Another senseless shooting, in my neck of the woods

LedZeppfan77

Thanks for that, not sure I would ever use the Nazi analogy in my discussions or arguments.

Meh, it kinda covers any resorting to the extreme type of name-calling in order to top the other.

Basically, getting so far outside the original context of the debate that it's become outlandish and unrecognizable.

Anyway, Reswati's a good guy for trying.

I enjoy discourse and whatnot, but I was certainly close to pulling the plug on myself in that it becomes too complicated to go back and re-state what's already been stated, and then try to re-explain that.

And that's where I felt I was close to here.

Besides, my wife doesn't get off work until 11:30 p.m., which is why I continue to entertain the responses as I do.

I'm nowhere near as ornery on Facebook.

Anyway, not only do we both share an appreciation for Zeppelin, I've also been a huge Don Martin fan ever since I was a kid, reading Mad magazines every month.

See, I'm not completely fucked up.

Meh, it kinda covers any resorting to the extreme type of name-calling in order to top the other.

Basically, getting so far outside the original context of the debate that it's become outlandish and unrecognizable.

Anyway, Reswati's a good guy for trying.

I enjoy discourse and whatnot, but I was certainly close to pulling the plug on myself in that it becomes too complicated to go back and re-state what's already been stated, and then try to re-explain that.

And that's where I felt I was close to here.

Besides, my wife doesn't get off work until 11:30 p.m., which is why I continue to entertain the responses as I do.

I'm nowhere near as ornery on Facebook.

Anyway, not only do we both share an appreciation for Zeppelin, I've also been a huge Don Martin fan ever since I was a kid, reading Mad magazines every month.

See, I'm not completely fucked up.

Makes two of us in much of the above.

I like the verbal challenges too.

It's clear we don't agree with each other's politics and certainly about the use of guns leading to why we are in this thread and the Newtown one. Different cultures and beliefs around guns, you are proud of yours and I'm proud of mine. I guess we have both hijacked this thread in our tennis match and perhaps it's been disrespectful to the firefighters children and teachers who lost their lives recently.

Godwins law makes sense although I would not resort to Nazi analogies even though some of my mother 's family were executed by them in Belgium during the war.

So I am prepared to call it a day fighting you on this thread but I guess we may well cross swords at other times but maybe we will stick to the point given that we seem as stubborn as each other. Good job we didn't get really personal. There are a couple of others here who won't let it drop no doubt but they are no big deal.

We Brits aren't the pushover some people think and there are fewer liberals here than you would think.

Reswati stepped in at a good point so good for him.

Don Martin is my favourite cartoonist and I used to buy mad magazine regularly and have many of the DM books.

I'm more sarcastic in real life than I am online and have never really been fucked up, I have helped many who have though in my work..

Mister chill out already. The man was just trying to help you understand the difference between tomato sauce and KETCHUP. That hardly makes him a xenophobic racist.

But not sure how the British/Commonwealth get the concept of tomato sauce so wrong, other than the fact that there is a distinct lack of decent food in those countries. In every other country in the world; 'tomato sauce' is never confused with a condiment. Even if French "sauce tomate" is different than classic Italian marinara--- NOBODY anywhere thinks ketchup is tomato sauce.

So what do you call fire where you are from? I hope it isn't "oooooh"?

All countries call things different names but are basically the same thing.

Simple semantics.

We call what you call tomato sauce, tomato puree.

Ketchup (which is derived from the Malay word kechap which was primarily a fish sauce most likely "discovered" by the Dutch was adapted by America with different ingredients to become tomato ketchup), is what we and other Commonwealth countries call tomato sauce.

Personally, I like them both as they are unique with their own flavours.

I prefer to eat "chips" as french fries are more like pieces of string with either, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and vinegar, tomato sauce / ketchup, chilli and sour cream, gravy or even just plain.

It's almost lunch time so I might have some today.

A lack of decent food?

You are talking through your arse on that one, mate, especially someone coming from a place that leads the world in bad nutrition and obesity.

We have some of the best seafood found anywhere in the world and we have prawns, not wimpy shrimp as you call them and what we use as bait.

Beef, lamb and many fruits and vegetables and so on.

Do some research before you start bagging others.

We call fire, FIRE, especially this time of year being bushfire season that thankfully so far has been a quiet one for a change.

Carry on.

I prefer to eat "chips" as french fries are more like pieces of string with either, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and vinegar, tomato sauce / ketchup, chilli and sour cream, gravy or even just plain.

A lack of decent food?

You are talking through your arse on that one, mate, especially someone coming from a place that leads the world in bad nutrition and obesity.

I always love your demonstrations in irony Bruce.

Good job mate!

Wow!

Deranged fucker in New York thread weaves into talk of ketchup and tomato sauce.

Interesting morph. I dig reading everyone's opinions.

Well, as much as disagree with the liberals here who want to take my guns, at least this thread demonstrates that people who are not criminals are only capable of arguments about ketchup, and not likely to ever do each other any real harm.

Because everyone in this thread debating is not the problem.

Well, as much as disagree with the liberals here who want to take my guns, at least this thread demonstrates that people who are not criminals are only capable of arguments about ketchup, and not likely to ever do each other any real harm.

Because everyone in this thread debating is not the problem.

If your first reaction to a shooting is "DEM LIBERALS AIN'T TAKIN MAH GUNS AWAY" then you need to sort out your priorities.

Happily, the recent presidential election has demonstated that the angry white males who embarrass US conservatism (and these threads) are a shrinking bloc of voters whose influence is in terminal decline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/us/politics/tea-party-its-clout-diminished-turns-to-fringe-issues.html?pagewanted=all

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

If your first reaction to a shooting is "DEM LIBERALS AIN'T TAKIN MAH GUNS AWAY" then you need to sort out your priorities.

Red herring.

My first reaction is to be sorry for the vitims and their families, which I assume should be the first reaction of the liberals. However, I could list scores of these incidents where the very next "reaction" is always some liberal chucklehead, usually a politician or some talking head in the media, calling for more "sensible gun control".

It's the liberals in this country who never let a tragic incident go by without trying to turn it into political capital.

Hurrican katrina- It was George Bush's fault

Gabby Giffords shooting - It was Sarah Palin's fault

The Grinch steals Christmas - It was the ghost of Ronald Reagan

Red herring.

My first reaction is to be sorry for the vitims and their families, which I assume should be the first reaction of the liberals. However, I could list scores of these incidents where the very next "reaction" is always some liberal chucklehead, usually a politician or some talking head in the media, calling for more "sensible gun control".

It's the liberals in this country who never let a tragic incident go by without trying to turn it into political capital.

Hurrican katrina- It was George Bush's fault

Gabby Giffords shooting - It was Sarah Palin's fault

The Grinch steals Christmas - It was the ghost of Ronald Reagan

Never seen any liberals make any of those claims. Besides, it is true, we do need more gun control. Of course we don't need to outlaw guns, but more gun control makes sense.

Never seen any liberals make any of those claims. Besides, it is true, we do need more gun control. Of course we don't need to outlaw guns, but more gun control makes sense.

How did the gun control we already have help in any of these recent shootings? Why is okay to use armed guards to protect our money at banks, but not okay for private individuals to protect themselves?

How did the gun control we already have help in any of these recent shootings? Why is okay to use armed guards to protect our money at banks, but not okay for private individuals to protect themselves?

Meh, I am done with this thread. I am not smart enough to debate, I don't have enough knowledge or sense about this stuff to really debate. I concede to you.

Archived