Who Still Believes that Led Zeppelin ended 27 years ago?

DBJ

A lot of people have said they believe Led Zeppelin ended with the death of John Bonham, and generally speaking, they are and would be right. After seeing the Video for O2 however, I feel like Zeppelin has been reborn.

I think Jason very much held up the standard of his father, at the very least he came very close, and that says a lot considering that John has spent more time as Led Zeppelins drummer in a single mid 70's marathon concert than Jason has all together.

To make it apples to apples you'd have to go back to when Zeppelin where still calling themselves the New Yardbirds, to compare relative experience.

Imagine how good Jason would sound with a hundred or more shows under his belt.

Before seeing the videos from O2 I contemplated what they needed to make it Led Zeppelin. Page and Plant were not Zeppelin, maybe it was because they didn't expand the songs like Zeppelin did back in the day.? Well O2 didn't expand the songs either but it was still Zeppelin.

I've heard it said that this was not so much Led Zeppelin as much as it is Led Zeppelin 2.0, and I think that sums it up the best.

It's a bit of a paradox, because there are a lot of things missing from the new band that until now where considered crucial parts of the mix. ( expanded songs, long drown out solos, and endless primal screams), but somehow there is a certain quality to it that IS Led Zeppelin. One that wasn't seen with Page/Plant, or any other partial combo of the 4 current members.

Even with the songs rewritten in a lower key, and at times sounding somewhat awkward the first few times they're heard. You realize this is not The Song Remains The Same, but that some how they still managed to get it right and your pleasantly O.K. with it.

If anything what we are hearing is the Modern Led Zeppelin that fits perfectly in 2007 and beyond. that is perhaps the greatest success of all. They've proven they still have it. Not just as they were, but as a group that still has meaning today.

If memory serves, the press release that ended Zeppelin in December, 1980 had words to the effect that they "could not go on as they were". Cryptic then, strangely prophetic now. Monday the mighty Zeppelin seemed to have evolved into something new. It was felt around the world. I wonder if they even realize........................... The hammer of the gods was heard in the 21st century and it was good.

As to the original question - yes and no is the shorter answer to DBJ's self-analyzing question. :D

I think the Original Led Zeppelin was laid to rest in 1980 - culminating with the end of a decade of excesses (not just Led Zeps but American society in general) and the death of the greatest drummer in the world, Zeppelin was simply gone. As great as Jason is, I don't think he or any other drummer (not even Neil Peart and especially not Keith Moon nor Cozy Powell for obvious reasons) can ever bring the level of brilliance in drumming to the songs in the Zeppelin catalogue that Bonzo brought. I remain blown away to this day with the drumming on Achilles' Last Stand, and yet Bonzo left his signature on all of the Zep songs.

That being said, December 10th 2007 at the O2 Arena witnessed the Resurrection of Led Zeppelin, literally a phoenix rising from the ashes, things are different (no Bonzo, no 25 minute songs, no Achilles' Last Stand, no excesses, youth long gone).

What remains the same are the songs (pun intended) and the vitality and passion of the band. Not only is Jason Bonzo's son by blood and DNA, he's also a very humble-seeming and forthright man, the only person who could occupy that drum seat. And he's a great drummer as well.

This New Led Zeppelin should definitely record and tour!

-- Krish Tewari, MD

AFAIC;it's Led Zeppelin II.

A very big part of what Led Zeppelin had was chemistry between the four members.

The original four members.

As great as Jason is as a drummer-and he is great,he's not John.I don't mean in the sense of his ability as a player,I mean him as a person.He may have a very similar personality to his father,but the key word is "similar".He's got a whole different background,a different upbringing,and a different personality.In other words;he's his own man.He's not just John Bonhams' son,he's Jason Bonham.

I don't think Jimmy,Robert,and John Paul are the same people as they were in 1980;but I do think that,had Bonzo lived,if nothing else,they would have stayed on the same wavelength ,at least to a degree.Since Jason isn't a traveller of both time and space;there's certian things even he can't do.

....especially be John Bonham.

....and he shouldn't.

They are different now. But still amazing. And isn't that what really matters?

Had the concert gone poorly it would not have been Led Zeppelin. But it had that air of magic. Of power. Of the greatest band of all time.

It was Led Zeppelin that played on Monday.

Led Zeppelin, did die with the death of John Henry Bonham, I do not know if they

will reform, people I know and work with have said it is wonderful that Johns son

is sitting where his Dad sat. In a way for that magical evening they were re born

but if it is here to stay we will all have to wait and see. We can hope, and pray they

will come round again, but listening to a rare DVD that I have with interviews,with Robert, jimmy and John Paul, which was recorded sometime ago, they say No they would not reform, but they have for that night, but that could be for Ahmet, and they will not come back who knows.

I hate the idea of something happening that causes you to think you can't go on from there. It's all about renewal and rebirth and all that good shit, to me. Like Saved said, they still had the magic, and that's what's important - believing that you CAN go on despite things inevitably changing. Of course it's not the same Led Zeppelin from 27 years ago - you can't stop time - but it's still a good Led Zeppelin now.

I think the fifth element has been rekindled.

I find it amazing that if you take the story about how the original Led Zeppelin first got together and played, it almost parallels the descriptions coming from the first rehearsals from this outing.

Jason might not be an exact duplicate of his father, but whatever he is 1+1+1+1 now once again equals 5.

IT is Led Zeppelin! not led zeppelin II or led zeppelin 2.0 or the New Led Zeppelin... simply Led Zeppelin.

We're AC/DC ACDC 2 when bon scott died?

We're Metallica, not metallica after the passing of cliff burton?

the answers here are yes, they are still the same band, only a member has passed on...

Sure it wont be a carbon copy of the show produced before the death, but it is still a great show... and lets face it, if john bonham was here today, he wouldnt be drumming EXACTLY the same way... styles develop, and evolve... having his son on drums is the natural progression or, evolution of Led Zeppelin... Not led zeppelin, becoming led zeppelin 2.

The main songwriter is still here, the vocals are here, even the rhythm is the same, the only thing that differs is the person sitting in the stool...

Stop overanalysing it, and respect Zeppelin, for being Led Zeppelin, and stop trying to label them as a re-hashed band, they are THE band!

End Of

You know, I think what happens now doesn't really matter.It was very obvious to me that on 12.10.2007 we saw a miracle that we only dreamed could happen.

For a brief couple of hours Led Zeppelin bestrode the earth once more.

And they nailed it!!.

You know, I think what happens now doesn't really matter.It was very obvious to me that on 12.10.2007 we saw a miracle that we only dreamed could happen.

For a brief couple of hours Led Zeppelin bestode the earth once more.

And they nailed it!!.

B) B) B) B) B)

Archived