Mass Shooting at Elementary School Connecticut 12/14/12

missytootsweet

Have one handgun in the top drawer of my nightstand along with a flashlight. I have a shotgun inside the grandfather clock in the front hallway. I have another handgun by my reclining chair in the den which is the same one I take with me in my car to work everyday. I also have a take down (breaks down into two parts) scoped rifle in my "go bag" in the garage along with my emergency supplies.

The rest of my guns are locked in the gun safe in the closet.

Wow, your level of paranoia is quite high, either that or you are a real "gem" and you truly need the firepower to protect yourself. Either way, I pity you and your fearful existence.

OMG is the threat of a home invasion that bad that ppl need to sleep with Weapons next to their bed...A big risk if there are Children in the House IMO

Why not just buy decent home sercurity, Window and Door Alarms, maybe Sercurity Gates over Front and Rear Doors..

Leather Apron you sound like you are ready to go on the run with your ''go bag''..LOL

This is some scary shit...

Wow, your level of paranoia is quite high, either that or you are a real "gem" and you truly need the firepower to protect yourself. Either way, I pity you and your fearful existence.

So why did you join the Marines Sagittarius? To "protect" people I assume; which I honor you for btw. I would never assume it was "paranoia" over being attacked. Although, I beleive many on the left accuse our brave military of being convinced of that.

My point is that you of all people should understand the importance of being prepared and standing ready. You of all people should understand that to meet aggression with less or only equal force can have disaterous consequences.

Never bring a knife to a knife fight I say. Bring a gun if you can.

OMG is the threat of a home invasion that bad that ppl need to sleep with Weapons next to their bed...A big risk if there are Children in the House IMO

Why not just buy decent home sercurity, Window and Door Alarms, maybe Sercurity Gates over Front and Rear Doors..

Leather Apron you sound like you are ready to go on the run with your ''go bag''..LOL

You need to step back from you misconceptions about guns for a moment. You have already acknowledged that you don't know much about them and that they scare you. But being that you are an intelligent person you would also concede that even your own police unfortunatly do have a legitimate need for them at certain times, right?

Alarms, locks and lighting are only part of the security equation. And guns are not the only thing that help keep you safe. Having an overall security plan of action is important no matter where you live; but that plan is different depending on where you live.. you would concede this as well wouldn't you? Where you live in London is different than Chicago. Chicago is different than Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv different than Mogadishu.

Obviously you have to keep very young children away from guns.... same as medicines and housecleaning supplies. But you would be surprised how many children in America are by age 7, 8, 9 and so forth, introduced to and able to safely be around firearms in the home. Many children in America don't see guns as any different than Dad's power tools in the garage which they also aren't supposed to touch. I'm sure that for you, you would probably be a nervous wreck if an unloaded gun was just laying on your floor in a box. Am I right?

You need to stop seeing our situaton from your perspective, just as I accept that your situation is different than ours.

So why did you join the Marines Sagittarius? To "protect" people I assume; which I honor you for btw. I would never assume it was "paranoia" over being attacked. Although, I beleive many on the left accuse our brave military of being convinced of that.

My point is that you of all people should understand the importance of being prepared and standing ready. You of all people should understand that to meet aggression with less or only equal force can have disaterous consequences.

Never bring a knife to a knife fight I say. Bring a gun if you can.

Big difference between a combat zone and the civilian world. Yes, the civilian world holds dangers, however if those dangers equate in any manner the conditions of Iraq or Bosnia, then your arsenal will be justified. Until then, your cache is a bit over the top.

Call me crazy, or even a pussy if you will, but after what I have been through I pray I will never have to harm another human being as long as I live. Should a danger arise where I am forced to defend my life or the lives of others, I will still choose to incapacitate rather than kill. To be honest, if I did have to kill again, I think I would prefer death compared to the death of my soul. You see, regardless of how bad a person is, they are still a person, still a mothers child, still a vessel of hope, and when a life is extinguished, hope is extinguished. Anyway, sorry to ramble on.

Big difference between a combat zone and the civilian world. Yes, the civilian world holds dangers, however if those dangers equate in any manner the conditions of Iraq or Bosnia, then your arsenal will be justified. Until then, your cache is a bit over the top.

But based on that type of thinking we don't need troops standing at the ready in Western Europe, the Pacific and other parts of Asia or South America? Any place that is not a "combat zone" does not need a military presence in your view then? Not even our military troops prepared to defend our own shores?

My point was that being prepared is not wrong. Not wrong for the police, not wrong for the military, and not wrong for individuals. It's not because of paranoia that these preparations are made. It's because of knowing that at anytime evil people may decide to do harm.

