Eric Clapton at the 02?

It's sad to see so many of you think EC sucks...he is one the best ever....esp. live....please haters watch this one and tell me he is boring....I love how he slowly builds the energy up in the solo at the end....honestly people....you don't have to like him but to say he sucks or is boring is ridiculous IMO (plus he has a great voice)...I've seen Clapton 8x and will going for my ninth this Feb. (he's playing with Steve Winwood three nights at MSG....lots of Blind Faith too :D )....never seen a bad show with him...always a GREAT TIME...enjoy!!!

P.S. That's the legendary Steve Gadd on drums!!!

Nice. Has soul, articulate lead, tight band, fresh arrangement. He does good stuff. I've seen several of his shows over the past 30 years and have never been disappointed. Don't expect lazers or a solo with a bow, though.

Why should he go downhill just because he switched guitars?

Accompanied with the change in guitars was a change in philosophy. The thick 'woman' tone of the Gibsons was the vehicle for the sort of proto hard rock and more dramatic leads of his Mayall, Cream, and Blind Faith period (which is most people's favorite Clapton, I daresay.) When he started playing Fenders, it was symptomatic of his desire to put his guitar playing in the back seat to his singing, something that the jangly Fender tone was far more suited to. To my ear, Gibsons have better lead tone for single notes, and Fender is better for hearing differentiated notes in a chord.

They say that hearing the Band's Music From Big Pink was what made Clapton doubt the validity of what he had been doing with the guitar and long to be a song oriented artist. He shouldn't have- he is a fine singer, songwriter, and intepreter of songs, but only very good. It always has been and always will be his guitar playing that is extraordinary, and IMO he hurt himself by putting that in the background. And then when he went pop, well . . . it was down hill from there.

On the bright side of things, putting together his current band with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall is a good sign.

A lot of you have no clue what you are talking about....you remind me of the Zep haters....please see him live and then say this....he is full of energy and emotion....just because he's not energetic like Jimmy (dancing around,etc.) doesn't mean he's lame....there's more to rock then Zeppelin people....seriously!!!

You posting a live version of I shot the Sheriff is not going to change my mind lol. I read in the youtube thread some rocket scientist thought Clapton sings it better then Bob Marley. Wow ok, His opinion right?

Is it possible that some of us are not moved by Eric Claptons playing? Can't you just respect that and move on? Or are you one of these type of people who demands he is always right? Because that is the way you are coming off. Saying there is more to music then Zeppelin is an insult to it's fans. If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place to live, wouldn't it?

I do not like Eric Clapton. You do. That's it, nothing more.

I'm going to stick up for Clapton here. I love his playing, I like many of his career paths (along with not caring for others). To me, there are few players that put as much emotion into his playing. Plus, think of all the love he's given the forgotten bluesmen of the past. When Cream covered Skip James's I'm So Glad, he allegedly went back and bought Skip James a house. I give him huge props for doing things like this over the years. He still has the only blues album to ever debut at number 1, no small feat indeed (From The Cradle).

We need people like Clapton and Zeppelin. Traditionalists and progressives. Traditionalists are there to remind us of the roots, while the progressives keep pushing those roots into the future, or redefining them so they do not get stale. Without one, the other becomes irrelevant. Without progressives, the traditionalists become almost a museum piece. Without traditionalists, progressives would forget the roots. I honestly believe this.

Clapton has tried on many different musical hats: blues, rock, country, reggae, pop. But in my mind he's always approached it from a blues perspective. People give him a hard time, and a lot of times I think it is undeserved. He is still one of the best guitarists in the world, as evidenced by his rousing performances at the Cream reunion and his two Crossroads festivals. I really don't think anyone can argue that point, anyone not of sane mind anyway. As a matter of fact, I will commit blasphemy and say right now he is playing better than ever: much more refined while still retaining that passion. People who say he is devoid of passion simply aren't paying attention. You don't have to jump up and down to play with pure passion (ask Derek Trucks).

