Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
TheLastSpartan

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes

Recommended Posts

Oct 16, 1999 Worcester, MA.  I was there.  Joe Perry came on stage for "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac.  Fantastic show.  What a set list (from Jimmy's website today).  Video below set list.

Celebration Day
Custard Pie
Sick Again
No Speak No Slave
What Is and What Should Never Be
Hard to Handle
Mellow Down Easy
Ten Years Gone
In My Time of Dying
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Remedy
The Lemon Song
Shake Your Money Maker
Shapes of Things
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Heartbreaker

Encore

Hey Hey What Can I Do
Out on the Tiles > Whole Lotta Love
You Shook Me
Oh Well

   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the Worcester show as well John M. what an amazing show! The Centrum is a bit smaller of a venue so the view was pretty great from the balcony where I was seated. 

Favorite songs for me at this show were ten years gone and shapes of things. I remember I thought it funny that the first run of these shows were in LA, New York, and Worcester of all places before they announced the larger tour...I was glad they came here but why not Boston? 

I also was at the Great Woods show later that following summer; the one where the who was playing back to back nights...was very good, but not as good as the Worcester show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Hoek said:

I also was at the Great Woods show later that following summer; the one where the who was playing back to back nights...was very good, but not as good as the Worcester show.

I was at the Great Woods show too.   I don't remember which show was better - they were both great shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at 2 of the 3 shows at roseland, same setlist i think, a well rehearsed setlist for a fans dream....as far as led zeppelin setlists went. Never thought those would be the last Page shows. 

Crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I thought Worcester seemed better since I was seated on the lawn at the great woods show and the sound usually is pretty piss poor there; even now that it is the Comcast Xfinity Center.  I remember seeing Phish there two years ago or three years ago and the sound cut out for most of the show on the lawn and it was really bad overall.  Additionally, I also really like some of the dive bars in Worcester, so maybe I was a bit biased. 

For the Crowes and Page, the performance prob was better at Great Woods given the amount of time they had been playing together at that point.  I'm a bit fuzzy on it I suppose from having too much fun tailgating before the show.  I need to look up the Great Woods Show Setlist now....

Edited by Darth Hoek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other show I saw on that tour was Camden, NJ July 8, 2000.  Another fantastic show.   Horsehead and No Speak No Slave were killer !!  Too bad they never did My Morning Song together.  One of the Crowes best tracks and it would have suited Jimmy well. 

Edited by John M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Listened to this for the first time last night and I'm really happy I did as I love these rehearsal recordings.

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Steve Gorman has his book about the Crowes coming out in September. One of the things he always drops hints about in interviews is the "whole story" about the Page and Crowes 2000 tour. I know Gorman holds Page in extremely high regard and you can argue that (considering the short amount of time they played together) Gorman clicked with Page better than most drummers post Bonzo. I'd be interested to hear what happened from Gorman's perspective.

Jimmy injured his back in Albuquerque or Phoenix or something, I believe, but it always perplexed me why they didn't just reschedule. I'm sure the tour was a moneymaker considering how they were touring with The Who and saved money on equipment/stage set up and whatnot. It will be interesting to read. I'm going to assume it would be "Page drinking and Robinson brothers fighting" or something like that. lol. Who knows.

Also check out The Magpie Salute (featuring Rich Robinson and Marc Ford) and Trigger hippy (Steve Gorman's band). Both are releasing great music.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Handle-Death-Crowes-Memoir-ebook/dp/B07MLRFLBC

Edited by jmorton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, jmorton said:

Jimmy injured his back in Albuquerque or Phoenix or something, I believe, but it always perplexed me why they didn't just reschedule

Yes. This was frustrating, as I bought front row tickets at a Publix (grocery store / Ticketmaster ) in Atlanta 2000 only for them to not reschedule (cancelled date) due to JP’s injury. 😞

R😎

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, jmorton said:

Jimmy injured his back in Albuquerque or Phoenix or something, I believe, but it always perplexed me why they didn't just reschedule. I'm sure the tour was a moneymaker considering how they were touring with The Who and saved money on equipment/stage set up and whatnot. It will be interesting to read. I'm going to assume it would be "Page drinking and Robinson brothers fighting" or something like that. lol. Who knows.

I know I have addressed this privately from time to time, but if I haven't posted it here...

Jimmy injured his back on the day off in Los Angeles after Albuquerque. He pressed on with their television performance in Burbank the following afternoon and then the decision was made to postpone and ultimately cancel all remaining dates. The reason why they didn't "just reschedule" is two fold. First, they would no longer have had the touring arrangement they had in place with The Who. Secondly, one of the conditions of the insurance underwriter's settlement of the claim was that Jimmy Page could not perform in public for at least six months. In point of fact, when he and his wife went to Fort Lauderdale at the end of the year he was still receiving physical therapy for his injured back. Consequently, all of the European dates for Nov/Dec were also cancelled.

