Eric Clapton at the 02?

Eric made it plain in his recent autobiography that he dissaproved of Zeppelins take on the blues.He was always critical of them.

He was bemused to find that he had unconsciously re-written Stairway as one of his own songs however!.

Jealous I say! :lol:

CRAPTON IS COD.

denton%20tom%20cod%20a114%20copy.jpg

I don't know why I put that because I like a lot of the stuff Clapton did...but nevertheless he doesn't come close to Zeppelin....and that's why he disapproves of them!! :lol:

Eric made it plain in his recent autobiography that he dissaproved of Zeppelins take on the blues.He was always critical of them.

He was bemused to find that he had unconsciously re-written Stairway as one of his own songs however!.

He actually doesn't mention Zeppelin's take on the blues.

"...Let It Grow, and it was several years before I realized that I had totally ripped of 'Stairway to Heaven', the famous Zeppelin anthem, a cruel justice seeing as how I'd always been such a severe critic of theirs."

Sounds to me that he's owning up to a bit of plagiarism.

Here's another interesting quote:

"Though I rated Jeff Beck, and also Jimmy Page, their roots were in rockabilly, while mine were in the blues. I loved what they did, and there was no competitiveness between us; we just played different styles."

"...Let It Grow, and it was several years before I realized that I had totally ripped of 'Stairway to Heaven', the famous Zeppelin anthem, a cruel justice seeing as how I'd always been such a severe critic of theirs."

"Though I rated Jeff Beck, and also Jimmy Page, their roots were in rockabilly, while mine were in the blues. I loved what they did, and there was no competitiveness between us; we just played different styles."

Yeah, I looked through Clapton's autobiography in a shop the other day, checking the index for Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page references, and there's nothing derogatory in there. Mind you, there's no particular opinion either way really, so that doesn't prove much.

all i say is that page still rocks while clapton or crapton to some of you is sleepville...he was so boring during the cream reunion...do something anything...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They seemed to play every thing a lot SLOWER than they used to too!

I always liked Clapton's music. I liked him at the Cream reunion as well. Funny, in the book, he says that he was really sick for the shows in London, but thought they played really well. He also said that by the time they got to the Garden, they were just going throught the motions, doing it for the money and that their egos had all resurfaced. He didn't like those shows.

I thought they were pretty damn good.

However, after reading his book, I have come to dislike the guy immensely.

It's a really good read and very revealing. I give him credit for that. I just feel that, in reading the book, I got to know a guy that I probably wouldn't like in real life.

Doesn't take anything away from the music though.

"A cruel justice seeing as how I'd always been such a severe critic of theirs."

That is proof that Eric didn't enjoy Led Zeppelins take on the blues right there.You don't have to read between the lines!.

However, I should have mentioned that Eric has never said that Jimmy is a poor or any way inferior guitarist.They obviously knew each other very well, and for a time may have enjoyed one anothers guitar skills.

It has always blown me away that the greatest living guitarists from the 60's, were born within 2 years and twenty miles of each other!.

Keith Richards 1943.Jimmy and Jeff 1944, Eric and Pete 1945.

What are the odds of that happening again?.

^^Pretty neat isn't it? It all goes to show that there is something to be said for right time, right place. Something amazing was happening in England in the '60s. If all those guys you mentioned (Not mention the Beatles.) had been spread out across the globe, rock history would have been very different.

For you info i don't get my info from google like you, I know some one who was there, and the fact is I am right, so google all you want pal I am right and bet my life on it. end of discussion your wrong and cant admit it, tells me a lot about your character. loser comes to mind.

I suppose I'll just have to take your word for it, huh? I may be a loser, but at least I'm a loser with sources for my info.

