Mass Shooting at Elementary School Connecticut 12/14/12

missytootsweet

So sad....there is time to debate gun control....I'm grieving for those poor children being subjected to such a horrible, life changing event at such a young age and the families who will have to do the unthinkable - bury your own child!

I am completely distraught over reading this.... :(

I think we all agree that this is sad Walter..We all think it's messed up "big time" and we grieve in our own way, but the topics here about gun control, etc are all related to this topic. I don't think anyone is downplaying the situation. It just sparked relative conversation to the topic and problem(s) we face here.

Have a good one brother.

I hear ya Rick, but like I said- How you gonna stop it (them) unless you KNOW for sure who's bad..??? Nobody knew this kid was gonna do what he did. That's why, I think the most effective method is to have more deputies or even military (if it had to be that way), inside the schools making their presense known even to outsiders. Even if it's just one or two standing outside of campus grounds too see who goes in and out of the building..........something.

Stricter gun laws would only do so much.. Point is, the low lifes shooting each other or innocent kids, etc. etc. are breaking the law to begin with...so how is enforcing it going to stop them from breaking the law they care nothing about in the first place? It's a situation that is to big to stop. Unless the government does a door to door sweep and confiscates every single firearm from every home and business, you will always have irresponsible people breaking the law and killing someone or something.

I haven't owned a gun since I stopped duck hunting when I was in my 20's. I had a 12 gauge Remmington automatic shot gun. And before that, it was only a Red Rider BB Gun, like Ralphy, from "A Chritsmas Story"..... :D So, I cannot speak on the procedure involved when it comes to buying a gun either at a store or one of those "Gun Shows". Do they do an extensive back ground check on the person before the sale? I would guess so...but to what extent?

Once you have the permit as I do, you still have a three day wait before you can pick up the firearm. I have a loaded 38 special in my bottom drawer with special ps in it. And a 12 gauge Ithaca model 37. I am going to go buy a 9 so I have a 15 round chamber. That way if some maniac comes calling or I happen to be near one, he is going to get the surprise of his life.

Once you have the permit as I do, you still have a three day wait before you can pick up the firearm. I have a loaded 38 special in my bottom drawer with special ps in it. And a 12 gauge Ithaca model 37. I am going to go buy a 9 so I have a 15 round chamber. That way if some maniac comes calling or I happen to be near one, he is going to get the surprise of his life.

I commend you on being a responsible owner, Rick. Unfortunately, not all are on the same wavelength mentally as you when it comes to carrying a weapon, as history has proved.

I commend you on being a responsible owner, Rick. Unfortunately, not all are on the same wavelength mentally as you when it comes to carrying a weapon, as history has proved.

Chances are this 20 year old maniac bought this gun on the street or on the black market. I hear he used an assault rifle and I am for putting control on these type of weapons. But not all. I am waiting to learn if the coward shot himself like they usually do or if the police took him out?

This fucker went to Hoboken NJ this morning and killed a relative and then drove to Connecticut and killed his mother and the children and then he killed the principal. But I am not sure if he in fact killed himself

Killed his father in Hoboken this morning

His last name is Lanza. Strangely the name of the school is Sandy Hook. Sandy is not a popular name lately. and Hoboken is in the news much too often. My daughter lives there

Ironically I was just at my son's elementary school for Field Day. I can't imagine the shock and horror the children faced, watching their classmates being shot and killed, having to live through the sounds of gunfire and the fear they experienced.

And for the families to lose their children and having to bury them during Chanukah or right before Christmas...beyond tragic. Totally incomprehensible and unnecessary.

Why?? Do the authorities know why the man did this? Is there really a second man involved?

I hear ya Rick, but like I said- How you gonna stop it (them) unless you KNOW for sure who's bad..??? Nobody knew this kid was gonna do what he did. That's why, I think the most effective method is to have more deputies or even military (if it had to be that way), inside the schools making their presense known even to outsiders. Even if it's just one or two standing outside of campus grounds too see who goes in and out of the building..........something.

Stricter gun laws would only do so much.. Point is, the low lifes shooting each other or innocent kids, etc. etc. are breaking the law to begin with...so how is enforcing it going to stop them from breaking the law they care nothing about in the first place? It's a situation that is to big to stop. Unless the government does a door to door sweep and confiscates every single firearm from every home and business, you will always have irresponsible people breaking the law and killing someone or something.

I haven't owned a gun since I stopped duck hunting when I was in my 20's. I had a 12 gauge Remmington automatic shot gun. And before that, it was only a Red Rider BB Gun, like Ralphy, from "A Chritsmas Story"..... :D So, I cannot speak on the procedure involved when it comes to buying a gun either at a store or one of those "Gun Shows". Do they do an extensive back ground check on the person before the sale? I would guess so...but to what extent?

