Eric Clapton at the 02?

It's sad to see so many of you think EC sucks...he is one the best ever....esp. live....please haters watch this one and tell me he is boring....I love how he slowly builds the energy up in the solo at the end....honestly people....you don't have to like him but to say he sucks or is boring is ridiculous IMO (plus he has a great voice)...I've seen Clapton 8x and will going for my ninth this Feb. (he's playing with Steve Winwood three nights at MSG....lots of Blind Faith too :D )....never seen a bad show with him...always a GREAT TIME...enjoy!!!

P.S. That's the legendary Steve Gadd on drums!!!

Very nice. Someone grab me a pillow. Nappy time. :D

I'd guess I am the closest thing you can get as far as labeling someone a hater when it comes to Crapton. Just not cup of tea is all. I do not like him, and I think his playing is uninspired, and boring.

I won't say he sucks though. Blows maybe. Sucks? Naw.

Very nice. Someone grab me a pillow. Nappy time. :D

I'd guess I am the closest thing you can get as far as labeling someone a hater when it comes to Crapton. Just not cup of tea is all. I do not like him, and I think his playing is uninspired, and boring.

I won't say he sucks though. Blows maybe. Sucks? Naw.

Wow....guess you don't like good music other then Zep...that's cool though...you have the right to say what you want

Those of you who are surprised that people here have no love for Clapton should remember that Clapton has no love for Led Zeppelin. In his recent autobiography he refers to himself as a "harsh critic of theirs". Why should any Zep fan that chooses not be a harsh critic of his? Certainly no shortage of things to criticize. Ever since he started working with Phil Collins in the 80's, Clapton has pandered to contemporary pop styles. While I've really been enjoying his Crossroads 07 DVD, most of what he's put out in the last twenty years sucks. "My Father's Eyes", for instance, sucks sweaty donkey balls.

So there. :P

Wow....guess you don't like good music other then Zep...that's cool though...you have the right to say what you want

You would guess wrong. You and I, have different tastes. What you call good music, may be shit to others, and vice verse.

It's sad to see so many of you think EC sucks...he is one the best ever....esp. live....please haters watch this one and tell me he is boring....I love how he slowly builds the energy up in the solo at the end....honestly people....you don't have to like him but to say he sucks or is boring is ridiculous IMO (plus he has a great voice)...I've seen Clapton 8x and will going for my ninth this Feb. (he's playing with Steve Winwood three nights at MSG....lots of Blind Faith too :D )....never seen a bad show with him...always a GREAT TIME...enjoy!!!

Re-reading some of my old posts, perhaps I may be percieved as being Anti-Eric.

I'm not, I love his work; even some of his most recent .

However, I just can't see a return to the "glory days" for him.

He's as old now as many of his blues influences were when he first discovered them; when they changed his life,but he simply is not in their league anymore.I don't expect him to be .

I think, even in his own mind, he believes he has already made his mark and presented to us the best of what he can do.There will probably (but hopefully not) be very few suprises from him again.

Jimmy, on the other hand,has never lost ANY enthusiasm for his muse, and now that he is seemingly free of his (alledged) demons, looks to be able to achieve much,much more in the future.

Gosh, I hope I haven't come across as being anti Eric Again! :unsure:

Those of you who are surprised that people here have no love for Clapton should remember that Clapton has no love for Led Zeppelin. In his recent autobiography he refers to himself as a "harsh critic of theirs". Why should any Zep fan that chooses not be a harsh critic of his? Certainly no shortage of things to criticize. Ever since he started working with Phil Collins in the 80's, Clapton has pandered to contemporary pop styles. While I've really been enjoying his Crossroads 07 DVD, most of what he's put out in the last twenty years sucks. "My Father's Eyes", for instance, sucks sweaty donkey balls.

So there. :P

Well...I really like "My Father's Eyes"...so there!!!! :D

P.S. And who cares if he doesn't like Zep....most classic rock bands didn't dig Zep back in the day...so I should hate the Who, the Stones, the Doors,etc....that makes no sense at all!

P.S. And who cares if he doesn't like Zep....most classic rock bands didn't dig Zep back in the day...so I should hate the Who, the Stones, the Doors,etc....that makes no sense at all!

Wolfman, you said it better in just one sentence than I've tried in whole paragraphs!

But who said that Eric didn't like Led Zeppelin? Yes, He was critical of them, but I can be critical of Eric's music and still love him. Criticism, from the right place, can be a good thing.

Saying that, I'm glad Jimmy took not a blind bit of notice of what Eric had to say!. :D

None of those bands hated Zep that I know about. Jagger came to the o2, and Moon appeared onstage with them, what does that tell you? Clapton did neither.

Can't really speak to the Doors, though.

I don't hate Clapton- but his direction in the 80's and 90's would have made the younger Clapton who bolted the Yardbirds puke. If he couldn't stand the poppiness of 'For Your Love', what would he have thought of 'If I Could Change The World'? I can certainly tell you which one I would rather listen to.

BTW "Pretending" sucks hairy goat balls also.

Keith Richards, Ray Manzerek, and Pete Townsend have all said they do not like Zeppelin...who cares though...we do!!!

Doors guitarist Robby Krieger is a long-time admirer of Jimmy Page - as far back as Yardbirds days.

That was nice.Love Clapton

Keith Richards, Ray Manzerek, and Pete Townsend have all said they do not like Zeppelin...who cares though...we do!!!

Keith and Pete have the right to think what they want but I believe that thier dislike is for the wrong reasons. Think about it -- they ARE people with pretty freakin huge egos. The fact that Zeppelin comes on the scene as a brand new act and takes the WORLD by storm with their first album and then just builds and builds from there had to piss them off. The Stones and Who were in the game for years in the mid 60s trying to acheive what Zeppelin did in just 1969 alone! The Zeppelin simply took over and had the heads of accomplished musicians and fans SPINNING. They immediately held claim to the status that Keith and Pete were stiving for. I think that is the only reason they say they dont like them.

I mean come on ---Pete and Keith are very talented musicians, how the hell can they not appreciate the amazing quality of music Zeppelin produced? There is a whole lotta jealosy there, especially considering the massive egos of Keith and Pete. They probably just couldnt accpet it, so it made them say stupid things.

I think Keith actually once was quoted saying something like "i dont think of zeppelin as a true band." WHAT? What the hell is that supposed to mean. He acts like he knows something that THEY dont!!

to be honest...it comes down that they didn't like Plant's shreiking, etc....probaly too in your face for their liking (but the Who were the same deal to me)...again, I love them all but Zep is my fave!!!

Must admit, seen Clapton quite a few times over the years, never went to see him specifically, he just happened to be on the bill. First time for instance, was supporting Bob Dylan at Blackbushe.

I found a lot of his solo work a bit dull, especially stuff like Lay Down Sally & Wonderful Tonight. This wouldn't really bother me, except for the fact that his work pre-1971 or thereabouts was excellent. Cream, for example, are one of my favourite bands ever. Seeing them in 2005 opened my eyes; in the right circumstances, EC can still pull out all the stops, and I think his more recent work certainly has more fire.

My own take on this is that he spent so many years on the booze, it made him lazy creatively.

Just my theory.

As for Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc. they're entitled to their opinions. I know in the 1960's the Stones were a bit envious of the Who's reputation as the world's best live band, and KR has made statements to the effect that he wouldn't like to listen to Roger Daltrey two hours non-stop, etc.

N.B. Don't bother telling me Led Zep are the best live band. I know.

hello everyone , myself i do like eric clapton he is wounderful in his own style of playing more blues tone. i think him and jp have respect for each ether. they each just have thier own way of playing, i injoy alot of guitar players like slash , you should hear him play clasical guitar beautiful. but my favorite is jimmy all the way .

I have always thought Clapton sounded incredibly tired, while he's playing, but especially while he's singing. Sounds like he can hardly stay awake. He's just really boring. To put it in perspective, has Zep ever done anything as lethargic as Lay Down Sally? Although, Wonderful Tonight is a nice song to dance with your wife to, you know, late in the night, at your cousins wedding, just before you go home to bed, because you'll already be half asleep.

A lot of you have no clue what you are talking about....you remind me of the Zep haters....please see him live and then say this....he is full of energy and emotion....just because he's not energetic like Jimmy (dancing around,etc.) doesn't mean he's lame....there's more to rock then Zeppelin people....seriously!!!

A lot of you have no clue what you are talking about....you remind me of the Zep haters....please see him live and then say this....he is full of energy and emotion....just because he's not energetic like Jimmy (dancing around,etc.) doesn't mean he's lame....there's more to rock then Zeppelin people....seriously!!!

Yes, but once he hooked up with Phil Collins in the 80's, Clapton stopped playing rock and started playing pop. Pretending, Change the World, My Father's Eyes, these are examples of pandering to the pop market for hits. Nothing but keyboards and megapolished backup singing, the lot of them- a color by numbers guitar solo does not a rock song make. Clapton was great, but he turned his back on the genre he helped define in exchange for a continued presence on the pop charts. It's not quite as severe a sellout as Rod Stewart's, but depressingly similar.

Frankly I think he started going downhill the moment he switched from Gibsons to Fenders.

Yes, but once he hooked up with Phil Collins in the 80's, Clapton stopped playing rock and started playing pop. Pretending, Change the World, My Father's Eyes, these are examples of pandering to the pop market for hits. Nothing but keyboards and megapolished backup singing, the lot of them- a color by numbers guitar solo does not a rock song make. Clapton was great, but he turned his back on the genre he helped define in exchange for a continued presence on the pop charts. It's not quite as severe a sellout as Rod Stewart's, but depressingly similar.

Frankly I think he started going downhill the moment he switched from Gibsons to Fenders.

Maybe his studio stuff might be tamer (I personally like most of his newer stuff...esp. the album with JJ Cale) but again, live....EC is still God....he has some sick solos!!!

Why should he go downhill just because he switched guitars?

<...Snip...> a color by numbers guitar solo <...Snip...>

:hysterical:

I don't really have anything to say on the subject but my goodness Magic Sam, that is one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time! I hope I didn't just wake my wife up with my laugh...

:yay:

Archived