Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Charles J. White

Why I'm an Unhip Music Listener

I never liked despite trying many times, Bruce Springsteen. Rush is a rock band that never did anything for me, and left me feeling slightly confused, bored, and cold. R.E.M is a political band that bored me so much that the only song I like by them is a cover of Draggin the Line. Yoko Ono was always a complete and utter joke to me. And last but not least, I don’t read Rolling Stone Magazine or care if Simon and Garfunkel ever tour again.

Edited by Charles J. White

^^^

That's all perfectly fine and understandable, Charles, but I don't see where hip or unhip fits in. I don't think anyone has considered Rolling Stone hip since 1972.

I can actually agree and feel the same way with everything you stated.

EDIT: Liking Rush does not make a person "hip". Plenty of dorks like that band.

Edited by Texas Melanie

I agree with almost everything you said... but Yoko Ono is just a twisted Salvador Dali trying to sound like King Crimson on drugs...with Glossalolia and stuff...

I agree with almost everything you said... but Yoko Ono is just a twisted Salvador Dali trying to sound like King Crimson on drugs...with Glossalolia and stuff...

That actually sounds interesting.

I feel your pain. :soapbox:

Some bands I don't care for:

Grateful Dead

Aerosmith

(Springsteen is a given)

Hip Hop ( a polite name for crap)

Whitesnake

Poison

Billy Joel

Most of the crap on the awards shows.

I feel your pain. :soapbox:

Some bands I don't care for:

Grateful Dead

Aerosmith

(Springsteen is a given)

Hip Hop ( a polite name for crap)

Whitesnake

Poison

Billy Joel

Most of the crap on the awards shows.

I don't like most of the bands on your list, either, redrum, but again I fail to see the "unhip" connection. Nobody that is so-called "hip" likes Billy Joel, Whitesnake, Poison, Bruce, Aerosmith, etc.

So in actuality, you and Charles are hipper than you realize.

I never liked despite trying many times, Bruce Springsteen. Rush is a rock band that never did anything for me, and left me feeling slightly confused, bored, and cold. R.E.M is a political band that bored me so much that the only song I like by them is a cover of Draggin the Line. Yoko Ono was always a complete and utter joke to me. And last but not least, I don’t read Rolling Stone Magazine or care if Simon and Garfunkel ever tour again.

OMG, I have never liked Springsteen either, and I've always felt I should keep that to myself in public. Hell, I still take crap about Zepp and Petty, who is my first love, once in awhile, but I work in academia and most of my friends are country/pop. But, whomever gives me crap always says they think Zepp is 'cool'.

You know what else, Charles? 2 artists I cannot resist if I hear on the radio..BeeGees and Manilow. Take your shots! Haha

OMG, I have never liked Springsteen either, and I've always felt I should keep that to myself in public. Hell, I still take crap about Zepp and Petty, who is my first love, once in awhile, but I work in academia and most of my friends are country/pop. But, whomever gives me crap always says they think Zepp is 'cool'.

You know what else, Charles? 2 artists I cannot resist if I hear on the radio..BeeGees and Manilow. Take your shots! Haha

Barry Manilow writes the songs that make the young girls cry . Pretty cool in my book.

Add me to your unhip group, please. Geddy Lee's voice makes me physically ill (and it was higher and worse when he was younger). Yoko "Oh No" should never be allowed near a mic. I don't care who tours; I won't pay $100 for a ticket and hate stadium shows. I loathe Phil Collins and if I ever find my ex's white album with the pastel blobs on it, it dies. I never read Rolling Stone and see no reason to start now.

Nobody that is so-called "hip" likes Billy Joel, Whitesnake, Poison, Bruce, Aerosmith, etc.

Really?

What people do forget or not realize though is that back in the glory days all the top acts of the time like Jefferson Airplane, Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, etc were actually considered to be POP (!) And that made sense since the music they were playing and producing really WAS POPular practically worldwide...So it was HIP and RAG, Maaaan!

Nowadays, if you'll go to a modern nightclub or w/e and ask the DJ to play you a Hip song, he'll most likely put on Justin Bieber or some dance mix of Adele...

Times they are a changing! :-\

Edited by Neon Genesis

You named some good ones (or should I say bad ones) I agree with you about. Bruce Springsteen had me with Born to Run, but after Born in the USA (possibly one of the most boring and overplayed radio songs ever imo), he lost me for good.

Rush is a band whose music I don't know. Yoko Ono can't sing at all.

