Another senseless shooting, in my neck of the woods

LedZeppfan77

How did an ex-con get a weapon?

He obviously ignored the hundreds of gun laws already on the books like most criminals do. I'd like to know why someone who beat his grandmother to death with a hammer (another lethal tool) ever gets out of prison?

But seriously, I heard some of the news coverage today and they were replaying a radio call from one of th e firefighters asking for police to respond with 'assault weapons' to take out the killer. Imagaine that? When people need to save their lives against a mad killer, nobody has a problem with these rifles. So who out there would have complained if one of the good guys was just your average law abiding homeowner who went for his "assault rifle" and helped stop this killing today? Who would have a problem with that?

Oh, but I guess some people just think a baseball bat is all a homeowner should be entitled to?

If one more person asks why anyone needs a so-called "assault rifle" I hope they think about what happend today.

Now that this has happened to emergency workers, I would expect the police will have to be on hand to protect firefighters and paramedics etc., at first responses.

As for giving them weapons of their own, that is not feasible because they would only hinder them.

If they carried a loaded gun there is a high probability that ammunition would discharge from the heat of the fire, it may not be lethal but they are still placed in a dangerous situation.

This only highlights how easy it is for criminals to get guns, it certainly does not show reason for ordinary citizens to have them.

Let the cops use them that is their job.

How did he get released from prison at all?

The US legal / parole system.

Now that this has happened to emergency workers, I would expect the police will have to be on hand to protect firefighters and paramedics etc., at first responses.

That's like saying: Now that terrorists have flown planes into buildings, all buildings will need to have anti-aircraft guns mounted to the roofs.

This only highlights how easy it is for criminals to get guns, it certainly does not show reason for ordinary citizens to have them.

Let the cops use them that is their job.

So since you banned guns in Oz, no criminal has ever again used a gun down there?

How did he get released from prison at all?

The US legal / parole system.

He was only convicted of manslaughter for some bizarre reason. The DA's had prosecuted him under 2nd degree murder, but for some reason he was only convicted of manslaughter. Maybe he didn't mean to beat a 92 year old woman to death with a hammer; maybe he just had a bad day.

My guess is that the jury was not made up of right wing pro-gun anti-crime people like me. Probably a bunch of liberals on that jury.

That's like saying: Now that terrorists have flown planes into buildings, all buildings will need to have anti-aircraft guns mounted to the roofs.

If you had your way they would.

So since you banned guns in Oz, no criminal has ever again used a gun down there?

Guns aren't banned here, only people who want to own them with better reasons than taking the law into their own hands can access them.

Criminals will always get hold of guns even down here and they have used them but they are usually only used between themselves usually bikie gangs.

Thankfully there haven't been many innocent bystanders caught up in them.

The cops don't hesitate to shoot anyone if they are a perceived threat whether the crims use their weapons or not.

He was only convicted of manslaughter for some bizarre reason. The DA's had prosecuted him under 2nd degree murder, but for some reason he was only convicted of manslaughter. Maybe he didn't mean to beat a 92 year old woman to death with a hammer; maybe he just had a bad day.

Plea bargaining perhaps? Another screw up initiated by US lawyers.

He should've been put away for the term of his natural life.

If your last comment was meant to be funny, FAIL!

My guess is that the jury was not made up of right wing pro-gun anti-crime people like me. Probably a bunch of liberals on that jury.

Nor should it be totally stacked one way or the other. Isn't that what the sixth amendment is all about?

Awful.

My husband is a FF/Paramedic with 32 years on the job.

In January 1991 he and his partner were responding to a domestic along with the police when shots were fired from inside the house through a window, the target being the ambulance and police car. Luckily, no one was injured and the shooter was apprehended, prosecuted and is currently serving time. He is scheduled for release in 2014 or 15, I believe.

The reason I have time to post this morning is because he is working his 24hr shift today.

May I be so bold to ask if you drive by a firehouse today, just give a little nod or even stop in and say thank you. These men are often the unsung heroes and I have often said they are like an insurance policy. You don't think about them until you need them. That's all I have boys and girls.

Merry Christmas.

Thank God this homeowner was afforded his Second Amendment rights.

Yeah, ledded1 - a home invasion.

This goes out to SagittariusRising, and everyone else who insists that a gun owner, faced with a situation requiring use of their weapon, wouldn't be able to be very effective.

I think you'll find when someone - especially a parent - is faced with danger, they often are able to step up and perform, which is human nature.

We are hard-wired to face challenges, especially when they are possibly life and death challenges.

But without being afforded our Second Amendment rights, we would find ourselves severely handicapped against determined criminals.

http://www.officer.c...g-home-invasion

14476_318465114933602_1127152972_n.jpg

Thank God this homeowner was afforded his Second Amendment rights.

Yeah, ledded1 - a home invasion.

This goes out to SagittariusRising, and everyone else who insists that a gun owner, faced with a situation requiring use of their weapon, wouldn't be able to be very effective.

I think you'll find when someone - especially a parent - is faced with danger, they often are able to step up and perform, which is human nature.

We are hard-wired to face challenges, especially when they are possibly life and death challenges.

But without being afforded our Second Amendment rights, we would find ourselves severely handicapped against determined criminals.

http://www.officer.c...g-home-invasion

Type-O,

What is wrong with you man? Why are you not willing to accept that a gun will eventually seduce even a good person into doing evil deeds? That homeowner may have gotten lucky this time; but next time he might just use his gun to invade his neighbor's home and steal their stuff. Without any guns people will finally realize that they don't need to do bad deeds.

LOL! Even talking sarcastically liberal doesn't feel right. I feel like I need a shower.

Type-O,

What is wrong with you man? Why are you not willing to accept that a gun will eventually seduce even a good person into doing evil deeds? That homeowner may have gotten lucky this time; but next time he might just use his gun to invade his neighbor's home and steal their stuff. Without any guns people will finally realize that they don't need to do bad deeds.

LOL! Even talking sarcastically liberal doesn't feel right. I feel like I need a shower.

FYI.

liberal

adj.

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behaviour of others; broad-minded. (that rules you out).

c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.

d. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

a. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.

b. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.

3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.

4. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

a. Archaic Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.

b. Obsolete Morally unrestrained; licentious.

n.

1. A person with liberal ideas or opinions.

2. Liberal A member of a Liberal political party.

Archived