What would it take...?

scythe

What would it take to make a band like Led Zeppelin today? Is it possible? What are the elements? And do you think the kids of this generation want to hear bands like Led Zeppelin come out of the wood work? Do you feel the bands are up to the task?

I definitely think kids this generation would want to hear a new band like Zeppelin. I would. I'm around kids all the time who love that genre of music, and some of them even play instruments. I'm not saying a new band that was similar to Led Zeppelin's style of music would replace them, but it would maybe get a classic rock revival thing going... And then no more Justin Bieber!

I think it already happened..........I think the closest band that has come to creating a similar musicality of Led Zeppelin, yet have been able to remain totally original, are the Stone Temple Pilots. Now don;t yell at me yet lol....... I am only saying that their song writing is pretty interesting in a lot of cases and they can rock with the best of them (Vasoline) and then folk it out too (Pretty Penny)......I am not saying they are equal to Led Zeppelin, in terms of fans, hit songs, musicianship, etc....but I will say that they have written some very interesting songs with some guitar chords that a lot of bands probably have never even heard of...

(The fact that STP covered Dancing Days has nothing to do with my thoughts)

STP- Had a great singer/lyricist, great Bass player, a guitar player who used different guitars to enhance what the songs sound called for, and a great feel drummer.......Hey if I didn't start this sentence with STP, you may have thought I was talking about Led Zeppelin...

My nephew is in a band. Indie type of music. He is 18 and the band have been together since he was 13. Fair play to them, they write their own songs, got a few records out there and sort of a record deal, but it is not my cup of tea. When they started I lent him The DVD and said watch the Albert Hall show - loud. This is what a band should sound like. He didn't watch all of it and said it was dull. Long haired druggies playing endless guitar solos WTF !! Maybe he should take another look? But each time I see him he disses the 70's. Oh well each to their own I suppose.

I definitely think kids this generation would want to hear a new band like Zeppelin. I would. I'm around kids all the time who love that genre of music, and some of them even play instruments. I'm not saying a new band that was similar to Led Zeppelin's style of music would replace them, but it would maybe get a classic rock revival thing going... And then no more Justin Bieber!

I'm glad you feel that way! You say classic rock revival, what do you mean by that? What is it in 'classic rock' that is appealing to you?

I'm glad you feel that way! You say classic rock revival, what do you mean by that? What is it in 'classic rock' that is appealing to you?

I was thinking that that 'classic rock sound' would become more mainstream, like how Maroon 5 or Lady Gaga is today. I hope that some more bands would come around that have the long live improvisations that the bands in the 70's had as well. People were saying bands like these already happened... But I really don't know because I'm immersed in the other bands that I know better.

What I love about classic rock is how influential they were on later music. So when my sister says Led Zeppelin is crap, I can say that without them some of her favorite bands would probably be doing something else.

What I love about classic rock is how influential they were on later music. So when my sister says Led Zeppelin is crap, I can say that without them some of her favorite bands would probably be doing something else.

That is very true.

So from what I gather, in order for a band today to reach the levels and expectations of Led Zeppelin, they'd need have the ability to jam?

That is very true.

So from what I gather, in order for a band today to reach the levels and expectations of Led Zeppelin, they'd need have the ability to jam?

Definitely. How they could switch things up spontaneously every night live is one of the reasons why Led Zeppelin is my favorite band.

Indeed they would have to improvise. Going back to my nephews band, they play the same songs exactly as they record them. A sort of Eagles if you like. They don't really have guitar solos - to me it's just chords and singing. No ability or opportunity to Jam. Jeez if one of them did the whole lot would collapse. That's what kept Zeppelin and other bands apart. I could lend him some boots - say from 1971/2 and tell him to listen and tell me which song was played the same EXACTLY on 2 nights running.

A great example, besides Zepp, are Deep Purple. You only have to watch Blackmore's nod or a wink or an arm to bring the band back in or out. Wring That Neck from 1970 on you tube is a testament to this

They don't really have guitar solos - to me it's just chords and singing.

I've noticed that guitar solos are almost non-existent in main stream music today. And if there is one it's so short it's meaningless and really wouldn't be missed. Chords and singing...

"It's just verses and chorus' "- As Jimmy Page said in the '80s...

there are still gtr soloes but not very good ones, a case in point last night at my sons xmas school variety i walked in late to what i thought was about 10 cats having their tails fed through a mangle, in fact it was a teenage rock band which is nice to find, but they were terrible especially the lead gtr i couldnt help chuckling to myself, then later i spotted this big lard-arsed biker type who i recognised as the guy who drives this ostentatiously loud trike around town. 'Wow i wonder whos dad he is' I thought, and fuck me on the way out he was complaining bitterly about 'oh, the gtr was out of tune, they should of let them stop, re-tune and start again'. Well i didn't like to say anything because he was bigger than me, but no amount of retuning coulda fixed that, and later when i mentioned it to my son he said that in the rehearsal, they were EVEN WORSE, still at least theyre trying, i just wish they werent trying around here.

Archived