KENNEDY CENTER HONORS DEC 26

led zep maniack

The posts that mentioned Plant looking bored, way off the mark. In my 41 yrs. of following him as a fan, I have never seen him so emotional. You could see he was fighting it very hard. Very moving to see. Also, Stairway, which has had a complicated relationship with Plant and fans alike over the years was revived as the historic song it is with a very moving performance. Felt real, real good to be reminded of the emotional impact on the culture of that song through the years. Great job by all muscians in giving tribute to the boys.

I think another thing about Stairway for Robert was the multitude of Bonzo hats and seeing Jason up there...He immediately stood up when Jason came out so maybe it was more memories and feelings than just the song itself....Heart did a nice job though....

WOW was awesome !!,Seeing Robert so emotional made me feel that way too I think it did bring it full circle the song STH just shows how america loved and still loves this song. Its strength and feel good and spiritual all in one !!!! :) :)

how ironic that the one song plant avoids, ends up being the one that brings a tear to his eye!

Or, it was the memory of Robert's bandmate, John Bonham, that brought a tear to his eye. Yes, I think that's it, over Ann & Nancy Wilson moving the great Robert Plant to tears.... Really ???????

Not to be a naysayer and piss on an evening honoring Zep...... I just found it kind of demeaning to have Jack Black do the intro. I get JB and what he's all about and I like that he's a fan, but it just goes to show you what the "establishment" really thinks of Zep. It's almost like they are a guilty pleasure to the high-brow. Zep, to me was/is a seriously game changing force in music. Compositionally, performing and recording as serious as any high brow Jazz or Blues maestro. What they did to and for rock music can never be underestimated. Zep is MORE than a "rock on dude" perpetual teenage phase. That they were so gracious, and could laugh at themselves and could enjoy the "common folk" nature of their fans is testament to their broad appeal, but in my opinion, they belong in a place of high honor equal to the most classic artists. What say y'all?

I heard that CBS edited more of what Jack Black had to say, so what we got to see on T.V. was not 'satisfactory' (and this even includes the documentary thingy). It's clear that Jack is a fan, and it's never easy having to stand in front of your idols and say all you really want to especially when there are political big whigs sitting in the audience and might not understand a damn thing he's talking about. I think he did a good job even with the little we saw.

I like and respect Jack Black. He's funny and VERY talented in a campy sort of way. I even dig that he "gets" Zep sincerely. Yet no-one would mistake him for a "serious" authority on music, or in any way serious about anything.

So who did you want doing the introduction for them?

They weren't a band that took themselves THAT seriously, so I really don't see why Jack's performance should be frowned upon because he's not 'authoritative' enough when it comes to music. Besides, the fellas looked like they enjoyed his presentation and that's all that matters.

[We can just thank small mercies it wasn't Steven Tyler doing the honors]

So who did you want doing the introduction for them?

I actually was fine with Jack Black's intro, but since you asked...

I thought it would have been interesting to have Pete Townshend do the honours. Pete is articulate and eloquent and a fellow Kennedy Center Honoree, to boot. My mind reels at what Pete would have said, hehe.

Or perhaps Cameron Crowe could have done the honours and maybe done a better job than Jack Black of placing Led Zeppelin's importance in the musical firmament.

I actually was fine with Jack Black's intro, but since you asked...

I thought it would have been interesting to have Pete Townshend do the honours. Pete is articulate and eloquent and a fellow Kennedy Center Honoree, to boot. My mind reels at what Pete would have said, hehe.

Or perhaps Cameron Crowe could have done the honours and maybe done a better job than Jack Black of placing Led Zeppelin's importance in the musical firmament.

Hmm...pretty good choices there. Can't argue with that one (well...Townshend though....)

And couldn't really stand him declaring Led Zeppelin as the best band of all time. He said exactly the same on The Who a while ago hence his words have absolutely no value.

Oh, I didn't know that. That does cheapen his remarks (which I loved). However, I'll always treasure the sight of JPJ, Robert & Pagey laughing heartily at Jack recounting the "sold their souls" rumor.