Mass Shooting at Elementary School Connecticut 12/14/12

missytootsweet

His mother did.....fool

Now who is derailing? I was not name calling at least. Events like this bring out gun arguments. I am not trying to get in a fight over this Knebby. Its a very sad thing. But I dont think you can blame the guns. Its the asshole that had the guns. In this case I do wonder what a woman would be doing with two $700 9 mm defense/attack style weapons. That I agree is not right. Whoever sold her those guns should be investigated

Now who is derailing? I was not name calling at least.

This was a direct response to someone and a return use of the name-calling - and not derailing IN THE SLIGHTEST since it was about the guns and who owned them. Funny how you can ignore the post that prompted my response.

This was a direct response to someone and a return use of the name-calling - and not derailing IN THE SLIGHTEST since it was about the guns and who owned them. Funny how you can ignore the post that prompted my response.

You accused me directly Knebby? Or did I read it wrong?

post number 167

The matter of gun control in the United States is likely never to be solved. The most important factor to consider here is the civilian's right to protect themselves against tyranny. There is a fear amongst Americans if the US government took their weapons away, they'd be completely defenseless against them. We are people of rebellion as you all know. And on the other side, Americans also have a fear that their government would not be able to sufficiently defend their citizens in a time of war.

Having said that, I don't agree that every Tom, Dick and Harry has the right to own one or an arsenal of weapons. In fact, there are laws in several states that ask for a full history of the mental stability of an applicant when applying for gun permits. But the rules are seldom followed and there are many places to buy weapons without proper identification, you only need cold hard cash. And a lot of these guns are being redistributed by the police departments.

But the problem here isn't exactly gun control, is it? This is the new society of America that we've carved out for our children where anything goes, apparently.

Let's examine...Is murder uncommon in American culture or pop-culture?

The matter of gun control in the United States is likely never to be solved. The most important factor to consider here is the civilian's right to protect themselves against tyranny. There is a fear amongst Americans if the US government took their weapons away, they'd be completely defenseless against them. We are people of rebellion as you all know. And on the other side, Americans also have a fear that their government would not be able to sufficiently defend their citizens in a time of war.

Having said that, I don't agree that every Tom, Dick and Harry has the right to own one or an arsenal of weapons. In fact, there are laws in several states that ask for a full history of the mental stability of an applicant when applying for gun permits. But the rules are seldom followed and there are many places to buy weapons without proper identification, you only need cold hard cash. And a lot of these guns are being redistributed by the police departments.

But the problem here isn't exactly gun control, is it? This is the new society of America that we've carved out for our children where anything goes, apparently.

Let's examine...Is murder uncommon in American culture or pop-culture?

And your points are very good. Realize they have acknowledged there are enough guns already on the streets and owned that it would be a useless effort to try and take every gun off the streets. The black market alone you can buy one in a snap. If the bad guys are going to have them, then the good guys need to have one too.

I think its time to have armed gaurds in all the schools. And we should ban automatic guns, you dont use them to hunt, and a shot gun can defend a home just fine.

Things like this never bother me but when its kids, it does i feel so much for the familys what a horrable thing to have happen, my prayers go to them.

I think its time to have armed gaurds in all the schools. And we should ban automatic guns, you dont use them to hunt, and a shot gun can defend a home just fine.

Things like this never bother me but when its kids, it does i feel so much for the familys what a horrable thing to have happen, my prayers go to them.

Now I can live with that. Remember those two maniacs that had the shootout with the LAPD? The father and son? It led to the police using more powerfull weapons.

#1fan, you're asking for a police state. Is that what you want? If you're putting them in schools, next they'll be at your malls and grocery stores.

Wouldn't it just be easier to look at our society and make changes, for the betterment of future generations? Now is the time to do that, with the economic quicksand we're in and huge increase in crime already. It will only get worse, this mass shooting of children is proof of that.

I'm WELL aware of that. One mass shooting in the 16 years since. I'd say that makes it a success compared to the record in the US. FACT.

(And that's CumbRia)

And I'm just gonna add, the word "success" was tasteless there, I'm sure it wouldn't be considered that by the relatives and friends of those in Cumbria - it was a horrible day.

Emotional reaction and differing opinions to what has transpired is natural and understandable but here's my 2 cents on the gun issue as I think it relates to yesterdays events and other events just like it.

What good is it to have a gun to protect yourself when for all intents and purposes, you are not going to be the one who shoots first ? All the guns in the world were not going to protect those poor children from this madman anymore than they would have protected any of us had we been sitting in a public gathering and he'd walked in. Yes, one of us might have gotten off a shot and put an end to it but, not before many had already been killed.

Well he broke down the door a armed person could have shot him then, so it would have helped imo.

You know what? I don't see ANYONE trying to establish that any country is BETTER than the US.

However, we are actually discussing gun ownership , and what I am trying to demonstrate is that there IS a precedent for gun law being changed successfully.

If you take that as me trying to say "Nerr nerr we're better than you" and not "I wish you would consider this as it might save the lives of some of your citizens" that says far more about you than it does about me.

Anyway I'm leaving this thread for now - Planted I realise that as a US citizen you are hurting right now. The world sends its sympathy to your country, truly. My country is no better than yours, I am no better than you.

I hope you as a country find a way to deal with this in the future that is better and safer for you all.

Now I can live with that. Remember those two maniacs that had the shootout with the LAPD? The father and son? It led to the police using more powerfull weapons.

yeah didnt they go to a gun store to get better guns.

This was a wicked act, but this doesn't mean gun control is the answer. It is not the guns that kill people, people kill people. Perhaps we can start there in order to "make the world a better place" if that is even possible.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

A common argument but there is one loophole: Guns make it spectacularly easy for one person to kill another.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

The bottom line, much like the fight against terrorism, there is no defense against the lone attacker who has made the decision to kill himself and others.

We can institute precautions - as we already have - but the nature of liberty in our society is what allows these attacks to happen.

That was my point all along.

Archived