Call me crazy, or even a pussy if you will, but after what I have been through I pray I will never have to harm another human being as long as I live. Should a danger arise where I am forced to defend my life or the lives of others, I will still choose to incapacitate rather than kill. To be honest, if I did have to kill again, I think I would prefer death compared to the death of my soul. You see, regardless of how bad a person is, they are still a person, still a mothers child, still a vessel of hope, and when a life is extinguished, hope is extinguished. Anyway, sorry to ramble on.

Fair enough. My father killed men and young boys during WW2. My father never said too much about it, but he did say that at one place in Germany the forces were mostly younger boys and many were killed. He felt bad about it, but he kept it in context by thinking about all of the innocent people he saw killed in Europe by the Third Reich.

You need to step back from you misconceptions about guns for a moment. You have already acknowledged that you don't know much about them and that they scare you. But being that you are an intelligent person you would also concede that even your own police unfortunatly do have a legitimate need for them at certain times, right?

Alarms, locks and lighting are only part of the security equation. And guns are not the only thing that help keep you safe. Having an overall security plan of action is important no matter where you live; but that plan is different depending on where you live.. you would concede this as well wouldn't you? Where you live in London is different than Chicago. Chicago is different than Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv different than Mogadishu.

Obviously you have to keep very young children away from guns.... same as medicines and housecleaning supplies. But you would be surprised how many children in America are by age 7, 8, 9 and so forth, introduced to and able to safely be around firearms in the home. Many children in America don't see guns as any different than Dad's power tools in the garage which they also aren't supposed to touch. I'm sure that for you, you would probably be a nervous wreck if an unloaded gun was just laying on your floor in a box. Am I right?

You need to stop seeing our situaton from your perspective, just as I accept that your situation is different than ours.

I am not criticizing your 'Right to Bare Arms' 'Leather Apron'

Guns don't scare me, I work on a farm where during growing Season shot Guns are used.

We own a Air Rifle and BB guns..And I am no more Nervous of a Gun laying in a Box than I am of a Power tool that is still plugged into the Mains when minors are about..

What I do find scary is the fear that Americans have of a Home Invasion, are they that common?

Yer I'm sure that most Children are taught about 'Gun Safety', the problem I have with Guns in the home is would 'These Mass Shootings' take place if the

perpetrators of these Crimes had not had a ready made Arsenal at Home, if they had to go and activley seek out illegal Fire Arms maybe some off these poor souls would be alive today.

The only place that I have seen Armed Police on a Regular Basis in the UK are at Air Ports, the rest of the time if Armed Officers are needed then the 'Armed Response Team' are called, so yes I can see the need for Fire Arms..

Maybe now is the time for the Criteria for holding a gun License to be changed, like having to undergo a 'Mental Health Examination'..

What I do find scary is the fear that Americans have of a Home Invasion, are they that common?

In some areas yes, but America is a big place and thankfully it doesn't happen everywhere. I live in a very nice area, beautiful homes and very little crime. I'd even say that you could probably leave your doors unlocked and leave for a week without a problem. But about 10 years ago a elderly man a few blocks away was killed by a paroled felon. The attacker was living with other family members across the street from subsequent to his parole from prison for armed robbery . The attacker had been watching the elderly victim for weeks and then one day decided to break into his home to steal from him, but then decided to murder the old gentleman rather than leave a witness.

I can assure you it happen enough that people would want to protect themselves. Just to a Google search of 'home invasion murder' and see how many links to stories you come up with.

Yer I'm sure that most Children are taught about 'Gun Safety', the problem I have with Guns in the home is would 'These Mass Shootings' take place if the perpetrators of these Crimes had not had a ready made Arsenal at Home, if they had to go and activley seek out illegal Fire Arms maybe some off these poor souls would be alive today.

Excluding crimes of passion (which I don't believe should be included in this discussion because they would happen anyway from other means), the incidents of mass shootings from legal gun owners going nuts is very rare. Too rare to take away the ability of people to protect themselves from the much larger threat by criminal like the one I noted above.

Maybe now is the time for the Criteria for holding a gun License to be changed, like having to undergo a 'Mental Health Examination'..

You already can't purchase a gun legally if you have ever been committed to a mental care facility or have been on certain medications for mental illnesses. But I have no problem with taking a harder look to screen these people out. But that usually just means actually enforcing the laws that actually exist.

^^^

Maybe before a Gun licence is granted to a 'Person' the whole Household should undergo some vetting, as it could be another family member who has got hold of the Weapon and gone on the Rampage.

As for preying on the Elderly that is just sick, I knew an Elderly Lady who lived in a Quiet Sleepy Village who was Murdered for a few trinkets, the weapon they choose in her case was a Pitchfork. If the Lady had been able to own a Gun would that have saved her I very much doubt it as there were 3 members in the Gang that Killed her.

It's good that not anyone is allowed to have a gun here in the Netherlands, else my neighbors would shoot at one another in a drunk stupor once a week.

