Would the O2 feedback problems ruin a DVD release?

I am enjoying the clips of the Zeppelin O2 reunion like everyone else, but there are constant feedback bursts thoughout the whole show, worst on GTBT, but recurring frequently even as late as STH (I'm assuming it was coming from the vocal mike). I know there is tons of technology to studio-ize a gig for DVD, but I'm not so sure they can get rid of all the feedback without re-touching up Plant's vocals, which is a can of worms they may not want to get into. Do you guys think this will present of a problem for a potential DVD release? I'm thinking that this may be a problem, especially since they know it will sell huge. I'm a bit worried that the feedback may have ruined the direct recording, for example, even on the nice sounding direct, clean, punchy, mixed pro-shot clip on the BBC TV news, the feedback was still very apparent (Black Dog), although the other instruments sounded killer. I know lots of top acts (Rush, Eagles, etc) use In-Ear monitors to avoid monitor feedback and to hear themselves better, you would think they would have this issue licked in 2007, I mean, they do sell high-tech "feedback eliminator" processors, I wonder what the problem was. Does anyone want to comment?

I am enjoying the clips of the Zeppelin O2 reunion like everyone else, but there are constant feedback bursts thoughout the whole show even as late as STH (I'm assuming it was coming from the vocal mike). I know there is tons of technology to studio-ize a gig for DVD, but I'm not so sure they can get rid of all the feedback without re-touching up Plant's vocals, which is a can of worms they may not want to get into. Do you guys think this will present of a problem for a potential DVD release? I'm thinking that this may be a problem, especially since they know it will sell huge. I'm a bit worried that the feedback may have ruined the direct recording, for example, even on the nice sounding direct, clean, punchy, mixed pro-shot clip on the BBC TV news, the feedback was still very apparent (Black Dog), although the other instruments sounded killer. Does anyone want to comment?

Robert likes the monitors up waaaay tooo high...remember Live Aid? Same thing.

Good thread!

With a producer as good as Jimmy Page, I don't think there's any problem with taking out a couple of pesky feedback noises. Like with the Zeppelin DVD, there were some feedback problems in the original bootlegs, but they took those out.

Nitpicking here, but the DVD recordings were authorized and recorded by the band. Not bootlegs.

But point is, Kevin Shirley and Page did a great job reworking audio for DVD, HTWWW and TSRTS, whether or not you like or hate the chops. And I'm guessing reels were rolling during Sunday's soundcheck, which could be used to Garden Tape it together.

The feedback issue would probably mainly occur on the vocal (PR) tracks and probably there would be some leakage onto the drums and keyboards tracks during the multitrack mixing and I'm rather confident there would be a few ways to doctor those tracks during the final mix.

But it is indeed a bit annoying that this should happen during such a big, hugely anticipated and highly rehearsed event !!

If someone´s telling you there will be no DVD due to feedback problems - hit him with the hammer of gods! :rolleyes:

Let's clear something right away. If feedback is picked by the mikes, it WILL be recorded through soundboard too. With editing, you can do a lotto diminish, cut, etc. feedback problems, but they cannot be eliminated. So it actually can be a reason for which there will be no integral release of the concert.

And for those who claim there was feedback only at the beginning, I advise to give a careful listen to the otherwise amateur recordings on YouTube. You will be surpised to find even on these modest quality documents of the concert that occassionally there were feedback issues thorughout the concert.

To me it is unbelievable that the biggest band in rock history reforms after nearly 30 years and the sound is not perfect. If Peter lived to see this, I'm sure the guys at O2 would be already looking for new jobs.

I think the feedback can be delt with, they can pinpoint the frequency and remove or negate it.

I also like the fact that they used stage wedges instead of in ears, it keeps it more live for the musicians, less isolated from each other.

And I may be in the minority with this, but I don't even mind the feedback, it makes it seem real to me.

Sounds as though the 02 arena plainly SUCKS for sound.

Why is it no one can build a decent Concert venue????

I think some rocknroll bands should build an arena to THEIR specs.

I also think, some bands should just for the sake of a better understanding the fans view, should STAND way back in a full house to see how f'n miserable it is! :o

Where would Jimi Hendrix have been without feedback?

I did notice feedback on a few clips throughout the show, including STH I must admit. I've managed to see 3/4 of the show in order from cellphone clips (I hate cellphone users at gigs, but everyone of them deserves a pat on the back for this one, now give us the DVDs, Please. :)

Modern arenas are terrible, see if you can find the recent Sex Pistols shows at Glasgow SECC to hear how horribe it is, it's about 20 years old and I've heard one good show in 20 odd at the place. The O2 sounded kind of OK on most clips compared to it.

This would have obviously been multi-tracked and they use extra mics for that, yes? How much would it have picked up on these extra mics depends on where the feedback was coming from maybe? Anybody got the know-how on recording live sound?

In the end though, if we have to suffer a couple of squeals on the DVD would it not really be what most Zep fans would want? How cleaned up (ie edited in some way) do you want it?

that's a lot of feedback on feedback ;)

There were certainly sound problems, but I don't think it's anything that can't be reduced or possibly eliminated in some cases.

The worst that could happen would be that they can't do do anything about the problems. And I'd still buy it.

So would you, and you, and you, and you, and you.

...and you

Robert likes the monitors up waaaay tooo high...remember Live Aid? Same thing.

Good thread!

Well yes, one of my favourite lines from Robert in concerts is "Get me some monitors Rusty!" in the middle of Celebration Day on Dallas 73-05-18. :)

Guitar feedback is a different thing, but strong feedback from the song mike can be really bad both live and on the recording. I am sure they will take care of it though. Still you would think that the guys behind the mixer were doing their job, maybe they weren't scared enough or then they just were paralyzed...

Cheers, Percy

There is no such thing as a true live l.p. release to begin with folks. Many things get...shall we say "fixed" in a studio before a release is done. That doesn't mean most of it is not true but the the whole thing will be dealt with in some manner for a proper release. In this case since these four people are alive and still kicking they will probably do some things here and there in the studio to fix any mistakes with themselves or whatever else. It's not scandelous. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have talked about this saying how there is no such thing as a perfect live concert anyway. All's good. We just get the luxery of waiting six months for a release! Ug!

I really really hope no time is being wasted trying to fix some feedback. It was IN THE EVENT. I actually WANT it!

I hope we're not back to the mid-seventies days where Macca and Zep competed to see who could take the longest (it was a draw at three years each) to fret over the sound on their respective concert movies.

Shake it loose, muthafuckaz!

Let's see the warts an' all.

I really really hope no time is being wasted trying to fix some feedback. It was IN THE EVENT. I actually WANT it!

I hope we're not back to the mid-seventies days where Macca and Zep competed to see who could take the longest (it was a draw at three years each) to fret over the sound on their respective concert movies.

I would of thought with todays modern technology one wouldn't get feed back...With the quality of the modern sound system I'm surprized one got any feedback with the monators up...Guess the recording hopefully through the board was of a much higher quality and maybe had mult track feeds through...

Any Idea's ?

we need more feedback on dazed and confused get the theramin feedbacking too wewill see the boys at united center in chicago on 08/05/08 u.s. tour yeaaaa

Archived