Also, I never cared much for Journey, Styx, Boston, or Kansas either. Those bands were never anywhere near the musical might of Led Zeppelin, imo. Maybe that makes me the un-hippest of all?

and I don't think that Simon & Garfunkel were ever "hip" either

Uh oh, Houston we have a problem.....nah, just kidding! I like Simon and Garfunkel quite a lot. How can you not like them for this classic alone? :) Missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlTn5xnozE

Edited by missytootsweet

I can't agree with you on one thing...Don't underestimate Kansas!

In my humble opinion Kansas is far more underestimated compared to Rush.

If you haven't really been much into that band or haven't heard much from them, try getting your hands on their albums: "Leftoverture" and "Point of No Return", and if you fail diggin' into them then it means that Kansas is just not for you...The same thing with Jethro Tull basically... it's either a win or fail....

Edited by Neon Genesis

If you ain't hip you might be hop.

Maybe you are an unhiphopper which is actually quite cool.

Personally I like Mock music and don't listen to too much Grudgerock.

Barry Manilow writes the songs that make the young girls cry . Pretty cool in my book.

I saw Barry Manilow at the Hollywood Bowl this past 4th of July. He can still bring it...and he makes ALL the girls cry, young and old! Lots and lots of estrogen flowing in the Bowl that night.

Really?

Yes, really. At least in my neck of the woods and by the standard meaning of 'hip'.

I wonder if people are confusing 'being hip' with 'being popular'? Certainly Poison, Billy Joel and the like were popular...but they were never hip.

I don't count the people who wear Poison and Ratt t-shirts ironically...they may wear a shirt but they don't listen to the music.

A dance mix of Adele? Is that actually possible?

Of course! If they can do a dance mix of Gregorian Chant, Adele's a piece of cake. ;)

Oh, and here's that drink you were asking for. :beer:

Also, I never cared much for Journey, Styx, Boston, or Kansas either. Those bands were never anywhere near the musical might of Led Zeppelin, imo. Maybe that makes me the un-hippest of all?

No, it actually makes you hip and quite smart, actually, that you never wasted your time and money on that MOR corporate rock schlock. Again, those bands might have been popular, but never hip.

I don't get Bruce Springsteen either! I fail to understand what's so great and legendary about his music. I "like" R.E.M because of just 1 song : "Losing My Religion". Pretty obvious I know and maybe there was so much more to R.E.M than just that one song, but I just don't get it. I don't know much about "Rush". My dad is crazy about them! I tried to get in to their catalogue, but of no avail. My mom raves about Simon and Garfunkel but I have tried so hard to give their songs a chance, but I honestly, find them really boring!

I have been called "uncool", "unhip" and "boring" so many times during my high school days and my days at Uni, that I have just lost count. Why? Because apparently, according to my peers, I listen to bands which are "meant for old people". Yes, Led Zeppelin was unfortunately included in that category. I have been questioned quite a few times as to why I choose to listen to bands my mom and dad appreciate. Also, my classmates considered it "hip" and "cool" to listen to bands like "Linkin' Park", "Good Charlotte", "Green Day", "Kings of Leon" and "Creed".

Sometimes, I honestly think that rather than choosing to listen to what the masses or even your own peers, friends or co-workers deem as "hip" and "cool", just go with your gut feeling and your personal taste when it comes to choosing what to listen to! Ask yourself, will I in my heart of hearts really enjoy that? Music taste is afterall something very personal and well, just because the hip crowd likes a particular artist or genre, doesn't mean that you have to follow suit and allow such folks to dictate your taste :) And by no means should you call yourself "unhip"!

BTW, I have a confession to make. Except for the album "The Dark Side of The Moon" (which I really do appreciate), I honestly don't get the Pink Floyd catalogue, at all! I guess I am one of the few people to make such a statement, but hey, each to his own! ;)

OK, final edit. Confession number 2: I can't stand Bob Dylan! There! I said it! To me, all his songs sound the same and yes, his music is most certainly, "an aquired taste" :wacko: If this makes me "unhip", then so be it! :P

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

BTW, I have a confession to make. Except for the album "The Dark Side of The Moon" (which I really do appreciate), I honestly don't get the Pink Floyd catalogue, at all! I guess I am one of the few people to make such a statement, but hey, each to his own! ;)

OK, final edit. Confession number 2: I can't stand Bob Dylan! There! I said it! To me, all his songs sound the same and yes, his music is most certainly, "an aquired taste" :wacko: If this makes me "unhip", then so be it! :P

GET HIM!!!! LOL

I was just looking back over old threads and noticed this one. Sorry to disappoint you Babs but Bruce Johnston wrote "I write the songs" not big ears. Edited by joe (Liverpool)