(That would settle their noisy problems once and for all, but I doubt if it is a real solution to alcoholism)

OMFG is the threat of your kids getting shot at school that bad that ppl need to go on and on about this subject? I don't know the numbers but, IMO, they're more apt to get killed on the way to school my someone texting while driving.......maybe even someone texting about this subject!

That's even scarier shit....

OMFG is the threat of your kids getting shot at school that bad that ppl need to go on and on about this subject? I don't know the numbers but, IMO, they're more apt to get killed on the way to school my someone texting while driving.......maybe even someone texting about this subject!

That's even scarier shit....

Don't know why you have seen fit to dig my post out, I was having a conversation with Leather Apron..

The threat of my kids getting shot at school or getting run over by ppl texting is non exsistant as they no longer go to school, but yer 1 of them could quite easily get Shot in the 'Line of Duty'

Don't know why you have seen fit to dig my post out, I was having a conversation with Leather Apron..

The threat of my kids getting shot at school or getting run over by ppl texting is non exsistant as they no longer go to school, but yer 1 of them could quite easily get Shot in the 'Line of Duty'

Kate,did you make that cake?Did your teeth hurt? :wave:

^^^

Maybe before a Gun licence is granted to a 'Person' the whole Household should undergo some vetting, as it could be another family member who has got hold of the Weapon and gone on the Rampage.

What you are talking about is education and not regulation; common sense can never be regulated. What you are calling for is akin to making certain that everyone in a household proves that they know how to swim before the local officials issue a building permit for a homeowner to put in a swimming pool.

But based on that type of thinking we don't need troops standing at the ready in Western Europe, the Pacific and other parts of Asia or South America? Any place that is not a "combat zone" does not need a military presence in your view then? Not even our military troops prepared to defend our own shores?

My point was that being prepared is not wrong. Not wrong for the police, not wrong for the military, and not wrong for individuals. It's not because of paranoia that these preparations are made. It's because of knowing that at anytime evil people may decide to do harm.

Fair enough. My father killed men and young boys during WW2. My father never said too much about it, but he did say that at one place in Germany the forces were mostly younger boys and many were killed. He felt bad about it, but he kept it in context by thinking about all of the innocent people he saw killed in Europe by the Third Reich.

To answer your question, yes, all American bases and troops should be pulled from all foreign shores. We are neither policemen or empire, we do not need our soldiers on foreign soil (Korea being the exception, though UN forces should take over this role). Further, you can justify killing another human being to avoid the deaths of innocents, however reconciliation of the killing is another matter. Most soldiers are the same the world over, they are being fed propaganda on how the "other" is evil and must die. It is never the politicians who are held accountable, it is always the soldiers who must do the dirty work and then try to come to grips with the fact that they just killed a bunch of farmers, tradesmen, laborers who were indoctrinated to "protect" the father or motherland. I am not 25 anymore and I tell you this, unless an army invades this country, or another Hitler rises to begin world war and domination, we need to concern ourselves with THIS country and not stick our noses into every other country's business, especially the middle east. I also believe that unless Israel agrees to end the apartheid state immediately, we pull all support and aid to Israel.

Nothing personal, my comments are more of an effort to put things into perspective as this seems to be a private conversation.

To answer your question, yes, all American bases and troops should be pulled from all foreign shores. We are neither policemen or empire, we do not need our soldiers on foreign soil (Korea being the exception, though UN forces should take over this role). Further, you can justify killing another human being to avoid the deaths of innocents, however reconciliation of the killing is another matter. Most soldiers are the same the world over, they are being fed propaganda on how the "other" is evil and must die. It is never the politicians who are held accountable, it is always the soldiers who must do the dirty work and then try to come to grips with the fact that they just killed a bunch of farmers, tradesmen, laborers who were indoctrinated to "protect" the father or motherland. I am not 25 anymore and I tell you this, unless an army invades this country, or another Hitler rises to begin world war and domination, we need to concern ourselves with THIS country and not stick our noses into every other country's business, especially the middle east. I also believe that unless Israel agrees to end the apartheid state immediately, we pull all support and aid to Israel.

I dare say that your logic is all over the board Sagittarius. Either we become like Switzerland, or we settle for how the world around us turns out.

I dare say that your logic is all over the board Sagittarius. Either we become like Switzerland, or we settle for how the world around us turns out.

Maybe you are not reading my posts completely, I am very consistent. I have no problem with a person defending hearth and home, I do however have issue with guns in public. I have no issue with defense of sovereign nation, I do have issue with America's military footprint on just about every nation abroad, and the overthrow of other sovereign nations for our self interest or empire. Seems pretty consistent to me. You want to own a gun, fine, keep it at home or use them for hunting or sport shooting, no need to carry in public. America has every right to defend it's boarders, we do not however have the right to force our policy down the worlds throat in the name of "freedom" or any other propagandized buzzword.

Archived