Mass Shooting at Elementary School Connecticut 12/14/12

missytootsweet

Just saw this on the television. Figures are varying but appears between 20 -30 adults and children were shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut about 9:30 this morning. :'(

At least 10 children are confirmed dead.

A horrible, horrible, senseless tragedy.

I pray these families and the community will make it through and get all the support and they need.

This is not meant to be a political thread, but I feel compelled to say when is the USA going to take a look at our current gun laws? These tragedies are happening far too often. Only my thoughts, thanks for listening. Very upsetting to see this time and again....... :( Missy

I can't even imagine being a parent and having to deal with something like that. I usually ignore this crap because it's just so depressing, but I'm really curious what motivation an adult had to do something like this. The count is now 27 dead. Unbelievable ! :(

I can't even imagine being a parent and having to deal with something like that. I usually ignore this crap because it's just so depressing, but I'm really curious what motivation an adult had to do something like this. The count is now 27 dead. Unbelievable ! :(

And now they are saying there may be a second person involved and is arrested. That makes this sound different than a guy gone mad. The killer that killed himself, in his 20s, had a bullet proof vest and was dressed in black. But he had ties to the school so it sounds like an inside problem and not a terrorist act. But I am only going on what is reported so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20730717

Posted this link in the News stories thread. More coming out all the time.

Thanks for the link Knebby to update. I hadn't realized 18 children were dead and 8 adults. It's almost beyond belief. Elementary schools, Movie theatres, where does it stop?

LedZep77, they say there is a second suspect in custody now (on MSNBC).

Oops, I see you are one step ahead of me Rick and posted ^^^.

Thanks for the link Knebby to update. I hadn't realized 18 children were dead and 8 adults. It's almost beyond belief. Elementary schools, Movie theatres, where does it stop?

LedZep77, they say there is a second suspect in custody now (on MSNBC).

Edited for spelling.

This is sick. What is it, about these recent times, that compels some people to contemplate let alone carry out such horrific acts against others? If a society cannot be assured that all gun owners are responsible people then guns must outlawed entirely, zero tolerance. It is the only conclusion one can draw from this situation. A ban on guns could be similar to zero tolerance for drive and drink. It just is not tolerated.

What the hell?

That's what I wondered also. I've only heard it once on one channel but they did say a second person "involved" in the shooting was in custody. Also that 2 handguns were recovered. Yet, they keep say the 20 year old gunman is dead, as though it is a lone wolf. I also recall they said earlier they were looking for a red colored vehicle with the back window shot out (maybe a driver?) I'll post back if I can get more info.

So many sick, twisted, vile, deranged, evil people in this world that security is at best an illusion. It's not the method it's the madness.

I am buying a 9mm, 15 shot clip semi to try and stop assholes like this if I ever should be near something like this. They heard the shots over the intercom. Too bad they could not get them out fast enough. bastards. Press conference ongoing. I still have not heard if the cops shot this asshole or if he turned the gun on himself???

It keeps happening here because it's too easy to get a gun and we don't know how to treat mental illness effectively.

The profile is almost always men with paranoid schizophrenia who have easy access to guns. It wouldn't be "mass" without that method.

Guns will never be outlawed in the US. Too many coward politicians afraid to go against the NRA and too many people who believe owning a gun is a human right.

And we're too afraid as a country to discuss mental illness with any level of sophistication or empathy.

It keeps happening here because it's too easy to get a gun and we don't know how to treat mental illness effectively.

The profile is almost always men with paranoid schizophrenia who have easy access to guns. It wouldn't be "mass" without that method.

Guns will never be outlawed in the US. Too many coward politicians afraid to go against the NRA and too many people who believe owning a gun is a human right.

And we're too afraid as a country to discuss mental illness with any level of sophistication or empathy.

There are far many more responsible gun owners like myself than bad guys with guns. The bad guys are going to get the gun if they want it. Understand that. They will get it on the black market. So I dont want to hear any shit about gun control. We have a right to buy guns to protect ourselves from these type of assholes. If someone had a gun, a teacher, he may have got the prick sooner

Aren't we always so quick to label any of these shooters as people with a 'mental illness'??

I'm not buying that excuse any longer. There are countries who have strict gun laws and they've managed to survive just fine with low (if any!) homicidal rates.

This is ridiculous.

Aren't we always so quick to label any of these shooters as people with a 'mental illness'??

I'm not buying that excuse any longer. There are countries who have strict gun laws and they've managed to survive just fine with low (if any!) homicidal rates.

This is ridiculous.

I think some are mentally ill and some are just EVIL

I'm not buying that excuse any longer. There are countries who have strict gun laws and they've managed to survive just fine with low (if any!) homicidal rates.This is ridiculous.

Mental illness isn't an excuse nor is it ridiculous. It's a sad and horrible reality. Maybe you've never known anyone with paranoid schizophrenia but you might think differently if you had.

Strict gun laws not a lack of incidence of mental illness have more to do with low homicidal rates in other countries.

Every human being has the capacity to be evil - so yes, it could also be the case.

Here's a timeline of Mass Shootings -just one type of gun violence in the US - since 1982.

61 of them. So you're right hecube, it's not going to stop.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

How you gonna know who's good or bad, until something like this happens Rick? You ain't got a crystal ball.

Might as well just do a Charles Bronson act and go kill the ones you KNOW are bad for sure...street justice?

knock em' dead kid.

I understand what you are saying. But if one, just one teacher had a gun, perhaps he could have stopped the bastard? Weeks before Xmas and these parents have to deal with the unthinkable. We must be prepared and be responsible gun owners .

Wouldnt you think someone would have known this guy was going to snap?

Archived