Eric Clapton at the 02?

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Clapton's work with Mayall was the blueprint for all blues infused rock that followed, Zep included, if anything it's the other way around.

that's so wrong it's not even funny....when Jimmy Page produced songs for Eric Clapton with Immediate records, they were both jamming on the same type of material played with the same approach, the difference is that Clapton had a famous band playing in that style, and Jimmy was in the studio producing records....

Eric didn't come up with 'an approach' to the blues, that Jimmy wasn't already doing

Oh I see plenty of reasons.

1. Zeppelin's huge sales figures. They dwarf Clapton's.

2. Their lengendary aura which still prevails today.

3. The fact that generation after generation of music fans still see Zeppelin as relevant.

4. The fact that a large proportion of current or up and coming groups/acts have a lot of reverance for Zeppelin and have been influenced by them.

5. 17 year old girls thinking it's cool to walk around in a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. Never seen one in a Clapton tee. LOL.

I dont think those are reasons for someone like Eric Clapton to be jealous of anyone. There are girls walkign around with Britney tshirts, justin timberlake, etc. - you think he's jealous of them? They've both made a lot of records, sold many and won awards - they're in the upper echelon of artists. If EC doesn't like LZ's music that's fine, but dont chalk it up to jealousy.

Generation after generation of guitarists think Clapton is relevant and he's been primarily a solo artist for about 30 plus years of his career.

I dont think Clapton has reason to be jealous of any artist, he's great in his own right!

AAP

that's so wrong it's not even funny....when Jimmy Page produced songs for Eric Clapton with Immediate records, they were both jamming on the same type of material played with the same approach, the difference is that Clapton had a famous band playing in that style, and Jimmy was in the studio producing records....

Eric didn't come up with 'an approach' to the blues, that Jimmy wasn't already doing

If you are talking about the Immediate session where Jimmy's playing was nothing more than a redux of EC's licks and riffs verbatim then yeah you are right. They say imitation is flattery but not many people have had good things to say about Jimmy "phoning in" a few EC flavored solos for those sessions. Believe what you want but the timeline doesn't lie, EC was out of the gate long before JP started forging his legacy. First doesn't mean better by any means but it shouldn't be a secret EC played a huge part in what Jimmy went on to take further and a few stolen licks from one session don't add up to what EC did on Beano.

I know that Jimmy Page has played live with Eric Clapton. Im sure there is the video of "Layla" on YouTube where Jimmy, Eric, and Keith Richards are all on stage playing together.

That was not Keith Richards. It was Jeff Beck. :mellow:

It might be interesting for you guys that the late Jimi Hendrix wasn´t really fond of LZ and some other "new rock bands" (at that time, of course ;-)). He accused them of being insensitive and not understanding what blues is about. He admired Clapton though.

Well, I personally think that Page & Plant definetely know what blues is about but from a different (British or whatever you like to call it) angle. Clapton has always been a purist. And Clapton has always been a real guitar god. Same as Page and Beck although these guys have tried to lift the sound of an electric guitar to a new level.

Still, Clapton and Beck have been working constantly ever since while Page (in my humble opinion) could have done a bit more to keep his level he had in the 60ies and 70ies.

Before you start killing me: He´s my favourite guitar player. Jimmy Page is a fuc... genius! He still is!

And I am really looking forward to his next album he has been talking about in interviews last year. Good to see him back in action.

If you are talking about the Immediate session where Jimmy's playing was nothing more than a redux of EC's licks and riffs verbatim then yeah you are right. They say imitation is flattery but not many people have had good things to say about Jimmy "phoning in" a few EC flavored solos for those sessions. Believe what you want but the timeline doesn't lie, EC was out of the gate long before JP started forging his legacy. First doesn't mean better by any means but it shouldn't be a secret EC played a huge part in what Jimmy went on to take further and a few stolen licks from one session don't add up to what EC did on Beano.

