Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate and Latte' drinkers

LedZeppfan77

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's some geeky shit for anyone interested: the caffeine found in mate and matcha has a slightly different chemical composition than the caffeine found in coffee and black tea. Coffee and black tea hits your central nervous system in a different way than the caffeine found in matcha and mate.

With coffee, you get a big spike then a crash comes a few hours later. With matcha and mate, you get the same alertness but it's much gentler on the CNS.You get the rise in alertness and it maintains for a steady 4-6 hours. Additionally, the two different caffeine types are synergistic - they work very well together. On top of all THAT, if you drink enough of match or mate, you get a slight buzz and feeling of euphoria.

My morning routine is to throw some matcha (it's a powder) into my protein shake and also have a few cups of strong black tea. Works like a charm.  😀 

On 3/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, chef free said:

I gotta have Peet's (every day since about 1980...)

The whole family runs on caffeine!

Peet's is bomb. I remember the fist time I had their coffee .. you look into the bins where the beans are on display, and they're all shiny. The extra oil is what gives it all the extra caffeine. They don't do put it on display anymore, but I thought it was cool when they did. 

I'm not a huge coffee drinker, and I don't drink tea at all. Love hot chocolate if prepared properly. I get an iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts every Sunday and a frappuccino from Starbucks every other Friday. That's it. No hot coffee, and I don't drink coffee during the week otherwise. Never developed a taste for it really, and I don't need coffee in the morning to wake up/get functional.

Never had a single cup of coffee until I was 34 years old.  I worked Afternoons for 14 years.  There was no reason to be alert or wake up for anything.  Now I grind my own.  Timmy's, Dunkin, Eight o' clock, anything but Starbucks.  If it's ground, I prefer Hills Bros. over Maxwell House or Folgers.  Every morning it's some coffee, a smoke, and then it's, you know!

The #1 question from my rural tent camping days.  Where are we going to get some coffee tomorrow morning? :Thinking:   

21 hours ago, slave to zep said:

Mostly decaf these days.

Twining English breakfast  for tea.

Hot chocolate is too sweet.

Exact the same as us two Jules. Decaf Coffee- instant or Cafetieere . Mrs CP more than than me. Tea. Any really, we have loads of varieties as you would expect. Hot Chocolate?? Nah too sweet as you say

I am totally using Keurig only now.  I love that Starbucks Veranda blonde but have been drinking this assortment of 7 they have at Costco.  I joined them after being with BJ for a few years and might return to BJ next time?  Too damn crowded at Costco.  But back to the coffee, the variety pack, that is now out of stock, has Caribeau, Costa Rica, Dark Magic by Green Mountain as is the Costa Rican, Tully's, Paul Newman (mot my favorite but love his products), doughnut shop, and maybe its only 6?  But all good and price was better than BJ.   I will likely go back to Starbucks, Veranda Blonde if they are not stocked.  K Cups are fast, and you do not drink quite as much.  

On 3/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, chef free said:

I gotta have Peet's (every day since about 1980...)

The whole family runs on caffeine!

Peet's is by far the best coffee for the price and their oily beans make all the difference. I used to try those expensive boutique brands on occasion and pay $17 for a bag, but the beans were always dry and I thought weak. Now Peet's is some tasty shit and I get it on-sale for around $8.00 a bag. I drink one cup of coffee every morning for the taste as caffeine for some reason does not really affect me. My wife can't believe I can drink a double espresso right before bed (have not done this in about a year) and fall right asleep, no problem.

Also a tea drinker in the evening. So, it's a cup o' Joe in the AM, and a cup of Earl Grey w/ honey & lemon for the PM.

Edited by BobDobbs

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Peet's is by far the best coffee for the price and their oily beans make all the difference. I used to try those expensive boutique brands on occasion and pay $17 for a bag, but the beans were always dry and I thought weak. Now Peet's is some tasty shit and I get it on-sale for around $8.00 a bag. I drink one cup of coffee every morning for the taste as caffeine for some reason does not really affect me. My wife can't believe I can drink a double espresso right before bed (have not done this in about a year) and fall right asleep, no problem.

Also a tea drinker in the evening. So, it's a cup o' Joe in the AM, and a cup of Earl Grey w/ honey & lemon for the PM.

No photo description available.

37 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Starbucks makes a drink called a hot tea latte. It's pretty good with either English Breakfast or Earl Grey. Perfect for the foggy weather going on in RWC right now.

Earl Grey with milk? I've always drank it sans milk. Whatever floats your boat really. I've never been in a Starbucks or a Costa Coffee. I went into a Subway for the first time last year. I was so confused what to do I ordered the most ridiculously awful Butty I've ever eaten. It went in the bin. Never again.

49 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Earl Grey with milk? I've always drank it sans milk. Whatever floats your boat really. I've never been in a Starbucks or a Costa Coffee. I went into a Subway for the first time last year. I was so confused what to do I ordered the most ridiculously awful Butty I've ever eaten. It went in the bin. Never again.

Yeah, I've always liked it with a creamer. Milk as a kid, coconut milk now. My mom's originally from England so I grew up with tea and biscuits. Sorry to hear about the Subway travesty! They can actually be pretty good. 

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I know, you would think Earl Grey would not work well with dairy because of the oil of Bergamot but some people dig it. In the states many places serve a London Fog which is an Earl Grey with milk. Tried it once, not too bad, I was rather surprised, but I prefer my EG traditional.

