Xmas Ornaments, Trees, Wreaths, and other holiday decorations

LedZeppfan77

It was the facts as of 16th December. To be honest when I was growing up my Mum would put the decorations up 1 week before Christmas day and take them down 1 week after. :P

As a child we decorated the tree, Set up the manger sans baby Jesus and the three kings and hung the outside lights on Christmas Eve. The Presents and baby Jesus were placed accordingly by our parents after we nestled in bed. We then put the wise men in the manger scene on Jan. 2 and Everything was dismantled on the Epiphany Jan. 7.

Now, my wife puts the tree up the day after Thanksgiving. They hound the Dawg to put the lights up everyday until I relent (yesterday) because our neighbors put them up on Black Friday. The neighborhood heathens will take their lights down on the 26,

My question is. Why do we follow this new secular calendar for a religious occasion that is rooted in tradition?

I'll continue to leave the lights up until January 7. And I'll be the only one in the neighborhood for two weeks.

As a child we decorated the tree, Set up the manger sans baby Jesus and the three kings and hung the outside lights on Christmas Eve. The Presents and baby Jesus were placed accordingly by our parents after we nestled in bed. We then put the wise men in the manger scene on Jan. 2 and Everything was dismantled on the Epiphany Jan. 7.

Now, my wife puts the tree up the day after Thanksgiving. They hound the Dawg to put the lights up everyday until I relent (yesterday) because our neighbors put them up on Black Friday. The neighborhood heathens will take their lights down on the 26,

My question is. Why do we follow this new secular calendar for a religious occasion that is rooted in tradition?

I'll continue to leave the lights up until January 7. And I'll be the only one in the neighborhood for two weeks.

Most people here leave them up until well after New Years Day. We live in a colder more winter like area. I dont know if that has any affect? Sometimes the competitivness of neighbors can be annoying. The dumb ass's across the street that my neighbor calls the Adams family are so lazy they have their Halloween ghosts on the fence. The bitch that lives there looked at my wife with a scowl when my wife tried once to be friendly. To hell with them. At least the best neighbor is right next door. Even though his wife needs some schooling on decorating. She puts lights on half a tree in the backyard, no doubt because she cant reach any highter up. But it looks stupid. They will go to the west coast for the holiday so Mr Scrooge may find a way to cut the power supply to the lights.

• 11 months later...

We put our tree up last night........got the Graf Zeppelin up near the top.

That is great I gave in and let her buy a small artificial tree. I like real ones. The reason is our one year old cats. She fears they will be all over it. Maybe. Still sucks.

• 11 months later...

I was lazy last Christmas and only put up a small fake tree, and almost no decorations. This Christmas my gf and I are going to throw a Christmas party, and we're going to go all out --a real 9 foot tall tree with lots of ornaments, lights in all the windows, and lots of tasteful decorations inside and outside the house..

I was lazy last Christmas and only put up a small fake tree, and almost no decorations. This Christmas my gf and I are going to throw a Christmas party, and we're going to go all out --a real 9 foot tall tree with lots of ornaments, lights in all the windows, and lots of tasteful decorations inside and outside the house..

I really admire you for doing this. And I envy you. My wife has made it clear we have to go with our table top fake AGAIN this year, due to the work and the cats. We have had our share of real trees and I love them. Love the smell of pine. And I collect ornaments. I have some real old ones. And some special ones. I want one of Led Zeppelin. If anyone knows where to get a good one please let me know

• 1 month later...

This peg doll is affectionately known as "Aunt Sally". She is about 32 years old and has taken pride on front of our tree for many many years.

I bought her when I was little at a white elephant sale at a community center (no longer standing) and the reason why she was called that was because she reminded me of the Aunt Sally character from Worzel Gummidge (a kids tv programme many moons back based on a novel)

Her "dress" used to smell of cloves but the scent is long gone now.

post-19782-0-38642300-1418060303_thumb.j

This peg doll is affectionately known as "Aunt Sally". She is about 32 years old and has taken pride on front of our tree for many many years.

I bought her when I was little at a white elephant sale at a community center (no longer standing) and the reason why she was called that was because she reminded me of the Aunt Sally character from Worzel Gummidge (a kids tv programme many moons back based on a novel)

Her "dress" used to smell of cloves but the scent is long gone now.

attachicon.gifAunt Sally.JPG

I love ornaments. The special ones that go way back in time like yours. I am still reaching out to all of you to find me a Led Zeppelin ornament. I know there has to be one somewhere? I will have to check the store again I guess.

