Why does Robert feel LZ has to be comparable to its heyday?

mrledhed

Found! Fookin' hell, it's hard to keep up.

Way OT: for those who thought they saw RP getting emotional during the Kennedy Ctr performance of "Stairway" - he looks the same here. Maybe the dude just has allergies? Or he was bored to tears by Mr. Rose, I dunno.

Nah, he was definitely getting all choked up during 'Stairway'.

In the interview above, I did notice the watery eyes as well though. :( Probably your theory about allergies or being under the weather (as some folks have been pointing out). Who knows?

Alison Krauss, I dont believe was "scorned", not that it matters to the music. She was involved w/ John Waite during that album/ tour and Robert still is friends with her.

....is that the John Waite from "The Baby's"?, the same guy that sang "Missing You".....is that the dude she is with?....cheers Rich

No I dont think they are still together...I hate talking abt personal lives of people lets just say Alison was really not feeling well when they went back for 2nd try...she deals with SEVERE migraines....and went thru hell around that time. The Babys actually had some good songs a looooong time ago (for top 40 kind of tunes anyway) Isnt it Time, Silver Dreams etc Yes same guy....

random thoughts that I usually keep out of plain sight of others...

1. Robert Plant's early (pre-Now & Zen) "solo" career i.e. sans LZ band members was underwhelming commercially- uh oh? #5, #8, #20 better do something fast.

2. Bring in Jimmy Page for cameos on HoneyDrippers (#4 and Platinum on the charts) and Now & Zen to boost sales and flagging interest and give viable media and outlet buzz

3. Begrudgingly play LZ songs in live set lists to boost underwhelming ticket sales beginning on Now & Zen tour. I was at the soundcheck and the concert for the Dallas show. Plant was wacko all over the place in every sense. His body language was cluttered and disconnected to what was going on. Tough times the late 80's? But, hey- ticket sales were up. 4 of 10 songs were LZ and the encore included a cover of a Beatles song. What the ? What happened to all the work distancing himself from his past? (again... my private thoughts) Ditched his original solo musicians for electronica click click and whir. ??? Johnstone referred to Robert's role in the band as "the accountant"

4. Fate of Nations tops out at #34 on US Charts. Thud...

5. Trot out Unledded "project" with Jimmy Page- cozy up to the MTV sleaze bags. No offence but... Cop the title NO QUARTER from LZ (again what happened to all that work and years of effort distancing him from his past to explore new blah blah insert vague Plantation here ___________ . Re-tread LZ songs. Do them really, really well with conviction and like you mean it. Ticket sales jump. Platinum record again.

6. Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger... no gold on the charts nor in ticket sales. Uh oh. Avert nose dive and irrelevence.

7. Grab the sure bet Grammy winner of all time and collaborate. Cha-ching !!! Platinum again. Union Station kicked to the curb.

8. O2 - dayum what a superb effort by everyone involved.

9. Cha-ching with the Grammy haul. Follow up to Raising Sand scrapped/woman scorned... something.

10. Band of Joy... nice work and commercial validation. Platinum again.

again, my thoughts only for my personal use. Doesn't imply hate or diss on Plant or anyone. Just random thoughts.

This time line made me think, what will his new fans of raising sand and band of joy reaction be, when they hear shaken and stirred for the first time.

well having been a fan since LZ and preferring the Americana and Strange Sensation out of the "solo: stuff I have to admit ...Shaken and Stirred is my least favorite...I thought Fate of Nations was great tho and I dont care about charts or critics and never did. Wasn't Dreamland nominated for a grammy or some award. Union Station was NEVER kicked to the curb...they are like family and where Alison Krauss is most comfortable long term. Jerry Douglas is an incredible musician. OT but re: above posts.

The only part of that short Charlie Rose interview which matters is from the 8 minute point owards. Look at the body language, the rolling of the eyes, the side ways glance, the hand tapping - Jones and Page wanted it to be about the future, while Robert was pretending it could not be about the future. Also look how Jones was the first to say that Zeppelin were the best, and Page follows it up quickly as well, while Robert pretends that Zeppelin were no more special or different from any shite band from England.

Maybe its a bit of humility... can u see the headlines"Plant says LZ best ever , McCartney, Jagger fire bacK" and on and on. Jones has accomplished a lot here and there but as great as Page(the best ever IMO) is- he really lost years of his life to chemicals...maybe for him LZ just seems like a couple years ago...despite the 5 years since o2 statement...Plant has moved on well these past few years...I'm too freakin old to handle 40,000 people loud arena shows as -a listener ...seeing Robert with less than 4000 from the 17th row BOJ 2 years ago was the best...Always good to leave people wanting more than for people to be saying "Will they ever retire?" The 07 show is a fitting end and tribute to Ahmet and a late band member who can't be replaced on a regular basis.

Edit: I don't want to argue or debate anymore ..just enjoy what we have- we all love the band's music...who knows Jimmy may unearth some stuff that will have EVERYONE saying "glad he did this instead of touring in 2013" That is my hope for those sets but I am skeptical they will ALL be out this year...hope I am proven completely wrong.

The only part of that short Charlie Rose interview which matters is from the 8 minute point owards. Look at the body language, the rolling of the eyes, the side ways glance, the hand tapping - Jones and Page wanted it to be about the future, while Robert was pretending it could not be about the future. Also look how Jones was the first to say that Zeppelin were the best, and Page follows it up quickly as well, while Robert pretends that Zeppelin were no more special or different from any shite band from England.

I agree. That moment was very telling when JPJ and Jimmy seemed pretty eager to accept "the best" title. I would guess that if Bonham had of been there he would have sided with Plant and shown a little humility and reality with regards to music/bands in general. I was surprised at Page because if you go back to that NYC 1970 press conference, when he is asked about the Beatles he said although he was not really influenced by them, he thought that they had made some "great statements" ....that type of answer may have served him better in this interview...."Are/We're you the best band?" is a goofy question regardless.....

Maybe its a bit of humility... can u see the headlines"Plant says LZ best ever , McCartney, Jagger fire bacK" and on and on. Jones has accomplished a lot here and there but as great as Page(the best ever IMO) is- he really lost years of his life to chemicals...maybe for him LZ just seems like a couple years ago...despite the 5 years since o2 statement...Plant has moved on well these past few years...I'm too freakin old to handle 40,000 people loud arena shows as -a listener ...seeing Robert with less than 4000 from the 17th row BOJ 2 years ago was the best...Always good to leave people wanting more than for people to be saying "Will they ever retire?" The 07 show is a fitting end and tribute to Ahmet and a late band member who can't be replaced on a regular basis.

Edit: I don't want to argue or debate anymore ..just enjoy what we have- we all love the band's music...who knows Jimmy may unearth some stuff that will have EVERYONE saying "glad he did this instead of touring in 2013" That is my hope for those sets but I am skeptical they will ALL be out this year...hope I am proven completely wrong.

I vowed off stadium shows ages ago. Hated being pushed around in giant crowds when I was younger, and not about to do it now. In recent years I've seen caught acts old and new performing in more intimate venues and it's been such a good experience that I'd never entertain a stadium show even if it were LZ. My sense is most stadium shows are intended to cultivate younger audiences anyway.

I found going to the big stadium shows you dont really get to see the band, only small specks on a large stage and you end up just watching he video screen...Zeppelin went back to playing small venue at there hight of there fame in the 70's..they played at a venue in my home town of Erdington,Birmingham UK in 1969 and just up the road in Sutton Coldfield in1971

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos-home/memorabilia/ads/birmingham-mothers-club-ad-1969

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/march-20-1971

I found going to the big stadium shows you dont really get to see the band, only small specks on a large stage and you end up just watching he video screen...Zeppelin went back to playing small venue at there hight of there fame in the 70's..they played at a venue in my home town of Erdington,Birmingham UK in 1969 and just up the road in Sutton Coldfield in1971

http://www.ledzeppel...rs-club-ad-1969

http://www.ledzeppel...w/march-20-1971

Ver

Very cool. At that time in the States I think it was only big venues for the band. I was definitely in the wrong place and too young to have seen them in the UK when they played your smaller venues.

interesting...I wonder if there is a co-relation to ones age here?....I'm 48 and have seen a ton of big venue shows over the last 30 yrs but I could easily never go again to see a band in an arena/stadium...But I still love the smaller venue shows and seeing a pretty good band in a bar is still a rush. I hope to never lose that feeling. I envision on day when I am 75 yrs old, possibly with a walker, paying the cover charge to walk into a bar and check out a band lol...sorry for digressing...ciao

interesting...I wonder if there is a co-relation to ones age here?....I'm 48 and have seen a ton of big venue shows over the last 30 yrs but I could easily never go again to see a band in an arena/stadium...But I still love the smaller venue shows and seeing a pretty good band in a bar is still a rush. I hope to never lose that feeling. I envision on day when I am 75 yrs old, possibly with a walker, paying the cover charge to walk into a bar and check out a band lol...sorry for digressing...ciao

