Ravi Shankar passes away

The Pagemeister

RAVI_SHANKAR_1296140f.jpg

Sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar passed in San Diego on Tuesday. He was 92. He was admitted to the Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla last Thursday after he complained of breathing difficulties. He breathed his last at 4.30 p.m. Pacific Time.

The legendary musician and composer was India's musical ambassador and a unique phenomenon in the classical music worlds of East and West. He was well known for his pioneering work in bringing Indian music to the West.

He was active as a professional musician till the end and was one of the contenders for the next Grammys.

Scary how much musicians of that period of time pass away

RIP

That's why I tell everyone I know that if you still haven't seen your favourite band or artist by the time they turn 50, you better do so at the first opportunity Don't wait til next time, for there may not be a next time. For the sands of time are dwindling.

Ravi Shankar was one of the rare ones who was able to keep performing well past the usual age...much like Dave Brubeck. I first became enraptured by Ravi Shankar's music when I saw "Monterey Pop"...like most Westerners did. Later, I discovered his music for the Apu trilogy of films by Satyajit Ray.

I managed to see Ravi in concert 5 times in concert...about once a decade. The first time was when he was with George Harrison on his "Dark Horse" tour of 1974. The last time was last year at Walt Disney Hall. At age 91, he could still deliver the magic...he could still mesmerize an audience into reverence.

I'm going to miss him. Whatever he believed lay in store for him after his passing, I hope he's there as he wished.

• 10 months later...

this great musician will be sadly missed. god bless you. thank you for the music you have given us. r.i.p

geekfreak

for your passing i played your 10cds box set.

every life is pure.

the darkness will be.

over shadows by the.

LIGHT OF GOD.

Archived