Sol Studios

racerrr

Okay guys, I'm very confused about Jimmy's recording studio "Sol Studios".

On wikipedia, its says Sol was constructed in the early 1980's and sold to Jimmy in 1982. I also remember the band Vandenberg recording their first and second albums there. It also states the Jimmy recorded Deathwish 2, and that Elton John, Mick Fleetwood, and Jeff Beck all recorded albums there in the 1980's.

But there are some rather famous photos from 1973 showing Jimmy recording in his home studio, and the pictures claimed his home recording studio was named Sol Studios. I can't find anything else on the net, but there is a Sol Studios on facebook, but it appears to be a concert venue in Australia.

So, what's the deal on Sol Studios? Did Jimmy rename the place when he bought it? Does it still exist, and does Jimmy still own it?

Thanks.

Edited by racerrr

I thought that Jimmy's home studio was just his studio and not a named business. As for Sol Studios, I found this website: http://www.themillrecordingstudio.com/ . Apparently, It was called The Mill for a period. A man named Gus Dudgeon bought it to remix Elton John's albums. When Jimmy bought it, it reverted back to its old name, Sol Studios. After that, Elton John, Mick Fleetwood, and Jeff Beck used it in the '80s. According to that website, It is now a privately owned residence, not a recording studio.

Okay guys, I'm very confused about Jimmy's recording studio "Sol Studios".

On wikipedia, its says Sol was constructed in the early 1980's and sold to Jimmy in 1982. I also remember the band Vandenberg recording their first and second albums there. It also states the Jimmy recorded Deathwish 2, and that Elton John, Mick Fleetwood, and Jeff Beck all recorded albums there in the 1980's.

But there are some rather famous photos from 1973 showing Jimmy recording in his home studio, and the pictures claimed his home recording studio was named Sol Studios. I can't find anything else on the net, but there is a Sol Studios on facebook, but it appears to be a concert venue in Australia.

So, what's the deal on Sol Studios? Did Jimmy rename the place when he bought it? Does it still exist, and does Jimmy still own it?

Thanks.

I'm pressed for time at the moment, but suffice to say I've been to Sol Studios and will attempt to clarify here:

Jimmy's ownership of Sol Studios purposefully coincided with his 1980 purchase of a home, the Old Mill House in Clewer Village (near Windsor) in Berkshire which, from memory, is only about fifteen minutes away from the studio. By the way, Bray Studios in Berkshire is also not far from the Old Mill House and is where the last Led Zeppelin rehearsal was held on September 24, 1980.

Jimmy no longer owns The Sol, having sold it circa 1989. He had put the Old Mill House on the market at the time, but it didn't sell.

However, Jimmy no longer owns Old Mill House either, having sold it a few years ago.

I believe any photos purportedly taken at "Sol Studios 1973" were actually taken at Plumpton Place or Tower House, his primary residences at the time.

http://www.solmill.co.uk/gallery/index.html

Steve, with all this minutiae at your disposal, do you ever plan to publish a book? (Sorry if this question has been asked before)

I enjoy the unique, collaborative opportunity this forum and others provide but have no plans to publish any books at the moment. Mind you, I haven't ruled it out either.

• 8 years later...

I worked for Jimmy at the mill from 1981 for about 5 years . Amazing time . Mixing tbe last Zepp album coda . Recording the firm and tbe deathwish albums  and many other great projects . Mick fleetwood , Bill Wyman . Bad company . Twisted sister . Vandenberg and Elton . 

Edited by Stuart epps

9 hours ago, Stuart epps said:

I worked for Jimmy at the mill from 1981 for about 5 years . Amazing time . Mixing tbe last Zepp album coda . Recording the firm and tbe deathwish albums  and many other great projects . Mick fleetwood , Bill Wyman . Bad company . Twisted sister . Vandenberg and Elton . 

We'd love to hear more about working with Jimmy. Were there any other songs mixed for Coda that didn't make the album? 

10 hours ago, Stuart epps said:

Wow Stuart Epps ! Hello good sir ! We'd all love to hear some anecdotes from this time period ! Thank you !

I was fortunate to visit the Sol in 1988, but Jimmy wasn’t there haha beautiful facility in the English countryside