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

I know, you would think Earl Grey would not work well with dairy because of the oil of Bergamot but some people dig it. In the states many places serve a London Fog which is an Earl Grey with milk. Tried it once, not too bad, I was rather surprised, but I prefer my EG traditional.

London Fog! That's what they call it. And yeah, I know EG is supposed to be dairy-free, but I grew up drinking it with milk and sugar (shrugs), 

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

London Fog! That's what they call it. And yeah, I know EG is supposed to be dairy-free, but I grew up drinking it with milk and sugar (shrugs), 

IMO there is no "proper" way of drinking a tea or eating a food really. If you like it and it works for you, right on brother.

I have a co-worker whose favorite desert is crushed up Taki's (disgusting Mexican junk food, very spicy) sprinkled over strawberry ice cream. Sure, I may think it would gag a maggot, but to each their own. I did ask him when the baby was due though 😉 

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

IMO there is no "proper" way of drinking a tea or eating a food really. If you like it and it works for you, right on brother.

I have a co-worker whose favorite desert is crushed up Taki's (disgusting Mexican junk food, very spicy) sprinkled over strawberry ice cream. Sure, I may think it would gag a maggot, but to each their own. I did ask him when the baby was due though 😉 

Haha oh man that just sounds wrong. 

14 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

As a Chicagoan, I am duty bound to disagree with that. People who put ketchup on their hot dogs are cracked. If you order a hot dog and ask for ketchup on it, you will get hissed at.  We take that very seriously. LOL. That said, I like dipping jalapeno chips in Caesar salad dressing, so what do I know?

54 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

As a Chicagoan, I am duty bound to disagree with that. People who put ketchup on their hot dogs are cracked. If you order a hot dog and ask for ketchup on it, you will get hissed at.  We take that very seriously. LOL. That said, I like dipping jalapeno chips in Caesar salad dressing, so what do I know?

Well of course, as a fellow Chicago native myself there are always exceptions to the exceptions and there is NO exception for a proper Chicago hot dog. No katsup and MUST be a Vienna hot dog with a steamed poppy-seed bun.

Whenever I fly into Midway Airport (I detest O'Hare) I immediately look for the Vienna hot dog vendor cart usually parked by the shops before the boarding gates. Gots to get me fix!!!!

You two are making me hungry 😂 😂 Haven't had a good hot dog in years.

Adding to this, as a native Floridian who ended up in Cali as youth, it's very rare to find REAL key lime pie out here. They think regular limes will do ... not the same!!! Lucky for me, there's a specialty pie shop near where I live that makes it the right way, just as good as home.  

Bringing this back to topic, I didn't learn how to make a proper cup of tea til I was well into my 20s. Apparently, the water must be boiling as the tea leaves hit it, to really bring out their flavor. I'm religious about it now haha .. I can taste a difference!

7 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Well of course, as a fellow Chicago native myself there are always exceptions to the exceptions and there is NO exception for a proper Chicago hot dog. No katsup and MUST be a Vienna hot dog with a steamed poppy-seed bun.

Whenever I fly into Midway Airport (I detest O'Hare) I immediately look for the Vienna hot dog vendor cart usually parked by the shops before the boarding gates. Gots to get me fix!!!!

Yes, and furthermore, yes. Jimmy's at Grand and Pulaski has THE best hot dog and fries I've ever had. Even better than Toot's (RIP). 

• 2 weeks later...

I am now buying strictly K Cups.  So I really like Veranda Blonde by Starbucks. But I am with Costco now for at least this year, and I had bought this great assortment. Of course they are out now even at the warehouse like with so many things.  So I bought a box of Caribou and a box of Tully's.  I thought i was buying Tully's Hawaiian and I got the French Blend. Its a bit darker and has a touch of harshness like Newmans Own.  Oh well.  It wont last long. I am saving the Caribou.  Very nice medium blend.

Does anyone recommend a good machine for making Latte's and Cappuccino?  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

19 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am now buying strictly K Cups.  So I really like Veranda Blonde by Starbucks. But I am with Costco now for at least this year, and I had bought this great assortment. Of course they are out now even at the warehouse like with so many things.  So I bought a box of Caribou and a box of Tully's.  I thought i was buying Tully's Hawaiian and I got the French Blend. Its a bit darker and has a touch of harshness like Newmans Own.  Oh well.  It wont last long. I am saving the Caribou.  Very nice medium blend.

Does anyone recommend a good machine for making Latte's and Cappuccino?  

Goddamnit! What sort of savage likes French Blend? Blech! You are 100% correctomundo my friend, that shit is too bitter for my taste. A serious coffee indeed, not for the faint of heart.

I am typically a nice, medium-bodied blend kinda guy. Usually Peets Big Bang is my go-to. Though if I'm jonesin for the extra-strong, a double-shot of espresso with a wee dab o' Grand Mariner really hits the spot. I enjoy the latter around 8pm, after dinner with a nice burn. SWEET 🙂  Kinda like a poor man's speed-ball.

11 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Though if I'm jonesin for the extra-strong, a double-shot of espresso with a wee dab o' Grand Mariner really hits the spot. I enjoy the latter around 8pm, after dinner with a nice burn. SWEET 🙂  Kinda like a poor man's speed-ball.

🤣🤣 When I was in my early 20's, that's EXACTLY what we did and we called it the same thing. Strong coffee with whatever alcohol mixed in (usually rum) and some weed.