KENNEDY CENTER SHOW YOUR REVIEWS WHAT DID YOU THINK?

Did anyone catch on to Billy Connolly a.k.a.'The Big Yin' (during the tribute/presentation for Dustin Hoffman)?

The same guy who did the last (or one of the last) interviews with John Bonham on the "Alright Now" show on July 17, 1980.

It's been posted before , but here it is - to see him much younger with John.

I don't even bother finding fault with the The Kennedy Center Honors when it comes to giving tribute to Led Zeppelin. I honestly don't expect mainstream media, who ignored the band for way too long, to do it and get it right.

Uh, the foo fighters sucked pretty bad, I was embarrassed for them. The singer has no business trying to sing that song and he looked cheezy. Dave grole kind of fucked up the end of the song , sounded off and generic, hes never been anything close to JB

I thought the whole award ceremony was really put together well.

In regards to the zeppelin performances, foo fighters gave a good rock band rendition of rock and roll. Kid Rocks scat, james brownish vocals there was interesting, because it added to the groove of the song, ramble on, a song maybe not alot of folks in audience were familiar with. His band also did the quiet and loud parts well with the acoustic, electric and addition of the hammond organ was cool. Lenny Kravitz was very good, gave it his all in singing his best robert plant vocals. I think the use of the backing vocalists sounded really good on that. Ann and Nancy Wilson, jason, choir, string and horn sections, rest of band and another choir....was a very moving version of stairway.

imo jack black was hilarious and endearing..his satan bit was great.

It's not about the physical effort at all, it's that the O2 was a perfect end to their careers, and celebration day is somehow even more perfect. they can tour now, and make a reformed led zeppelin, but then they'd be like the rolling stones, four elderly men seeming out of place (althought they will be a million times better than the stones). the one reunion show adds to that taste of ..... (can't find a word) ..... that zeppelin always had. they had fun, they gave us great music, they rocked the biggest stadiums, they can still do it now, but they just don't have to, they can now relax with their families and enjoy a calm peaceful life, as they see the legacy of zeppelin growing more and more everyday.

Don't Tour Again guys, you've done enough, now you can relax.

And Jimmy will never look like Keith Richards. Poor Keith

Uh, the foo fighters sucked pretty bad, I was embarrassed for them. The singer has no business trying to sing that song and he looked cheezy. Dave grole kind of fucked up the end of the song , sounded off and generic, hes never been anything close to JB

Well the singer that night is normally the drummer so it was kind of odd...Dave Grohl of course had to get behind the kit.. As great as a drummer Dave is.. his break at the end of Rock and Roll wasn't.. Strange he can probably play it in his sleep, but he didn't quite pull it off that night...

Patty was with Robert and there is some question as to who was sitting behind Jimmy. Some say Joan Hudson and others seem to think it was Pat Bonham. 8243704516_0bb436135d.jpg8243704732_3dafc022b8.jpg

The other woman in the group was not Pat Bonham. It indeed is accountant Joan Hudson.

Joan and her company have represented various Zeppelin (and post Zep members) activities for many years. She's 74, and does not look like Pat Bonham.

I thought they all looked quite nice!

I had set the DVR to record the entire event, then I recorded the Led Zeppelin moments individually. I thought Jack Black was great. His words: " Complex, beautiful,dangerous. As he called it:Power cords, power music. "Their music brought us to paradise". As he talked about the history of them getting together, great tribute to each member. He is a genuine fan.

I thought Kravitz was great as well.

But when Jason came out wearing the hat....with Heart, the look on Robert's face was so touching. Then the choir that had Bonham's hat on, well I lost it!!! STH was done amazing and that tribute was beyond beautiful. As Robert seemed to tear up,even wiping a tear away I was right there so emotionally overcome...moving and fantastic. I kept thinking how much he wished his friend was there for this IMHO. It's as if he looked back with such fondness and deep thought. This I will never forget.Then when he looked at Jonesy and smiled....Jimmy and JPJ seemed to be soaking it all in. As were many members in the audience, including the President.

I was so proud of them. To think this was the greatest band coming from an era that was labeled so many things and here they were being acknowledged in such high esteem. Then to end with Jason looking at them could not have been any better.