you make a good point....I don't know....but I can't imagine Jimmy not jamming on the blues at that time, since he held weekly jam sessions at his house...what was he 'jamming' on? classical music? it was the blues....I'd say eric & jimmy are equal on this one

just for the record....when I wrote you're so wrong it's not even funny, I was just teasing, not being a smart ass

The "fans" of Led Zeppelin are far and away the most damning of ANY music "fans" I have ever encountered. Everyone else "sucks" compared to LZ...NOBODY is "better" than LZ

NO ONE is fit to shine Jimmy Pages boots. Clapton sucks.hendrix sucks beck sucks wes montgomery sucks segovia sucks george benson sucks jaco sucks ad infinitum!!!!

for christsakes...JIMMY PAGE has recorded ONE solo album in his ENTIRE LIFE.

How does "outrider" stack up next to Physical Graffiti? Hmmmmmmm?

or ANY frickin 3-star album recored since the DAWN OF TIME????

But OUTRIDER is BETTER THAN ANYTHING anyone else has ever done.

Because it JIMMY PAGE!!! Just beacause its JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Not a good enough reason for me.

EVERY other band/musician in the WORLD is unfavorably COMPARED to Led Zeppelin

EXCEPT Led Zeppelin!

WHY of WHY for the love of what ever god you believe in, DO led zep fans NOT

hold THEIR IMMORTALS to the same standard to which they CONDEMN nearly everone else????

Jeeeeezuz...so Clapton put out some LAME albums... at least HE PUTS OUT new material

and doest REPACKAGE his material from 30 years ago over and over and over and over again!

If you are talking about the Immediate session where Jimmy's playing was nothing more than a redux of EC's licks and riffs verbatim then yeah you are right. They say imitation is flattery but not many people have had good things to say about Jimmy "phoning in" a few EC flavored solos for those sessions

You do realize this was just a single jam session held one night in the living room of Jimmy's parent's home at 34 Miles Road in Epsom? Jimmy never intended to release it, but Immediate took possession of the master and spliced it up so as to appear to be separate tracks.

By the way, Jimmy's performance history goes back to 1958. Still, I will grant you that EC attained popularity first.

Still, Clapton and Beck have been working constantly ever since while Page (in my humble opinion) could have done a bit more to keep his level he had in the 60ies and 70ies.

Jeff Beck has been working consistently? I think not. Jimmy learned late in life there are more important things than six more nights at The Los Angeles Forum, namely raising one's family.

Clapton may be one of the best of all time, but him dissapproving of Zep's "take" on the blues is sour grapes. Clapton is a great blues imitator while Zeppelin took the blues, turned it inside out, and practically created a new genre of rock music.

Clapton is jealous pure and simple

I could not agree more! Clapton is among the very best of all time, no doubt. However, he is so trumped by Pagey and the Boys that he became irrelevant in comparison. Like you and others have said- Very good imitator, but that is about it. What Zep did? Shit- we're STILL TALKING ABOUT IT!!! We're STILL not over how incredible it was, and hopefully will remain thanks to Jason...

You do realize this was just a single jam session held one night in the living room of Jimmy's parent's home at 34 Miles Road in Epsom? Jimmy never intended to release it, but Immediate took possession of the master and spliced it up so as to appear to be separate tracks.

By the way, Jimmy's performance history goes back to 1958. Still, I will grant you that EC attained popularity first.

Sure I realize it, it wasn't me who brought it up. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about EC, which is odd because it's he's not my favourite player or anything. I just don't see any reason for people to run him down because he ventured into pop or didn't sell 300 million albums, the guy was a revolutionary guitarist with regard to style and tone. I'm just not big on making music into a competition. I don't know if I perceive it wrong or what but seems strange to me that people need to rewrite history or make false claims about Zep or it's members in an attempt to elevate them higher. Their accomplishments in their time should be enough, I don't need to find any other reasons to like them besides their music. Pitting JP against guys like EC doesn't make the Led Zep experience any better for me. Does that make sense? Probably not. BTW I'm not trying to be pedantic about EC and JP or their contributions, I'm not an expert on either and both were very important to guitar based music and how it's played. My world wouldn't be the same without either of those two men.

well lets see...

