KENNEDY CENTER SHOW YOUR REVIEWS WHAT DID YOU THINK?

Uh, the foo fighters sucked pretty bad, I was embarrassed for them. The singer has no business trying to sing that song and he looked cheezy. Dave grole kind of fucked up the end of the song , sounded off and generic, hes never been anything close to JB

I though they were ok.They didn't blow me away. Maybe nerves got the better of them. RIghtfully so. Personally, as a mega huge fan of Queen, even more so than Led Zep. (don't flame me) And believe me, I love Zeppelin! I've been to every performance by Page and/or Plant to rolll through Philadelphia since 1986. I got to see Queen in 1982 on they're final true US tour, my first concert ever. I did get to see Brian & Roger in 05 & 06 on several night w/ Paul Rodgers on vocals. Good, but not the same. :offtopic:

Anyway, having said all this, back on topic. As a huge Queen fan, I would have love to see Roger Taylor take the lead vocals on Rock & Roll. He has performed it several time through out his solo career. The best I ever heard was at Queens after party when they got a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame in 2002. I can't find that recording anywhere on YT. The best I can find is linked below. The best being his vocal. The band isn't very good, IMO. Although, I do think it was an unrehearsed one off.

CBS did butcher the performances, but they did a great job at seemlessly editing the songs I think.

I was very proud to see Zeppelin get its well deserved award & enjoyed all the pomp & circumstance that goes along with it!

Next year, GIVE IT TO QUEEN!!!!

:you_rock:

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JIMMY PAGE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRMrfLUVLM

I though they were ok.They didn't blow me away. Maybe nerves got the better of them. RIghtfully so. Personally, as a mega huge fan of Queen, even more so than Led Zep. (don't flame me) And believe me, I love Zeppelin! I've been to every performance by Page and/or Plant to rolll through Philadelphia since 1986. I got to see Queen in 1982 on they're final true US tour, my first concert ever. I did get to see Brian & Roger in 05 & 06 on several night w/ Paul Rodgers on vocals. Good, but not the same. :offtopic:

Anyway, having said all this, back on topic. As a huge Queen fan, I would have love to see Roger Taylor take the lead vocals on Rock & Roll. He has performed it several time through out his solo career. The best I ever heard was at Queens after party when they got a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame in 2002. I can't find that recording anywhere on YT. The best I can find is linked below. The best being his vocal. The band isn't very good, IMO. Although, I do think it was an unrehearsed one off.

CBS did butcher the performances, but they did a great job at seemlessly editing the songs I think.

I was very proud to see Zeppelin get its well deserved award & enjoyed all the pomp & circumstance that goes along with it!

Next year, GIVE IT TO QUEEN!!!!

:you_rock:

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JIMMY PAGE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRMrfLUVLM

Wow. Always loved Queen for how they interpreted music, but never heard Roger Taylor until viewing your clip. To me he doesn't have the depth that Plant brings to the song, but I like his voice. I want to hear more of his work, any suggestions?

Well, on the first 8 Queen studio albums Roger would sing lead vocals the tracks he wrote:

Queen - Modern Times Rock & Roll

Queen II - Loser In The End

Sheer Heart Attack - Tennement Funster

A Night At The Opera - I'm In Love With My Car

A Day At The Races - Drowse

News Of The World - Fight From The Inside

Jazz - Fun It (he sings the 1st few lines) & More Of That Jazz

The Game - Rock It (Freddie sings the opening verse, then Roger takes over) & Coming Soon

After that he doesn't sing lead on his songs that follow on Hot Space, The Works, A Kind Of Magic, The Miracle & Innuendo. He takes a verse on the reworked Let Me Live from the Made In Heaven album along with Brian May who also sings a verse because Freddie was gone by the time they recorded that album. Brian also would sing lead on one of his tracks on every album from Queen II thru The Game.

Roger also has several solo albums: Fun In Space, Strange Fromtiers, Electric Fire & Happiness. FIS is a fun record, very raw & rocks pretty well. He plays all the instruments himself. SF has several good songs especially the title track & the covers of Springsteen's Racing In The Streets & Dylan's Masters Of War. Both very different from the originals. EF & Happiness are much more electronic than I would like. He get's away from a true rock sound & isn't always my cup of tea.

In 1977 Roger recorded a cover of a song called I Wanna Testify. He plays all the instruments again & all the vocals are his. This is my very favorite of all his solo work. There's even a video to go with it. It's easy to find on YT.

Listen to a few & let me know what you think.

Well, on the first 8 Queen studio albums Roger would sing lead vocals the tracks he wrote:

Queen - Modern Times Rock & Roll

Queen II - Loser In The End

Sheer Heart Attack - Tennement Funster

A Night At The Opera - I'm In Love With My Car

A Day At The Races - Drowse

News Of The World - Fight From The Inside

Jazz - Fun It (he sings the 1st few lines) & More Of That Jazz

The Game - Rock It (Freddie sings the opening verse, then Roger takes over) & Coming Soon

After that he doesn't sing lead on his songs that follow on Hot Space, The Works, A Kind Of Magic, The Miracle & Innuendo. He takes a verse on the reworked Let Me Live from the Made In Heaven album along with Brian May who also sings a verse because Freddie was gone by the time they recorded that album. Brian also would sing lead on one of his tracks on every album from Queen II thru The Game.

Roger also has several solo albums: Fun In Space, Strange Fromtiers, Electric Fire & Happiness. FIS is a fun record, very raw & rocks pretty well. He plays all the instruments himself. SF has several good songs especially the title track & the covers of Springsteen's Racing In The Streets & Dylan's Masters Of War. Both very different from the originals. EF & Happiness are much more electronic than I would like. He get's away from a true rock sound & isn't always my cup of tea.

In 1977 Roger recorded a cover of a song called I Wanna Testify. He plays all the instruments again & all the vocals are his. This is my very favorite of all his solo work. There's even a video to go with it. It's easy to find on YT.

Listen to a few & let me know what you think.

Thank you! You are a virtual Queen encyclopedia. I will track down the tracks you mention and listen. I have always liked Brian May as well, his being a talented musician and Ph.D. in astrophysics is quite impressive.

• 1 month later...

anyone else been revisiting the YouTube videos for KCH?

...the music and performances are such a backdrop, love the cutaways to Jones, Page & Plant and some of the attendees.

I have it on my DVR and watched it again. I agree with you, seeing Yo Yo Ma dancing in his seat and having a good time was priceless!

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived