You tube crackdown

MJC455

Now I know where enormus view counts come from

The world's biggest recording companies have been stripped of two billion YouTube hits after the website cracked down on alleged 'fake' and 'dead' views.The dramatic falls, highlighted by figures compiled byYouTube statistics analysts at SocialBlade, came after YouTube conducted an audit of its viewing figures aimed at combating 'black hat' view count-building techniques.

source

http://www.dailymail...c-industry.html

Now I know where enormus view counts come from

source

http://www.dailymail...c-industry.html

That was an interesting read and if I got it right it mainly affects those corporate channels. Good riddance, I say. Two short years ago You/Tube was a place you could go and find all kinds of music (yes quite a lot of bootleg stuff too) and you never saw ads on the videos unless they had at least a million hits. Plus you had your own page you could showcase anyway you want with your own page count view and choice of graphic design all the way through.

All that went down the tubes when Google bought the service.

I could have predicted this with Google. Now you see commercials all over the page, you have some that are 30 seconds long and can't be skipped, your ability to design your own page as you wish and showcase your music (or whatever) is gone. Google does two things good, Search engine and making a ton of money for their investors. They are the only game in town and they ruined most of what was so great about You/Tube. So if corporate promoters take a bath on the view count, oh well. Sony, and WB can well afford it. The artists got more exposure in the old days when You/Tube was a member service, not an arm of Google. Rant over. Missy

Interesting. I checked the terms of service mentioned in the article and this is what youtube says in section 4-H:

1. you agree not to use or launch any automated system (including, without limitation, any robot, spider or offline reader) that accesses the Service in a manner that sends more request messages to the YouTube servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a publicly available, standard (i.e. not modified) web browser;

I wonder if there were any other, non-technical motives behind youtube's decision? I always thought a crackdown of this scale would be motivated by copyright claims.

Archived