Jeff Beck solo albums since 1975...certianly not as prodigous an output as say FRANK ZAPPA

but...

Blow by Blow

Wired

Live

There and Back

Big Town playboys

who else

you had it coming

Jeff

pages solo output

outrider

case closed

I saw EC when he came through Winnipeg earlier this year and he was Fantastic, he played with a fire that is not evident on his recorded works you have to see him live to appreciate him properly.

As far as the great Page, Clapton, Beck, Hendrix debate I think you can't really compare them to one another, they are all true stylists with roots to a certain degree in the blues.

I love em all so ..........

RjK

I saw EC when he came through Winnipeg earlier this year and he was Fantastic, he played with a fire that is not evident on his recorded works you have to see him live to appreciate him properly.

I've actually start to rediscover EC's solo work, he did some really great stuff. A favourite is Reptile, he guitar work on that is amazing.

I saw him when he came through as well. If anyone doubts his amazing chops they only need to witness him live, he stood there and ripped some of the hottest solos I've ever heard. Not an easy tast when you're standing next to Derek Trucks and he did it like he was falling off a bike, it was just so effortless and smooth.

Sure I realize it, it wasn't me who brought it up. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about EC, which is odd because it's he's not my favourite player or anything. I just don't see any reason for people to run him down...

Well, remember that Eric Clapton just released an autobiography where he rips HIS OWN career to shreds, at least his stretch during the 70s and early 80s.

well lets see...

Jeff Beck solo albums since 1975...certianly not as prodigous an output as say FRANK ZAPPA

but...

Blow by Blow

Wired

Live

There and Back

Big Town playboys

who else

you had it coming

Jeff

pages solo output

outrider

case closed

so you're saying jeff has 8 records since 1975?

jimmy has physical (2 records) Presence

In Through the Outdoor CODA

death wish 2 The Firm The Firm (mean business) Outrider (was suppose to be a double lp but tapes got stolen?) Coverdale/Page Walking into Clarksdale

my math kinda sucks, but I think that equals 10 records, 11 if you count both physical

not to mention all the remasters of his lifes work both recorded and live

I think Jeff Beck's only jealousy is that he didn't wind up with someone like plant singing for him

Gee, I didn't realize how important it was for Eric to be present to see what he could never have or never be .....:lol:

Seriously though, whether you like him, love him or hate him, if or whenever the journal of influential rock guitarists of the 20th century is written, Eric will be mentioned along side Jimmy , Jimi, Beck.

I think Jeff Beck's only jealousy is that he didn't wind up with someone like plant singing for him

I don't know about that, it's been said the Jeff Beck Group was the blueprint for Zep, specifically Truth. If Jimmy didn't have guys like EC and JB to build from Zep as we know may not have been the same. Let's face it having original ideas is not Jimmy's strength, building on what came before and melding it into a hotrod musical stew is his thing. He's the one who should have an album titled Mighty Rearranger.

At least your jealousy theory centers around music, far too many make the mistake of using Zep's success to measure their "worth". Which IMO is a trap unless you want to bring Garth Brooks into the argument. Financial success and popularity often has as much to do with aggressive marketing and luck than talent.

I don't know about that, it's been said the Jeff Beck Group was the blueprint for Zep, specifically Truth. If Jimmy didn't have guys like EC and JB to build from Zep as we know may not have been the same. Let's face it having original ideas is not Jimmy's strength, building on what came before and melding it into a hotrod musical stew is his thing. He's the one who should have an album titled Mighty Rearranger.

At least your jealousy theory centers around music, far too many make the mistake of using Zep's success to measure their "worth". Which IMO is a trap unless you want to bring Garth Brooks into the argument. Financial success and popularity often has as much to do with aggressive marketing and luck than talent.

there was a recent interview with beck where he said rod stewart and robert plant are the only vocalists that he likes and would want to be in a band with...........I was shocked at first,

but then it made sense.

Archived