Who cares that he didn't go? Who cares if he doesn't like Led Zeppelin? I personally don't care. Heck, I'm not that big a fan of Jeff Beck (please don't throw stones). Though I would've killed to have gone (thought about it too lol). Besides, Clapton's never been one to follow the crowd anyway. He's always followed his own path. I don't recall him being at the Pink Floyd reunion at Live 8 either. He's left many bands at the height of their fame (Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, The Dominos), simply because he wants to follow his own interests. Point is, he's seen the big bands, played with them, been friends with them. What he hasn't had is a stable family life. EVER. Which he now has. So I'm sure that's far more interesting to him at this point than Led Zeppelin. Sorry. That's just my opinion anyway.

And if anyone thinks this is an attack of Zeppelin, far from it. But my belief is, one doesn't need to bash Clapton to make Zeppelin look great. As a matter of fact, if you need to slag another artist to make another band look good, that makes them look worse. Just my 2 cents anyway.

I'm going to stick up for Clapton here. I love his playing, I like many of his career paths (along with not caring for others). To me, there are few players that put as much emotion into his playing. Plus, think of all the love he's given the forgotten bluesmen of the past. When Cream covered Skip James's I'm So Glad, he allegedly went back and bought Skip James a house. I give him huge props for doing things like this over the years. He still has the only blues album to ever debut at number 1, no small feat indeed (From The Cradle).

We need people like Clapton and Zeppelin. Traditionalists and progressives. Traditionalists are there to remind us of the roots, while the progressives keep pushing those roots into the future, or redefining them so they do not get stale. Without one, the other becomes irrelevant. Without progressives, the traditionalists become almost a museum piece. Without traditionalists, progressives would forget the roots. I honestly believe this.

Clapton has tried on many different musical hats: blues, rock, country, reggae, pop. But in my mind he's always approached it from a blues perspective. People give him a hard time, and a lot of times I think it is undeserved. He is still one of the best guitarists in the world, as evidenced by his rousing performances at the Cream reunion and his two Crossroads festivals. I really don't think anyone can argue that point, anyone not of sane mind anyway. As a matter of fact, I will commit blasphemy and say right now he is playing better than ever: much more refined while still retaining that passion. People who say he is devoid of passion simply aren't paying attention. You don't have to jump up and down to play with pure passion (ask Derek Trucks).

Who cares that he didn't go? Who cares if he doesn't like Led Zeppelin? I personally don't care. Heck, I'm not that big a fan of Jeff Beck (please don't throw stones). Though I would've killed to have gone (thought about it too lol). Besides, Clapton's never been one to follow the crowd anyway. He's always followed his own path. I don't recall him being at the Pink Floyd reunion at Live 8 either. He's left many bands at the height of their fame (Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, The Dominos), simply because he wants to follow his own interests. Point is, he's seen the big bands, played with them, been friends with them. What he hasn't had is a stable family life. EVER. Which he now has. So I'm sure that's far more interesting to him at this point than Led Zeppelin. Sorry. That's just my opinion anyway.

And if anyone thinks this is an attack of Zeppelin, far from it. But my belief is, one doesn't need to bash Clapton to make Zeppelin look great. As a matter of fact, if you need to slag another artist to make another band look good, that makes them look worse. Just my 2 cents anyway.

This is one of the best posts on this subject I've ever read. Thank you. B)

This is one of the best posts on this subject I've ever read. Thank you. B)

My thoughts exactly.

Page = God

Clapton = God

Both are amazing blues guitarists end of. Okay Clapton has put out some dire soft rockish songs in the past but he can still kick ass today. I saw him in '06 and he was amazing. And weren't Cream going to support Led Zeppelin when the show was going to be at the RAH?

Oh and for all the Clapton bashers:

story_pic.jpg:P

You posting a live version of I shot the Sheriff is not going to change my mind lol. I read in the youtube thread some rocket scientist thought Clapton sings it better then Bob Marley. Wow ok, His opinion right?

Is it possible that some of us are not moved by Eric Claptons playing? Can't you just respect that and move on? Or are you one of these type of people who demands he is always right? Because that is the way you are coming off. Saying there is more to music then Zeppelin is an insult to it's fans. If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place to live, wouldn't it?

I do not like Eric Clapton. You do. That's it, nothing more.

