Led Zeppelin v Black Sabbath

weslgarlic

I think Zep had some prog tendencies, but like so many other influences they were able to seamlessly blend it into their own style. No Quarter, TSRTS, In the Light all have alot of the hallmarks of prog. Even in some of their less epic pieces, they have some pretty unique arrangements which seem to really push the boundaries.

To weigh in on the Sabbath/Zep debate. I doubt they ever adjusted release dates based on conversations with the Sabs. Never heard of the Stones and Beatles doing that either, and in fact always gathered there was more of a rivalry with them.

Sabbath was great in their own right, but I don't think they hang with Zeppelin album for album. As for the album for album comparison, I think Paranoid/II is a pretty close competition and the closest of all their albums.

I agree with you. I think you are correct in all you are saying. However, I must admit that even so, in all fairness I will say that weslgarlic really isn't totally wrong either. I just have never heard it said with regard to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. At the same time, I really don't believe one can compare the two "quality wise" because it presents the question of what standard do you use to measure quality. I believe sales figures are a more concrete measure of comparison, and though Black Sabbath has sold over 15 million records in the United States and 70 million worldwide, Led Zeppelin still outsells Black Sabbath. I believe Black Sabbath album sales are roughly one-third of Led Zeppelin's.

I also believe that had both LZ and Sabbath believed they had good enough reason to schedule a release and tour to coincide with each other, they could have done so.

Lastly, what you say about Paranoid/II is what I have heard often from Led Zeppelin fans I have known. For this reason, I never became that familiar with Black Sabbath's music, nor Ozzy's solo venture.

What I tried to get across is that both Led Zeppelin &Black Sabbath (Ozzy era)had released the same amount of albums and both had maintained a certain quality with each release and you could argue their last studio albums were not their strongest. But all albums like the Beatles 1960’s albums were made using mainly just the 4 group members

Post-split of both bands produced two pairs of writing partnerships

Iommi/Butler with DIO

Osbourne with Rhoades/Daisley

PLANT with Blunt

PAGE with Rodgers

I think Heaven & Hell , Mob Rules , Blizzard Of Ozz & Diary OF A Madman are better than

Pictures at Eleven , The Principle of Moments ,The Firm & Mean Business

I think Heaven & Hell , Mob Rules , Blizzard Of Ozz & Diary OF A Madman are better than

Pictures at Eleven , The Principle of Moments ,The Firm & Mean Business

That's a Good post rite dere Paw Paw. I agree, and feel that Heaven and Hell is even better then half of the groups albums with Ozzy.

• 1 month later...

I think Black Sabbath should have changed their name to Heaven &Hell the first time Dio joined that way they might have done Rainbow numbers too , Dio may have stayed longer

And when OZZY re-joined during Live Aid it might of led to more permanent affair

Shame Led Zeppelin's Bath 1986 reunion ended so briefly

Archived