DRUM! Presents: Disciples Of Bonham Speak On His Historic Beat During 4th Annual Bonzo Tribute Night

burroughs43

I thought that member of this forum would be interested in the January Issue of DRUM!, which is a

Special Edition on John Bonham.

Here's a link that summarizes the issue: http://www.braveword...2-L3T_dps.email

This is from the article.

Mark Sculman, drummer for PINK, offered a different perspective on the legacy of Bonham. As he says, ‘I think that when I listened to him I realized how much he swung.’ And, Schulman attributes this element of Bonham's playing to the influence of Buddy Rich. Bonham's ability to swing, Schulman added, was pivotal to his musical relationship with Zep bassist, Jimmy Page, who tended to play in front of the beat while Bonham laid a bit behind. The result was the ‘heavy fat, relaxed drum sound.’”

So much for accuracy!?

That's why Jones/Bonham style is recognized as 'tight but loose'. :)

Playing before/behind the beat

doesn't mean inaccurate playing as long as a drummer/bassist keeps it steady before/behind the beat.

IMO playing in that manner gives more

'spacy' feeling of the song,it just 'breaths' more naturally.

That's why Jones/Bonham style is recognized as 'tight but loose'. :)

Playing before/behind the beat

doesn't mean inaccurate playing as long as a drummer/bassist keeps it steady before/behind the beat.

IMO playing in that manner gives more

'spacy' feeling of the song,it just 'breaths' more naturally.

Read it again, "......Zep bassist, Jimmy Page"!?

Thank you to Zep Head and others for their rhythmic comments that backed up my discussion of Bonham's swingin' back beat and how he played behind the beat, etc.

You're welcome, it wasn't something we didn't already know and Bonzo was much more than that.

He even played before the beat on occasion.

Thanks and welcome burroughs43!

Blabbermouth.net also posted an article about this yesterday.

I don't know if Blabbermouth corrected it or if the braveworld link burroughs43 linked on

just screwed up. I would hope that DRUM! magazine would have it correctly.

This is copied off of blabbermouth..

"I think that when I listened to him I realized how much he swung." And Schulman attributes this element of Bonham's playing to the influence of Buddy Rich. Bonham's ability to swing, Schulman added, was pivotal to his musical relationship with ZEP bassist John Paul Jones, who tended to play in front of the beat while Bonham laid a bit behind. The result was the "heavy fat, relaxed drum sound."

Archived