Haha. Use that walker to get good seats and save one for me! I think it is partly an age thing. A bit of tinnitus from years of loud music and being crushed by drunk people bumping you all night gets tired fast. The only question about small venues is can they work for some rock acts that depend on volume? Venues designed acoustically for music, like older concert halls, seem a happy medium.

Thank God that Robert has his wits about him, I'd hate to see them embarrass themselves as a washed-up Zeppelin cover band. They are way too old to withstand the rigors of touring. Big stadium shows suck anyways. Just let Celebration day be the cherry on top of the Led Zeppelin sundae. Led Zeppelin WAS the sound of the Seventies, the Seventies are over!

Well whether they can or cant I just feel like they should not without LZ's drummer...just an opinion. I think the sound is still relevant ..but full fledged make- a -trillion dollars tour...no. Maybe something for charity...an acoustic set somewhere..who knows...I dont think Plant has ever used the word "never"

Well whether they can or cant I just feel like they should not without LZ's drummer...just an opinion. I think the sound is still relevant ..but full fledged make- a -trillion dollars tour...no. Maybe something for charity...an acoustic set somewhere..who knows...I dont think Plant has ever used the word "never"

A small, short 30 minute-1 hour acoustic billed as "John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant playing Led Zeppelin" on uncommon, unannounced occasions (such as in the middle of another bands set, unannounced opener, all at a small club or theater).

A small, short 30 minute-1 hour acoustic billed as "John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant playing Led Zeppelin" on uncommon, unannounced occasions (such as in the middle of another bands set, unannounced opener, all at a small club or theater).

Call me crazy but I can't see remaining Zep members playing as an add on or insert ... wasn't it their thing that they were always the only act? Agree with Chef Fee that the LZ the original is a 70s band and it can't ever be that again.

This time line made me think, what will his new fans of raising sand and band of joy reaction be, when they hear shaken and stirred for the first time.

same here... my wife wouldn't go with me to see BOJ 'coz they were not playing any material from Raising Sand. I cannot name another Grammy Award winner who does not play the Grammy Award winning songs in their current set list. WHAT ? WHY ? HUH?

Why no Raising Sand in the setlist? Talk about distance from the past...

same here... my wife wouldn't go with me to see BOJ 'coz they were not playing any material from Raising Sand. I cannot name another Grammy Award winner who does not play the Grammy Award winning songs in their current set list. WHAT ? WHY ? HUH?

Band of Joy performed "Please Read the Letter" and "Rich Woman" at pretty much every performance. They also did "Your Long Journey" at some shows and did "Gone, Gone, Gone" in Memphis, although I don't know if they did it after that show or not.

Sorry DK...you were misinformed. They did play some Raising Sand songs on the BOJ tour, as ProPlant listed above. I know they did a few at the BOJ show I saw at the Greek.

... set list from the Myerson below-- grammy songs are gone, gone, gone from the list. Nice list. Just no grammy work. I consider PRTL to be Walking Into Clarksdale.

Down to the Sea

Angel Dance (Los Lobos cover)

House of Cards (Richard & Linda Thompson cover)

Please Read the Letter (Jimmy Page & Robert Plant cover)

Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin song)

Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller cover)

Twelve Gates to the City / Wade in the Water / In My Time of Dying

Rich Woman (Li'l Millet and His Creoles cover)

All the King's Horses

A Satisfied Mind (Porter Wagoner cover)

Leave My Woman Alone

Tear this Building Down

Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (Uncle Tupelo cover)

Central Two-O-Nine (Lightnin' Hopkins cover)

Monkey (Low cover)

Houses of the Holy (Led Zeppelin song)

Tall Cool One

Over the Hills and Far Away (Led Zeppelin song)

Gallows Pole (Led Zeppelin song)

Encore:

Harm's Swift Way (Townes Van Zandt cover)

Thank You (Led Zeppelin song)

Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin song)

And We Bid You Goodnight (Grateful Dead cover)

Archived