The Three Greatest Back-To-Back-To-Back Rock Albums Ever Recorded

Portishead: Dummy - Portishead - Third

Kraftwerk: Autobahn - Radio-Activity - Trans-Europe Express

Massive Attack: Blue Lines - Protection - Mezzanine

Bob Marley: Catch a Fire - Burnin' - Natty Dread

Sublime.

These are cagey choices. Dummy, Mezzanine, and Autobahn slay me every time. I would add Massive Attack's 100th Window.

Hey chillumpuffer, what the hell are skinheads on a boat?

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Hey chillumpuffer, what the hell are skinheads on a boat?

I answered this question already when someone (you?) asked on the foodie thread...it's beans on toast. I believe chillumpuffer's exact phrase was 'skinheads on a raft'.

Mel Tormé: Prelude to a Kiss, Tormé, Ole Tormé Mel Tormé and Billy May Go South of the Border, Mel Tormé Swings Shubert Alley, and Swingin' On the Moon,

He had another run of 3 back to back albums in the early 60’s which were amazing as well. Tormé was a recording giant, a man playing pond hockey against young children.

A few that come to mind are:

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Master Of Reality and Vol 4 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Sabotage.

Deep Purple: In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head.

David Bowie: Hunky Dory - Ziggy Stardust - Aladdin Sane

The Beatles: Rubber Soul - Revolver - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - White Album - Abbey Road

Led Zeppelin: I - II - III - IV - Houses Of The Holy - Physical Graffiti - Prescence

Iron Maiden: The Number Of The Beast - Piece Of Mind - Powerslave

Judas Priest: Sad Wings Of Destiny - Sin After Sin - Stained Class

Pink Floyd: Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - A Saucerful Of Secrets - More and Atom Heart Mother - Meddle - Obscured By Clouds - Dark Side Of The Moon - Wish you Were Here - Animals - The Wall (You can tell who are my favorite band. :D )

The Who: Tommy - Live At Leeds - Who's Next - Quadrophenia

The Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet - Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Exile On Main St.

Queen: Queen - Queen II - Sheer Heart Attack - A Night At The Opera - A Day At The Races - News Of The World.

Brother, you could say I was addicted to Jane's back in the 80s. From 1986 to 1991, I saw JA around 40 times. I even taped quite a few of their shows, including the last night of their 3-night stand at the Hollywood Palladium in Dec. 1990. It was among the cache of live tapes that were stolen during a home invasion robbery on Nov. 18, 1992. I do have a video of the first night, Dec. 18, and I have a boot tape and the official release of the second night of Dec. 19. The only JA show that I taped that I managed to salvage from the robbery was one of two Universal Amphitheatre shows I taped the following Jan-Feb 1991. Unfortunately, none of the opening sets I taped...Pixies and Primus in 90, Nine Inch Nails in 91...survived.

I hold early JA in the highest regard. Top Ten all-time band.

There's an official release of one of the Palladium shows? Did you attend all three Palladium shows? How were the Universal shows? Which "opening sets" are you referring to?

Have you ever seen the Milan 1990 show? I bought the VHS 15 years ago in a head shop in El Paso. I love the way that sounds.

Have you ever seen the Lollapalooza 1991 show in Ohio? Whores is one of my five favorite YouTube music videos, ever. Glorious anarchy.

Ok enough of me drifting off topic.

I am going to start an acoustic/folk trio: Skinheads On A Raft.

In The Light since 1972.

Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth release - Houses Of The Holy - Physical Graffiti ----- Led Zeppelin

Axis:Bold As Love - Electric Ladyland - Band Of Gypsys ----- Jimi Hendrix

Vol. 4 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Sabotage ----- Black Sabbath

Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa ----- U2

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street ----- Rolling Stones

Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down On The Upside ----- Soundgarden

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath-Paranoid-Master of Reality

Aerosmith: Get Your Wings-Toys in the Attic-Rocks

Judas Priest: Unleashed in the East-British Steel- Point of Entry-Screaming for Vengeance

Iron Maiden: Killers-Number of the Beast-Piece of Mind-Powerslave

I hold early JA in the highest regard. Top Ten all-time band.

There's an official release of one of the Palladium shows? Did you attend all three Palladium shows? How were the Universal shows? Which "opening sets" are you referring to?

Have you ever seen the Milan 1990 show? I bought the VHS 15 years ago in a head shop in El Paso. I love the way that sounds.

Have you ever seen the Lollapalooza 1991 show in Ohio? Whores is one of my five favorite YouTube music videos, ever. Glorious anarchy.

:lol: Guess you haven't heard of the search function here...or you would have found the answers to your questions, as I've posted about JA many times in the past. For example...

Yes, I saw all three 1990 Palladium shows...Primus and the Pixies were the opening bands. Then, JA played 4 shows at Universal Amphitheatre Jan 31-Feb 4 1991...with Nine Inch Nails opening. I went to two of these shows, 1/31 and 2/3. The difference between the Palladium and Universal shows was in a slightly different and longer setlist and the addition of violinist Morgan Fichter on the songs "Then She Did" and "Of Course" for the '91 tour.

I've got that Milan 90 on VHS and DVD. The Dec. 19 1990 Palladium show is included in the "Cabinet of Curiosities" that came out in 2010. I suggest you get one.