Unlike you. :rolleyes:

Disappointed in him if he indeed wasnt there. I am sure he and Jimmy know each other well. always wondered how their relaionship was and is now? The long argument between guitar players and followers has always been who is the best? the top three always mentioned are Page, Clapton and Hendrix. To me its Page hands down. Easily! Sure the other two are great. I wish Jimmy Hendrix could give us opinion on Page and Clapton. Clapton had so many fewer great classic solos next to Page. Jimmy has so many classic solos and his song writing (of course with Roberts help) was superior to Claptons in my opinion. Of course he had Plant and Clapton and Henrix couldnt sing a lick next to Robert. That said, to me Layla is his Stairway to Heaven. I think he was always a bit jealous of Zeppelin;s success and record sales. Very disrespectful of him not to show. Even McCartney showed, and Im surprized. i know Jagger would come through. I had this pic of Jimmy and Robert at Jaggers place back in the 70s recording. So I assume he has always been friends with Page and Plant? In any event, Clapton is better off without that bitch Sheryl Crowe. She sucks!

I think you're right, as long as I do have 30+ years wondering why verybody consider Clapton as a guitar god, for me he was, is and will be a regular blues guitarist, period. Because his song even if they were of any rithm, are not something which amaze, as any riff from Page.

^^Pretty neat isn't it? It all goes to show that there is something to be said for right time, right place. Something amazing was happening in England in the '60s. If all those guys you mentioned (Not mention the Beatles.) had been spread out across the globe, rock history would have been very different.

Right place right time?It seems to me that they must have put something in the water in London in the 1940's, or maybe it was the Air Raid SIRENS! :D

Through the years we will all have our favourites,......enough of the rumour & innuendo,pick your best and be comfortable with him/her...........maybe..Bonnie Raitt,maybe Randy Rhodes,or Chuck Berry,just don't try to change peoples opinions. :P;)

all i say is that page still rocks while clapton or crapton to some of you is sleepville...he was so boring during the cream reunion...do something anything...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whoaaaa there buddy "clapton or crapton to some of you is sleepville" Clapton has always been more about "the Music" than showmanship aside from trying to outdress Hendrix in the 60"s with Cream.

He is not one to jump around the stage doing the splits or the arm twirl whenever he hits the right chord like some people are known for !!! He also does not have the luxury of have a charismatic lead singer to play off of ie: Page/Plant. He has always been happy to be just a member of "The Band".

I was lucky enough to see him live in 07 and he burned with a fire Metallica would be jealous of !!!

His guitar work was far better live than on his recorded works as well his voice has matured better than Mr. Plants has ( sry Robert I love ya but ... ).

I know what your saying I just don't like how you said it is all, its about style and your just not into his. Just pls don't use "Crapton" if your trying to make a point.

RjK

Whoaaaa there buddy "clapton or crapton to some of you is sleepville" Clapton has always been more about "the Music" than showmanship aside from trying to outdress Hendrix in the 60"s with Cream.

He is not one to jump around the stage doing the splits or the arm twirl whenever he hits the right chord like some people are known for !!! He also does not have the luxury of have a charismatic lead singer to play off of ie: Page/Plant. He has always been happy to be just a member of "The Band".

I was lucky enough to see him live in 07 and he burned with a fire Metallica would be jealous of !!!

His guitar work was far better live than on his recorded works as well his voice has matured better than Mr. Plants has ( sry Robert I love ya but ... ).

I know what your saying I just don't like how you said it is all, its about style and your just not into his. Just pls don't use "Crapton" if your trying to make a point.

RjK

Clapton is a class act, no doubt about it. Seen him live many times, always great.

But why would you be comparing his vocal "maturation" to Robert Plant's?

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

And sorry, but Jimmy Page is not known for "doing the splits or the arm twirl whenever he hits the right chord", he's known for the amazing music he composed with Led Zeppelin.

RjK

I am guilty of the Crapton comment. He is a total bore IMO. And forever to me, will be over credited with the label of a blues purist, who put "the music" first. Unless you need money for coke, and H, then Miller genuine draft comes first. Or, at the very least, After Midnight. A man who sold every single guitar he owned to feed his need. How about screwing your best friends wife? This man does not have one earnest bone in his body IMO.