Gigi, I am sure you had an amazing time and how great that you could attend. Thanks to all for sharing. God, I am so proud to be a fan of this music!!!

Did anyone catch on to Billy Connolly a.k.a.'The Big Yin' (during the tribute/presentation for Dustin Hoffman)?

The same guy who did the last (or one of the last) interviews with John Bonham on the "Alright Now" show on July 17, 1980.

It's been posted before , but here it is - to see him much younger with John.

It was recorded on March 4th 1980. Bonzo and Billy were pals.

Oh wow - thanks for this! Makes the night even more cool (if possible). They showed him in the audience rocking out to WLL which was great. I've watched Heart doing "Stairway" so many times now, and I STILL get teary eyed! I'll don't think I'll ever tire of that performance.

As much as I love Zep, I am SO THRILLED that Heart are getting the recognition they deserve for being the outstanding musicians they are. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time and am SO happy they're getting the love & respect they so greatly deserve!

Check out yet another amazing version of STH they did in 1976!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGIU_xlNPys

Oh wow - thanks for this! Makes the night even more cool (if possible). They showed him in the audience rocking out to WLL which was great. I've watched Heart doing "Stairway" so many times now, and I STILL get teary eyed! I'll don't think I'll ever tire of that performance.

As much as I love Zep, I am SO THRILLED that Heart are getting the recognition they deserve for being the outstanding musicians they are. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time and am SO happy they're getting the love & respect they so greatly deserve!

Check out yet another amazing version of STH they did in 1976!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGIU_xlNPys

Thanks Roxie. I like Heart. Not a HUGE fan, but they have quite a number of good tunes. What I liked most about them (besides Nancy Wilson), was the drummer that played on most of the best records.....76'-82'

Michael DeRosier. He was a fluent player with a very Bonham'esque style. Just listen to Barracuda, and there is no doubt he (and the whole band) were listening to Achilles' Last Stand the night before the recording :lol:

BTW, I enjoyed this version of Stairway. Thanks!

IF CBS makes the entire uncut show available to the recipients/performers, then maybe uncut versions of the songs will surface....

Clearly, Robert was moved by the homage to his mate John Bonham, especially with the Joyce Garrett - Washinton Youth Choirs' use of the bowlers, paying tribute to the heart & soul of the band I love, Led Zeppelin.

The other woman in the group was not Pat Bonham.  It indeed is accountant Joan Hudson.

Joan and her company have represented various Zeppelin (and post Zep members) activities for many years.  She's 74,  and does not look like Pat Bonham.

I thought they all looked quite nice!

Thanks a lot for the clarification. They do look all nice, but with all due respect for the ladies, I just couldn't help smiling about the fact that, on the day they reached the pinnacle of their career and social life, John-Paul came with his life-long wife, Robert with his more recent and younger girlfriend, and Jimmy... with his accountant! Seemed to fit perfectly the old cliches about their personalities.

I loved the tributes to both Buddy Guy and Led Zeppelin (of course). You saw the Master and the students! I loved to see Jimmy rocking back and forth to both tributes, Jonesy studying musically, and Robert being introspective. It was all fascinating and well-deserved.

As for the covers, I did not like the Foo Fighters or Kid Rock. They were very "meh" to me. Lenny K. rocked it out and the guys knew it. Heart was really good. I only liked it more once the choirs and Jason chimed in. Otherwise, to me, the performance would've only been o.k.

I also liked seeing the President singing, "Whole Lotta Love" with Ms. Obama in his own arms. How cool was that? Of course, I dvr'd the show to watch over and over again.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. They do look all nice, but with all due respect for the ladies, I just couldn't help smiling about the fact that, on the day they reached the pinnacle of their career and social life, John-Paul came with his life-long wife, Robert with his more recent and younger girlfriend, and Jimmy... with his accountant! Seemed to fit perfectly the old cliches about their personalities.

Tonight a friend of mine said she can't believe Page wouldn't have a woman in his life romantically to bring to the Kennedy Honours. Whether that is the case or not, surely you don't just bring a date along to that event. He must have invited his accountant to join him to show his appreciation for all her hard work over the years, otherwise he could have had one of his kids there.

