Best 71' & 72 Japanese Tours bootlegs

lololabrute

This has probably been discussed and rediscussed but I finally would like to know if a decision can me made as to which boots are best to get for these infamous shows of the 1971 and 1972 japanese tours. It's exhausting to have to listen to 10 versions of each show and I'm wondering if there would be an easy way to list the best boot for each show.

Here's what i think - but please let me know if I'm wrong!!

Sept. 23rd 1971 - Tokyo: REFLECTION OF A DREAM (TDOLZ) / TIMELESS ROCK (WATCHTOWER)

Sept. 24th 1971 - Tokyo: LIGHT AND SHADE (TDOLZ)

Sept. 27th 1971 - Hiroshima: LOVE & PEACE IN HIROSHIMA (BUMBLE BEE)

Sept. 28th 1971 - Osaka: not sure... anyone?

Sept. 29th 1971 - Osaka: FATALLY WANDERER 929 (original Wendy release, not the remastered)

Oct. 2nd 1972 - Tokyo: LED ZEPPELIN IS MY BROTHER (EVSD)

Oct. 3rd 1972 - Tokyo: not sure... anyone?

Oct. 4th 1972 - Osaka: WILD WEST SIDE (Zoso's company)

Oct. 5th 1972 - Nagoya: SAKURA, LOOKING UP! (Jelly Roll)

Oct. 9th 1972 - Osaka: TAPES FROM THE DARKSIDE

Oct. 10th 1972 - Kyoto: not sure... anyone?

Would love to get anyone's opinion!

Can't speak for 1972, but for 1971 I like the following:

Sept. 23rd 1971 - Tokyo: Reflection from a Dream - TDOLZ, King of the Monsters - Fan Remaster, Flying Rock Carnival - No Label, and First Attack of the Rising of the Sun - Empress Valley

Sept. 24th 1971 - Tokyo: Light and Shade - TDOLZ, Balloon Boys Rock Carnival in Tokyo - Empress Valley

Sept. 27th 1971 - Hiroshima: Love & Peace Hiroshima - Bumble Bee

Sept. 28th 1971 - Osaka: Osaka Woman - No Label

Sept. 29th 1971 - Osaka: Fatally Wanderer Definitive Edition - Wendy (the original has too much noise-reduction), Cellarful of Noise - Noise Generator (vinyl source - incomplete but great sound)

The EV and WT 9/23 titles use similar sources, but according to Bootledz, the EV patched more of the cuts.

Wendy's Osaka 9/28 boot has a patch of Stairway to Heaven from the next night, 9/29, which is kind of weird. And it apparently has some noise-reduction noise on disc 3.

As far as I'm aware EV's "First Attack of the Rising Sun" and WT's "Timeless Rock" are identical.

For the first Osaka show on the 28th I'm guessing maybe Wendy's "Please Please Me"? there havent been many releases of it.

• 5 years later...
15 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

For the Budokan '71 shows I have THOTH (1994)

What source is that, does anybody know?

THOTH?

1997 TDOLZ released Reflection From A Dream (9.23) & Light & Shade (9.24)

Try BootLedZ.com & www.argenteumastrum.com for detailed source & release information

On 12.12.2012 at 4:43 PM, lololabrute said:

Sept. 23rd 1971 - Tokyo: REFLECTION OF A DREAM (TDOLZ) / TIMELESS ROCK (WATCHTOWER)

Try source 7: Flying Rock Carnival-No Label or Rock Carnival- EV

Oct. 10th 1972 - Kyoto: not sure... anyone?

Sept. 29th 1971 - Osaka: FATALLY WANDERER 929 (original Wendy release, not the remastered)

For Kyoto 72: The Old Capital - Wendy, best I`ve heard so far

For 929: Wendy's "Live In Japan 1971"  6 CD set, better than Fatally Wanderer, at least to my ears. You better wait for the SBDs of 928 & 929 by EV, once they are released, you can forget everything else.

On 12.12.2012 at 11:13 PM, cookieshoes said:

Sept. 24th 1971 - Tokyo: Light and Shade - TDOLZ, Balloon Boys Rock Carnival in Tokyo - Empress Valley

Do you think that Balloon Boys Rock Carnival in Tokyo is significant improved & less distorted compared to Light & Shade by TDOLZ?

18 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Do you think that Balloon Boys Rock Carnival in Tokyo is significant improved & less distorted compared to Light & Shade by TDOLZ?

IMHO, hell no. The EV version is very distorted/overloaded on the bass to the point where it's quite distracting. TDOLZ is noticeably less so and quite listenable. Still, I prefer the source on disc 1 of the TDOLZ version. Shame it's incomplete.

My ideal version of 9/23 would be using Rock Carnival up to Stairway, using EV's "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun" for Celebration Day and everything after the acoustic set, and using TDOLZ's "Reflection From a Dream" for the acoustic songs (since the EV source has pitch problems during those). My issue with the Rock Carnival source is that after Stairway, some extensive noise reduction/EQ has been applied. Bonham's cymbals sound a bit compressed and there isn't as much atmosphere/ambience as the first third of the source. I didn't realize how extensive the difference was until @porgie66 gave me a comparison:

The first video seems to have more warmth and depth compared to the 2nd. I don't know if the last 2/3rds of this source were from a higher gen or what, but there's clearly a noticeable difference.

As for the 27th, 28th, and 29th, EV's "Love and Peace", Lighthouse's "Osaka 1971 1st Night", and Wendy's "Live in Japan 1971 929" are the ones to get respectively, as least IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

superstars%20definitive%20924.jpg

Graf Zeppelin has just released another title, Super Stars: Definitive 924 Tapes. This six disc sourced from the second Tokyo show that took place on September 24th, 1971 contains one mono and stereo audience source. It is not known yet if any of tapes included with this new release are either upgrade or unheard material.

I think I shall get this one, as Graf  Zeppelin titles never let me down in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018/3/8 at 7:58 AM, Autumn Moon said:

superstars%20definitive%20924.jpg

Graf Zeppelin has just released another title, Super Stars: Definitive 924 Tapes. This six disc sourced from the second Tokyo show that took place on September 24th, 1971 contains one mono and stereo audience source. It is not known yet if any of tapes included with this new release are either upgrade or unheard material.

I think I shall get this one, as Graf  Zeppelin titles never let me down in the past.

Here it is.

"Heartbreaker"

http://twitsound.jp/musics/ts3mxo6Tc

"Thank You"

http://twitsound.jp/musics/tsAqo0rRq

enjoy!

6 hours ago, Blimp_Life said:

Here it is.

"Heartbreaker"

http://twitsound.jp/musics/ts3mxo6Tc

"Thank You"

http://twitsound.jp/musics/tsAqo0rRq

enjoy!

Domo arigato, I appreciate that very much. I have always thought that 924 is a great concert & it would deserve better sounding source tapes.

Much better than past TDOLZ & EV releases! I have ordered my copy already, but as it seems right now, it may take another 14 days til it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2018 at 4:53 AM, Autumn Moon said:

Domo arigato, I appreciate that very much. I have always thought that 924 is a great concert & it would deserve better sounding source tapes.

Much better than past TDOLZ & EV releases! I have ordered my copy already, but as it seems right now, it may take another 14 days til it arrives.

So is this a new source?

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

So is this a new source?

Yep! Most likely from the taper who recorded front row, the night before. The mono stuff I wouldn't place my bets on, but it sounds very similar to TDOLZ light and shade. Can't  compare anymore because I sold that one fifteen years ago

• 2 weeks later...

Archived