Yes, I love that "Whores" clip from the 91 Lolla so much that I'm sure I've posted it many times before. I also love the "Pigs in Zen" from 1988 Detroit! Raw and riveting.

A co-worker of mine is a fanatic about Graveyard! I heard them yesterday for the first time!

Wow! That's great! I hope you enjoyed listening to Graveyard! Good to know that your co-worker is a huge fan!! :D I know this is rather off topic but I highly recommend their second album Hisingen Blues. Don't get me wrong, I really love their self-titled debut and their third and latest album Lights Out but Hisingen Blues is (in my opinion) the best of the best! :)

Wow! That's great! I hope you enjoyed listening to Graveyard! Good to know that your co-worker is a huge fan!! :D I know this is rather off topic but I highly recommend their second album Hisingen Blues. Don't get me wrong, I really love their self-titled debut and their third and latest album Lights Out but Hisingen Blues is (in my opinion) the best of the best! :)

^^^ Another band that is new to me, thanks for the tip kiwi. I'll have to You/tube them. :)

On topic, my list of must haves for perfect back to back trilogies includes first and foremost....

1. Led Zep IV, Houses of the Holy and PG.

2. Pink Floyd DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Here are three more must have's that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet......

3. YES >>The YES Album, YES Fragile, and Close To The Edge.

4. Neil Young>> On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, and Zuma.

5. Steely Dan>> The Royal Scam, AJA and Gaucho.

That's the list I'm taking to the desert island if I ever go to one!

I'd include a Joni Mitchell trifecta (Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira) but the thread says Rock Albums.

I would favour Edge, Oceans and Relayer. Oceans is unfairly maligned IMO, mainly by people who have probably never even heard it lol

I never got around to buying Oceans due to the negative reviews. They weren't playing it on the FM stations either, so I wasn't aware of what I might be missing. I had read in Rolling Stone which I did subscribe to back then that it was overblown and pretentious and other similar comments. Since you know YES better than I do, I'll have to give Tales a listen. Hope they have it on You/Tube. I like Relayer too.

Back on the topic, I don't know if people will say this next very sucessful trilogy qualifies as Rock.

For dance tunes though, it is hard to beat it. (couldn't resist that one). :D Missy

Michael Jackson>> Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad.

:lol: Guess you haven't heard of the search function here...or you would have found the answers to your questions, as I've posted about JA many times in the past.

You participated in two threads where I stated that I went to pains to search the topic beforehand:

Caught up in the moment, I was just asking.

In The Light since 1972.

Guns n' Roses: Appetite for Destruction / Use Your Illusion I / Use Your Illusion II

Has to be three in a row. G N R Lies is in there, or I would have definitely included those three also.

In The Light since 1972.

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath-Paranoid-Master of Reality

Aerosmith: Get Your Wings-Toys in the Attic-Rocks

Judas Priest: Unleashed in the East-British Steel- Point of Entry-Screaming for Vengeance

Iron Maiden: Killers-Number of the Beast-Piece of Mind-Powerslave

Great choices!

Jimi Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love - Electric Lady Land.

^^^ Another band that is new to me, thanks for the tip kiwi. I'll have to You/tube them. :)

On topic, my list of must haves for perfect back to back trilogies includes first and foremost....

1. Led Zep IV, Houses of the Holy and PG.

2. Pink Floyd DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Here are three more must have's that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet......

3. YES >>The YES Album, YES Fragile, and Close To The Edge.

4. Neil Young>> On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, and Zuma.

5. Steely Dan>> The Royal Scam, AJA and Gaucho.

That's the list I'm taking to the desert island if I ever go to one!

I'd include a Joni Mitchell trifecta (Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira) but the thread says Rock Albums.

I put Joni Mitchell in my list, Missy, too...I don't see a problem including her. I also included Neil Young in my list, and I think several others have previously mentioned that trio of Yes albums.

I've noticed however, that some people are listing The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's-White Album-Abbey Road, forgetting that Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine are in between thise releases.

You participated in two threads where I stated that I went to pains to search the topic beforehand:

Caught up in the moment, I was just asking.

It was a light-hearted, joking comment, Pete...not meant to hurt you. Hence, the smiley face I used.

Floyd - Darkside, With You Were Here, Animals

Can - Tago Mago, Ege Basami, Future Days

Steely Dan - Can't buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic(could also be from Countdown to Katie Lied).

Talking Heads - Fear of Music, Remains in Light, Speaking in Tongues(or The Name of the Band is Talking Heads if you include live albums).

Shack - Waterpistol, HMS Fable, Heres Tom With the Weather(or Magical World of the Strands if you include the Strands)

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring, Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock(or Mark Hollis solo debut if you include that)

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left, Byter Lyter, Pink Moon

I've noticed however, that some people are listing The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's-White Album-Abbey Road, forgetting that Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine are in between thise releases

I can't believe I forgot that. :blush:

I also noticed some people are forgetting that Obscured By Clouds was inbetween Meddle and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Steely Dan - Can't buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic(could also be from Countdown to Katie Lied).

Can't believe I forgot Steely Dan!

Mine would be The Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho.

In The Light since 1972.

Sly & The Family Stone: Dance To The Music, Life, Stand!

Frank Zappa: Bongo Fury, Zoot Allures, Zappa In New York

Mastodon: Leviathan, Remission, Crack The Skye

What about Leonard Cohen? Motorhead??

In The Light since 1972.

Archived