Do Zeppelin Fans like the Grateful Dead?

scythe

Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the grateful dead?

• I don't know who I love more, Zeppelin or Grateful Dead!
    • Yes, I have them on my IPOD
    • They did a couple good songs...I guess.
    • This is a joke, right?

^ Al, you would have liked the "DeadTunaBand" - who covered The Dead, Hot Tuna, and The Band. Unfortunately, they're not together anymore. Jeff, their bassist now plays for "Reckoning". Hot Tuna is still a great band to see - especially if it's just Jorma and Jack, doing acoustic sets. I don't think their shows are as good, when the get a lot of guest musicians on stage with them - it ruins their chemistry, and Jack definitely turns his volume down.

^ Al, you would have liked the "DeadTunaBand" - who covered The Dead, Hot Tuna, and The Band. Unfortunately, they're not together anymore. Jeff, their bassist now plays for "Reckoning". Hot Tuna is still a great band to see - especially if it's just Jorma and Jack, doing acoustic sets. I don't think their shows are as good, when the get a lot of guest musicians on stage with them - it ruins their chemistry, and Jack definitely turns his volume down.

Thanks for that, jimmie! I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Wished I could've made it out to Chitown to see the Dead this past weekend. Last time I saw them was '95 a little before Jerry's passing.

I LOVE Zeppelin & I LOVE the dead. And just like many fan's in both camps I have my fav touring years, LP's and songs.

For me with Zeppelin it's 1970 the medleys during WLL and HMMT's are INCREDIBLE!

For me with the Dead I like 1971's Not Fade Away, etc and then again in 1980 for Fire On The Mtn and Franklin's Tower.

Like the Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox it's ok to like both!

• 2 weeks later...

At the age of 11, I discovered Led Zeppelin and thought the band was the greatest ever. Nothing could possibly top hearing the first few chords of Good Times Bad Times for the first time. I purchased every album and played them non-stop.

At the age of 16, I was given my first bootleg tape of a Grateful Dead concert. Dismissive of hearing Casey Jones and Truckin, I decided to at least give it a listen.

Haven't listened to a single Zeppelin album since.

I find it funny that this guy signed up here just to post this. ;)

At the age of 11, I discovered Led Zeppelin and thought the band was the greatest ever. Nothing could possibly top hearing the first few chords of Good Times Bad Times for the first time. I purchased every album and played them non-stop.

At the age of 16, I was given my first bootleg tape of a Grateful Dead concert. Dismissive of hearing Casey Jones and Truckin, I decided to at least give it a listen.

Haven't listened to a single Zeppelin album since.

Once upon a time this wasn't all that uncommon. Back when following the Dead from show to show was a serious lifestyle choice. Scoring doses and chasing the next "Dark Star".

• 2 years later...

I like them both. Dark Star and Dazed And Confused are two songs with the most active musical evolution in the rock world. These two groups were maybe the most organic improvisers in rock. Thing is, Grateful Dead never tried a "brutally majestic" approach similar to Led Zeppelin, that's why they never attracted as many fans as Led Zeppelin. They didn't try approach their audiences with an "overlord" attitude, which some people do like. But I love both bands.

I like the Dead; they're no Zep, but I enjoy them quite a bit. While I don't think their range was as wide as Zep, they do incorporate a bunch of different styles into their sound; blues, country, Americana, etc.

Unlike Zep, they did not have a strong vocalist (here's a joke... if you get an email titled, "Phil Lesh singing Eyes of the World, DO NOT OPEN IT!!!  It is Phil Lesh singing Eyes of the World. Hardeharhar). It's almost painful to listen to the singing sometimes, which is unfortunate as the lyrics are usually great.

I'm not a huge fan of the long and ramble-y Jerry tunes and losing Pig Pen really changed the direction of the Dead. For me, they're just not "rocking" enough, especially the post-Pig Pen stuff. I've seen them live with Jerry (kinda boring, to be honest) as well as the offshoots, Rat Dog, Phil & Friends, Further. It's an entertaining show, but not Zep, for sure.

Mr. EaglesOfOneNest is a HUGE Dead fan, but I've gotten him more into Zep lately... On Friday nights, we fire up the sound system, turn on the disco ball and rainbow lights and find old Zep concerts on YouTube. I can't remember which concert we were watching, but he said, "Wow, I never realized Zep was a.... JAM BAND!". Hmmm, not really, but yes, they could go off on amazing, improvisational tangents. 

• 3 years later...

First off, Led Zeppelin was potentially the best rock band ever to grace this floating sphere.  Since Led Zeppelin is one of the top selling artists of all time, they have appealed to many music types, but also the general population.  Now, The Grateful Dead can be hard to understand, even for people who are specifically deep into music.  So, do Zep fans like the dead?  Probz not my friend.  I personally think The Grateful Dead was probably my favorite band of all time!  If you think they suck that’s understandable, but frankly you’re just wrong sorry!

Edited by Leyawiin
Posted same thing twice

First off, Led Zeppelin was potentially the best rock band ever to grace this floating sphere.  Since Led Zeppelin is one of the top selling artists of all time, they have appealed to many music types, but also the general population.  Now, The Grateful Dead can be hard to understand, even for people who are specifically deep into music.  So, do Zep fans like the dead?  Probz not my friend.  I personally think The Grateful Dead was probably my favorite band of all time!  If you think they suck that’s understandable, but frankly you’re just wrong sorry!

Edited by Leyawiin

Yep, I was only listening to American Beauty (reality) Quad version just the other day. I have all the studio albums digitally and a few live shows.

Check these out, they could relate to LZ shows. Anyone who is obsessed with bootlegs will relate to these clips.

Edited by JTM

I have the In The Dark album which I like, and my favorite song of theirs is Touch Of Grey, I like a couple of other songs of theirs and my sister gave me one of their DVD's not sure why, maybe because of their artwork she figured I'd like them, I've never watched the entire show, it gets too boring.

Not a big fan, but yes I like them, have a couple of friends who love them and it's their favorite band.

Edited by RainbowElf
Typo

Haven't heard much of their material and never saw them live. I can understand why people are intrigued by them, and I think they're an interesting topic of conversation to a point, but that whole hippy counter-culture genre was never my cup of tea. The older I get the less regard I have for anything Left coast.  

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

...I'd rather be dead than a fan of the Dead.

and one day you will get your wish. The real kick in the balls would be Jerry Garcia greeting you at the pearly gates with a big grin and, "welcome my son, come on in, the Dead concert is about to begin. They made us the house band up here. Groovy baby"