Fully agreed Shadecatcher. I was just being a bit sarcastic, but come to think of it, if I had been in his shoes (only in my dreams!) better to come along with a trusted and long-time friend and partner like Joan Hudson , who must have seen and been through a lot, than a flavor-of-the-month date or even an ex-wife or kid because the other family members would have been dead jealous!

Fully agreed Shadecatcher. I was just being a bit sarcastic, but come to think of it, if I had been in his shoes (only in my dreams!) better to come along with a trusted and long-time friend and partner like Joan Hudson , who must have seen and been through a lot, than a flavor-of-the-month date or even an ex-wife or kid because the other family members would have been dead jealous!

I knew you were kidding, it just struck me as funny reading your comment after my friend made hers. Normally you can't choose one of the kids over the others however I think his eldest daughter has attended awards with him before. Yep, if you aren't able to be with a partner then a trusted and good friend is the way to go.

Glad they saved Led Zeppelin for last. You know the saying, right?

I thoroughly enjoyed the tribute. I would have liked to have seen the full-version of SWTH, but at 8:02 in length, I can see why CBS edited it.

I thought Jack Black's tribute was both funny, slightly controversial, nails-on, yet under-sold. I think I would have preferred Alec Baldwin instead. Baldwin loves Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page. I like his quote, (paraphrasing), "I'd cut off my pinky finger to be able to play guitar like Jimmy Page!" I am sure he's referring to the pinky finger on his right hand.

Robert Plant did look at times like he was either tired, bored, or uneasy, maybe a bit distressed at times. Not sure if he's not feeling well or is just tired of the P.R. tour they've been on for weeks now. The tears in his eyes during the SWTH tribute was priceless. As much as he hates that "wedding song", you could tell he was filled with emotion, pride, and honor.

Jimmy Page, well...what can you say. He loves the the attention and is such a humble individual. Honor with grace. To me, it looks like his mind is always racing with ideas when he hears music. Sort of like he's saying..."Hey, listen to this. Check out the tone on the guitar. This riff. The melody. How can I improve it?" As much as I admire Jimi Hendrix, I still say Jimmy Page is the iconic lead guitar player or Rock and Roll. Put a Les Paul on Jimmy Page and he's happy. He gets an expression on his face like he his has his first-born with him again. His true love. A body appendage. Jimmy was epic on that night.

John Paul Jones. A true musician. Much like Jimmy, he's very cerebral. A jack-of-all-trades, master of none, in terms of musical instruments. Understands melodies, music composition, talents that no one else has. Doesn't care for the limelight. He's about music, and music only. An awkward sense of humor, yet charismatic. Jonesy looked like he was enjoying himself that evening. Almost to the point where he wanted to join the groups on stage. A professional. It must have been hard for him to just sit there and listen, yet I'm sure he felt honored.

Ann and Nancy Wilson nailed SWTH. Nancy's rendition on her Martin acoustic was flawless. Ann can still belt it out with the best of them on vocals. My favorite quote from Nancy Wilson is, "If I could write a song like The Rain Song, I'd probably sprout wings and fly away!"

Kid Rock impressed me as did Lenny Kravitz. The Foo Fighters were so-so.

The Obama's. Well...I'll leave that alone.

Great night! Very inspirational. A star-studded evening with Led Zeppelin ending the show, as it should be.

Bloody luv Led Zeppelin!

DT

I thought Jack Black's tribute was both funny, slightly controversial, nails-on, yet under-sold. I think I would have preferred Alec Baldwin instead. Baldwin loves Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page. I like his quote, (paraphrasing), "I'd cut off my pinky finger to be able to play guitar like Jimmy Page!" I am sure he's referring to the pinky finger on his right hand.

I think the saying goes "I'd cut off my hand to play like (insert favorite guitarist)"

I've seen some greatest ever type countdowns where Baldwin has a spot here or there. Jack Black is always trying to get Zeppelin tunes in his movies and going on tangents about their greatness, reminiscent of his Kennedy Center intro. I think they made a good choice with him.

Archived