I have some real old ones that I was given in the 60's. My mother has ones that are older. This year we just have a table top tree. We have two cats and they would have a blast I am sure climbing the tree. The real tree we got a couple years ago they would drink the water. So anyone with pets beware, they will go for the tree water so use no chemicals.

I have some of the Rudolph collection ornaments. The Snow Monster, and Snowman (Burl Ives) and some of the toys from the Island of misfit toys. The Charlie in the Box and the spotted pink Elephant being my favs. The pink Elephant somehow got broke in half. Perfectly so I was able to super glue it. Hope all your decorating is going well

I love ornaments too. We pass them down from from parents to kids. I'm getting a bunch this year that were my great grandparents on my mothers side. We are big on writing the date on the bottom too.

The closest thing I've found to zep is me Graff Zeppelin that's always towards the top of the tree.... I love the peg doll Sozo!

Charlie in the Box is classic Rick...that's my favorite part of Rudolph...the island of misfit toys...that Lion always seemed pretty weird when I was a kid....lol

I love ornaments too. We pass them down from from parents to kids. I'm getting a bunch this year that were my great grandparents on my mothers side. We are big on writing the date on the bottom too.

The closest thing I've found to zep is me Graff Zeppelin that's always towards the top of the tree.... I love the peg doll Sozo!

Charlie in the Box is classic Rick...that's my favorite part of Rudolph...the island of misfit toys...that Lion always seemed pretty weird when I was a kid....lol

Well my pink Elephant is ok. Thanks to super glue. My Charlie in the box, Abominable Snow monster, King Moonraiser, Burl Ives snowman are all up. I wish I could find the train and pistol and some of the less famous ones. If you look closely, and Rudolph was on the other night, there are lots. My Grinch doll is on the bench. Our lights and small tree are up. I have more ornaments than I can fit. The cats are being rather good. My male did knock a couple bulbs down last night. They are fascinated with the snow. Looking out at it. And there is alot. I went out to fill the bird feeder and it was not easy to get through it. I have to get more suet, sunflower seeds for them. As my Cardinal has come back. Back to the ornaments, some of mine are from the 60s and some are far older. The old ones break easy though. The old oval ones. Hang on to those old ones. They are priceless. My search goes on for the Led Zeppelin ornament. i even have the Bills, Sabres and SU ornaments. My old Sabres one with the old uniforms broke. I think I have one still though as they returned to the old ones. I have several Bills and Sabres ornaments. But like you my favs are those from the Island of Misfit toys

I live the scent of a real Christmas tree but I'm too lazy to do the required work. I have a six foot artificial Virginia pine tree I decorate with white twinkle lights, red velvet bows, opalescent white balls, artificial candy canes and a red bead garland. I have a Father Christmas tree topper. He looks like Santa Claus with a white beard and hair but he wears a red velvet robe with white fur trim and carries a lantern. I purchased all of my ornaments (except Father Christmas; I bought him at Pier 1) at the Dollar General Store. You can't beat them for inexpensive decorations.

Zepscoda, how do you power your illuminated candy canes? Do they take batteries or do you use an extension chord>

I live the scent of a real Christmas tree but I'm too lazy to do the required work. I have a six foot artificial Virginia pine tree I decorate with white twinkle lights, red velvet bows, opalescent white balls, artificial candy canes and a red bead garland. I have a Father Christmas tree topper. He looks like Santa Claus with a white beard and hair but he wears a red velvet robe with white fur trim and carries a lantern. I purchased all of my ornaments (except Father Christmas; I bought him at Pier 1) at the Dollar General Store. You can't beat them for inexpensive decorations.

Zepscoda, how do you power your illuminated candy canes? Do they take batteries or do you use an extension chord>

They are powered by extension chords. The wreths are lit up by batteries and each have their own timer.

My wife's parents are driving in from Florida Tues. More tension here than on a tight rope crossing Niagra Falls. Can't do anything right. Back to he war zone (mall) later. I love Christmans but there is alot of stress. Buying gifts, and having to make sure you get it right.

Archived