That's the long and short of it. They had just come out of a mid-tour break of several weeks. If there was any fighting or what not the break would have been the time to pull the plug, not after traveling all the way from England to the west coast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 7:21 AM, SteveAJones said:

I know I have addressed this privately from time to time, but if I haven't posted it here...

Jimmy injured his back on the day off in Los Angeles after Albuquerque. He pressed on with their television performance in Burbank the following afternoon and then the decision was made to postpone and ultimately cancel all remaining dates. The reason why they didn't "just reschedule" is two fold. First, they would no longer have had the touring arrangement they had in place with The Who. Secondly, one of the conditions of the insurance underwriter's settlement of the claim was that Jimmy Page could not perform in public for at least six months. In point of fact, when he and his wife went to Fort Lauderdale at the end of the year he was still receiving physical therapy for his injured back. Consequently, all of the European dates for Nov/Dec were also cancelled.

That's the long and short of it. They had just come out of a mid-tour break of several weeks. If there was any fighting or what not the break would have been the time to pull the plug, not after traveling all the way from England to the west coast.

 

Will be interesting to see what Gorman says in his book. He said on Dean Delray's podcast a few years ago that Page offered to produce the next Crowes album but Rich Robinson declined. Then they ended up with Don Was. It's intriguing considering how Page-influenced their album "Lions" is. Particularly Cypress Tree which you can hear Rich playing in the soundcheck video on youtube.

You could tell Gorman loved playing with Page. He definitely is a Page-type drummer.

 

Edited by jmorton
Wrong podcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jmorton said:

Will be interesting to see what Gorman says in his book. He said on Dean Delray's podcast a few years ago that Page offered to produce the next Crowes album but Rich Robinson declined. Then they ended up with Don Was. It's intriguing considering how Page-influenced their album "Lions" is. Particularly Cypress Tree which you can hear Rich playing in the soundcheck video on youtube.

You could tell Gorman loved playing with Page. He definitely is a Page-type drummer.

I can see why Rich Robinson would decline, and that is because the ZoCrowes collaboration was a marriage of convenience. TBC had been dropped by their label and needed a showcase to get signed by another. Teaming with Jimmy accomplished that. However, to remain directly associated with him they'd run the risk of being perceived as Jimmy's hobby band. Bringing in Don Was to produce the next record affirms they and their new label were seeking nothing less than mainstream commercial success again and they wanted it as quickly as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Rich Robinson is an idiot because that would’ve been the first and only time Page used his Production abilities on any act he wasn’t a part of.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on a Page \ Crowes kick since I came across this thread a couple of weeks ago. I saw them three times (Worcester, Mansfield, and Camden.) I didn't realize until recently there is a soundboard of the Worcester show. I remastered it and then used it to replace the soundtrack of the audience video. Here's a brief sample. If anyone wants the full show, send me a message:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I've been on a Page \ Crowes kick since I came across this thread a couple of weeks ago. I saw them three times (Worcester, Mansfield, and Camden.) I didn't realize until recently there is a soundboard of the Worcester show. I remastered it and then used it to replace the soundtrack of the audience video. Here's a brief sample. If anyone wants the full show, send me a message:

 

Hi mate, if I could have separate links to both the video and audio files that would be terrific. Cheers bud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Page / Crows stuff musically - all the guitars available on stage (versus just Jimmy having to record the different guitar parts himself in the studio) creates a fantastic sound! However, while I like Chris Robinson's lyrics on Black Crows songs, he doesn't do the Zep stuff justice. You can't just stick any singer in there. Example, I think Ann Wilson is able to cover Zep fantastically, but I've heard her cover Who songs and it's terrible. Eddie Vedder can cover Who songs brilliantly though. I'm not a singer myself, but there must be something with pitch / timber / face shape, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

However, while I like Chris Robinson's lyrics on Black Crows songs, he doesn't do the Zep stuff justice.

Yep, completely agree. Musically, the versions of TYG and In the Light were absolute perfection. But his voice just doesn’t work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 8:47 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Yep, completely agree. Musically, the versions of TYG and In the Light were absolute perfection. But his voice just doesn’t work. 

A million times yes! TYG is my absolute favorite Zep song and it's not one they did live very often (or very well - see above, re: all of the guitars). I was SO EXCITED to hear the Crows with Page play it and then Chris Robinson opened his mouth! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

A million times yes! TYG is my absolute favorite Zep song and it's not one they did live very often (or very well - see above, re: all of the guitars). I was SO EXCITED to hear the Crows with Page play it and then Chris Robinson opened his mouth! 

TYG is Zep’s masterpiece in my opinion.  My favourite song ever. Period. The missus knows that when I cark it, it’s getting played at my funeral 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

TYG is Zep’s masterpiece in my opinion.  My favourite song ever. Period. The missus knows that when I cark it, it’s getting played at my funeral 😀

HAHAH, me too!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...