But to live in essentially an armed camp can't be the way to go. That sort of action simply revs up the fear and there's enough of that going on since 911. Not all gun owners are deranged and about to shoot up a school, but their gun could be used by someone who would. Having no gun available would at least take gun violence out of the equation. Don't see how a compromise between no guns and guns available to everyone.

For someone upthread who is buying a gun to combat anyone on a shooting spree, that is dangerous thinking IMO. Emotionally yeah a lot of us would like to say we'd stop someone doing that, and we wish we could if ever in that situation. Reality is that you'd never encounter anything like this and your gun could be used against you or stolen and used illegally.

There comes a point when we all just have to say it ends. Full stop. The mentally ill need to be identified and treated but there have been people who have just snapped and because a gun was available people died, i.e. "he was such and nice and quiet neighbour".

Ironically I was just at my son's elementary school for Field Day. I can't imagine the shock and horror the children faced, watching their classmates being shot and killed, having to live through the sounds of gunfire and the fear they experienced.

And for the families to lose their children and having to bury them during Chanukah or right before Christmas...beyond tragic. Totally incomprehensible and unnecessary.

Why?? Do the authorities know why the man did this? Is there really a second man involved?

i have heard no more mention of a second man. He drove to Hoboken to kill his father and then to Conn to kill his mother and then he killed all those innocent people? Obviously he was after his parents. But why he chose to kill innocent children and teachers I have no clue. The president just spoke. And the investigation continues

To the above poster, the guns are already out there. You cannot stop guns from existing.

Thanks Rick. The last I heard of the story was around 11 this morning and the death toll that was known at the time was only a handful of students. For some reason the media said there might have been a second gunman. Now I come home from spending time with my son and his fifth grade class to all of this. It just doesn't make sense and it will never make sense I guess.

Is the gunman alive or did he kill himself? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Rick. The last I heard of the story was around 11 this morning and the death toll that was known at the time was only a handful of students. For some reason the media said there might have been a second gunman. Now I come home from spending time with my son and his fifth grade class to all of this. It just doesn't make sense and it will never make sense I guess.

Apparently he is dead, and the second man is his younger brother.

He is dead but they have not said whether he killed himself or whether the police took him out? But he was out to get his parents. Why he would kill innocent 5-10 yr old kids is beyond me. Terrible

Sorry to jump your post Knebby. I did not know about the brother.

I slept in late today so am only now just hearing about this horrific tragedy. I don't know enough to comment one way or another. Words won't make a difference anyway.

For those that live in the area, I only hope you or someone you know wasn't affected.

Man's inhumanity to his fellow men never ceases to amaze me.

I slept in late today so am only now just hearing about this horrific tragedy. I don't know enough to comment one way or another. Words won't make a difference anyway.

For those that live in the area, I only hope you or someone you know wasn't affected.

Man's inhumanity to his fellow men never ceases to amaze me.

This morning a 20 yr old lunatic drove to Hoboken NJ, killed his father, then drove to Connecticut and killed his mother in the school she worked in, Sandy Hook Elementary. then for reasons unknown he opened fire on children killing at least 18 and a total of around 30. He then killed the principal. He is dead but it is not yet known whether he killed himself or if the cops got him? That is it in a nutshell to get you up to speed

20 children and 6 adults dead. Some of these kids were just incredible, the survivors and how brave they were

just heard found dead. the shooter. Not official but sounds like he killed himself. Lanza was the last name

But to live in essentially an armed camp can't be the way to go.

Police and/or military presence doesn't always have to mean "fear". They are there as protection and should be viewed as a "friend" and "protector", to feel safe in a situation as this, or any other...in a school full of kids. Not as a mindset that "somethings about to happen".... They can be brought into the system (properly presented/introduced along with the correct education towards the students on "why") for the good reasons...not just as the thought of a possible mass murder spree.

Hell, they even use rent-a-cops (deputies on-call) at local school dances, etc. They are there as a "just-in-case" situation.....It could be just to prevent or stop a fight. Anything.

Better safe than sorry.

He is dead but they have not said whether he killed himself or whether the police took him out? But he was out to get his parents. Why he would kill innocent 5-10 yr old kids is beyond me. Terrible

Sorry to jump your post Knebby. I did not know about the brother.

No worries at all. The news is coming out in bits, as I suppose it would, on such a horriffic day of unanswerable questions.

My advice is to send healing vibes (or pray) to those involved and hug a loved one.

And dont let the media fix your attention on this either. It happened, its horrible, but life will continue and the world is not as dangerous as some would like you to think. Fear merchants love for people to be afraid. They like a dangerous environment.

Such a terrible tragedy. I can't even imagine what the families are going thru and the scars that will be left on everyone who survived. It's the work of pure evil

Archived