That's fine with me BUT what I was getting at that is a lot of people on here seem to bash other bands that are really good (and they always seem to compare those bands to Zep)....from their comments you get that they never even listened to these artists..of course, this a Zep site so you'd expect that a little bit....I think a lot of those people are blind to other music (if that's insult too bad IMO...anyone that knows me knows I'm the biggest Zep freak and I could be called being blind to other bands too)...not saying you...and YES....I'M ALWAYS RIGHT!!! :D

P.S. Anyway, what good is a site if you can't go at it sometimes (without getting nasty)....right brother?

That's fine with me BUT what I was getting at that is a lot of people on here seem to bash other bands that are really good (and they always seem to compare those bands to Zep)....from their comments you get that they never even listened to these artists..of course, this a Zep site so you'd expect that a little bit....I think a lot of those people are blind to other music (if that's insult too bad IMO...anyone that knows me knows I'm the biggest Zep freak and I could be called being blind to other bands too)...not saying you...and YES....I'M ALWAYS RIGHT!!! :D

P.S. Anyway, what good is a site if you can't go at it sometimes (without getting nasty)....right brother?

I agree with you yet again Wolfman.

We all have very different musical tastes but are (supposedly) united here, in our love for the Masters!.Maybe bashing other musicians is a sign of insecurity?

If that is so, then they are misguided.

I myself still get a thrill, even a shock, when I see a critic from a respectable publication describe Led Zeppelin as the greatest rock band of our era.I might even question it myself: -No! That can"t be right!, that means someone else thinks as I do!.

Then I just have to put on one of thier albums to know exactly the place in music, history,and in the hearts of fans that they had,have and will have.It doesn't take a genius to realise that music has now changed forerer, as it should.The Rock Era has now passed into history.It has left more than a handfull of true legends that will transend fashions wims and Record Company Hype. They will forever be remembered as the greatest our time produced.

Besides you being right all the time, I absolutely agree on almost half your points. :D

I certainly respect Clapton for his work and enjoy a lot of his music.....but I must say when I saw him last year he didn't move me at all....he has great skill but there was no magic...just skill devoid of any emotion or feeling.....NOTHING compared to Jimmy (or some others I could mention...)....

I certainly respect Clapton for his work and enjoy a lot of his music.....but I must say when I saw him last year he didn't move me at all....he has great skill but there was no magic...just skill devoid of any emotion or feeling.....NOTHING compared to Jimmy (or some others I could mention...)....

See, this is what I don't get, when people say he was devoid of emotion. Why? Why was he devoid of emotion. Because I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought. Enlighten me, if you will....

See, this is what I don't get, when people say he was devoid of emotion. Why? Why was he devoid of emotion. Because I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought. Enlighten me, if you will....

I am struggling with this concept as well!

I saw Clapton live last year and his solo on I Shot The Sheriff left me sitting there bug eyed, and mouth hanging slightly open, it was one of the best guitar solos I have ever witnessed... that guy has emotion!! I don't understand why everyone has to compare everyone else to Zep, and if they're not as good as Zep they're crap. You can't compare everyone to Led Zeppelin. Obviously if you're a die hard Zep Head no one is gonna match up. I was like that a few years ago, I listened only to Led Zeppelin because no one else affected me the way that they did. No one else does still, but I realized other music could be just as good in its own way. Zeppelin holds a special place in my heart, but there's so much other stuff out there that I can enjoy without going "Well its not as good as Led Zeppelin.." Zeppelin are Gods but there's so many other Gods out there that I think a lot of Zep fans miss out on... not in the rock realm but all the blues and jazz greats that I never see mentioned on the forums...

Anyway that's sort of off topic but just an observation on my part!... I think maybe Page fans think Clapton has "no emotion" because they think of Jimmy and his whole "tight but loose" sloppy improvization that always teetered on the edge.. and its not in the same realm as Clapton. Clapton sounds 'cleaner' or more 'rehearsed' or whatever than Pagey, perhaps. That's not a bad thing though and thats maybe what some people need to realize.

Well, I see a lot of shows (in my line of work) and can't tell you why I felt that way but there it is....I see a lot of musicians who seem to have a lot of heart in what they're doing and I just didn't feel anything from him....I was looking forward to it because I've never seen him live in person....