Class act.

A true purist. :blink:

i think jimmy plays the blues way better than clapton (and all other styles too) ..but esp. blues

the "killer" slide guitar of jimmy is just unbeatable. but i have never been an EC fan except much later work and different style "tears in heaven" still brings tears to my eyes when hear it.

Clapton is a class act, no doubt about it. Seen him live many times, always great.

But why would you be comparing his vocal "maturation" to Robert Plant's?

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

And sorry, but Jimmy Page is not known for "doing the splits or the arm twirl whenever he hits the right chord", he's known for the amazing music he composed with Led Zeppelin.

Because they close in age and Claptons voice has grown into his bluesy style better than Plants, don't forget Zep down tuned their guitars to adjust to Plants lower vocal range. Its not a slight against Robert shit it happens to everybody as we age I just think it suits Clapton a bit better is all I am saying.

Man I thought there would be more love for Clapton on these forums, guess I was wrong.

RjK

I think Clapton should go back on the heroin and see if he can re-capture his former passion. But only for a little while :D

You are just a little misinformed!

Heroin never helped Clapton or anyone else to make better music for any length of time.In fact I believe he stayed at home for two years, glueing together model aircraft and doing H until his money ran out.

Good for him, but I have never seen an example of his model work to be able to tell if he was any good at it or not!. B)

Heroin eventually claimed the lives of many people that he loved.I don't think he'll be going back there anytime soon!

You are just a little misinformed!

Heroin never helped Clapton or anyone else to make better music for any length of time.In fact I believe he stayed at home for two years, glueing together model aircraft and doing H until his money ran out.

Good for him, but I have never seen an example of his model work to be able to tell if he was any good at it or not!. B)

Heroin eventually claimed the lives of many people that he loved.I don't think he'll be going back there anytime soon!

Yeah I know that, thats why I posted it. A bit of a sick joke.

And FWIW he was home mentally when I saw him in concert in 96. Terrible show. H really looked miserable and phoned it in. His band was terrible as well, the drummer was...just bad. I'm still trying to block it out. It was teh Pilgrim tour FWIW.

Because they close in age and Claptons voice has grown into his bluesy style better than Plants, don't forget Zep down tuned their guitars to adjust to Plants lower vocal range. Its not a slight against Robert shit it happens to everybody as we age I just think it suits Clapton a bit better is all I am saying.

Man I thought there would be more love for Clapton on these forums, guess I was wrong.

RjK

Yes, it is "a slight against Plant". Just comparing Plant's vocals to Claptons is an insult. Claptons vocals are always layed back and easy, I can sing any of his songs,

and I'm not a singer.

Lets hear Clapton sing TSRTS or Achilles Last Stand or Immigrant Song or Kashmir or For Your Life or The Rain Song or The Crunge or ........ hopefully, your getting my point.

It has always blown me away that the greatest living guitarists from the 60's, were born within 2 years and twenty miles of each other!.

Keith Richards 1943.Jimmy and Jeff 1944, Eric and Pete 1945. What are the odds of that happening again?.

I'm convinced there must have been something in the English water system, particularly around Sussex. :)

Jimmy & Jeff have known each other since they were 11. I read that those two and Clapton used to play guitar at Jimmy's family home in Epsom. I wonder how they would have developed as musicians if they didn't have each other to learn from/compete against/be inspired by & perhaps jealous of at times...

It's sad to see so many of you think EC sucks...he is one the best ever....esp. live....please haters watch this one and tell me he is boring....I love how he slowly builds the energy up in the solo at the end....honestly people....you don't have to like him but to say he sucks or is boring is ridiculous IMO (plus he has a great voice)...I've seen Clapton 8x and will going for my ninth this Feb. (he's playing with Steve Winwood three nights at MSG....lots of Blind Faith too :D )....never seen a bad show with him...always a GREAT TIME...enjoy!!!

P.S. That's the legendary Steve Gadd on drums!!!

Archived