I compare him to JP here because it's a Zeppelin board and he pumps out raw emotion and magic....I've only have been getting into Zep since the 02 after about 20 years of not listening to them much actually so JP is not my habitual measuring stick but in this instance they seem night and day these two performers....

I'm going to see Clapton later this year,can anyone tell me if he's a good live show?

Saw him in @96 on the Pilgrim tour. Hands down one of the worst shows I've ever seen. That album wasn't very good IMHO, hopefully he's playing some better material and will put on a show for you. When I saw him he phoned it in.

His last tour featured Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II, and had a good number of Derek And The Dominos songs. Here's a setlist from his last tour:

Tell The Truth

Key To The Highway

Got to Get Better in A Little While

Little Wing

Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad

Driftin' (EC Solo) (acoustic)

Outside Woman Blues (acoustic)

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (acoustic)

Running On Faith (acoustic)

Motherless Children

Little Queen of Spades

Further On Up The Road

Wonderful Tonight

Layla

Encore

Cocaine

Crossroads (with Robert Cray)

And here's a clip from the Crossroads festival this past July:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZQ997nI2U

And it's funny, as many people that hate Pilgrim, he considers it one of his best, because apparently there was a lot of baggage that got lifted on that record. In his book, he told his drummer Steve Gadd that he wanted to make the saddest record of all-time. I think he succeeded.

He's a great live show.

I only saw him once in a small club doing mostly blues songs but it was an amazing show.

Saw him in @96 on the Pilgrim tour. Hands down one of the worst shows I've ever seen. That album wasn't very good IMHO, hopefully he's playing some better material and will put on a show for you. When I saw him he phoned it in.

His last tour featured Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II, and had a good number of Derek And The Dominos songs. Here's a setlist from his last tour:

Tell The Truth

Key To The Highway

Got to Get Better in A Little While

Little Wing

Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad

Driftin' (EC Solo) (acoustic)

Outside Woman Blues (acoustic)

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (acoustic)

Running On Faith (acoustic)

Motherless Children

Little Queen of Spades

Further On Up The Road

Wonderful Tonight

Layla

Encore

Cocaine

Crossroads (with Robert Cray)

And here's a clip from the Crossroads festival this past July:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZQ997nI2U

And it's funny, as many people that hate Pilgrim, he considers it one of his best, because apparently there was a lot of baggage that got lifted on that record. In his book, he told his drummer Steve Gadd that he wanted to make the saddest record of all-time. I think he succeeded.

Well thanks for the info,i'll just have to hope for more Slowhand and less Pilgrim.It's quite a small Arena,but not tiny,I think he will shine.The tickets sold out in 5 minutes,i had to rely on the coolest friend ever (Who also has managed to secure Bruce Springsteen tickets for me) to get them.3 of my other friends also got tickets,I'm gonna bring a big sign saying "Clapton Is God",d'you think that's a good idea?

I am struggling with this concept as well!

I saw Clapton live last year and his solo on I Shot The Sheriff left me sitting there bug eyed, and mouth hanging slightly open, it was one of the best guitar solos I have ever witnessed... that guy has emotion!! I don't understand why everyone has to compare everyone else to Zep, and if they're not as good as Zep they're crap. You can't compare everyone to Led Zeppelin. Obviously if you're a die hard Zep Head no one is gonna match up. I was like that a few years ago, I listened only to Led Zeppelin because no one else affected me the way that they did. No one else does still, but I realized other music could be just as good in its own way. Zeppelin holds a special place in my heart, but there's so much other stuff out there that I can enjoy without going "Well its not as good as Led Zeppelin.." Zeppelin are Gods but there's so many other Gods out there that I think a lot of Zep fans miss out on... not in the rock realm but all the blues and jazz greats that I never see mentioned on the forums...

Anyway that's sort of off topic but just an observation on my part!... I think maybe Page fans think Clapton has "no emotion" because they think of Jimmy and his whole "tight but loose" sloppy improvization that always teetered on the edge.. and its not in the same realm as Clapton. Clapton sounds 'cleaner' or more 'rehearsed' or whatever than Pagey, perhaps. That's not a bad thing though and thats maybe what some people need to realize.

Excellent points songbird!

Archived