What Is It With All The Robert Complainers?

Okay, so I was on a Robert Plant & The Sensation Space Shifters video (

one to be exact) and there are SO MANY people complaining about how he "needs to be back in Zeppelin" or "butchering the songs". Now, I understand that people have a right now to like it and have a right to have that opinion, but honestly, who wants to hear it? Let the man play his damn songs in peace, he helped write them, and it's a lot better than just sitting around with an age old band rehashing the same stuff. They would of been running around in circles, constantly revisiting things had they gone on any longer, if you ask me (Led Zeppelin that is). Robert Plant is always playing new stuff, new styles, new musicians. Sure not all of the stuff is gonna be our taste, but if I don't like something, guess what, I don't go around complaining about it. I just, you know, ignore it. Sorry guys, just had to have a small rant here. Honestly, the guy has given us a lifetime of great music, from his whole catalog of official stuff to the countless bootlegs, there is enough stuff for ages to enjoy, you'll find something you like for sure. Don't focus on what you don't like, just go out there and find something you do. Okay, I'm stopping now.

one to be exact) and there are SO MANY people complaining about how he "needs to be back in Zeppelin" or "butchering the songs". Now, I understand that people have a right now to like it and have a right to have that opinion, but honestly, who wants to hear it? Let the man play his damn songs in peace, he helped write them, and it's a lot better than just sitting around with an age old band rehashing the same stuff. They would of been running around in circles, constantly revisiting things had they gone on any longer, if you ask me (Led Zeppelin that is). Robert Plant is always playing new stuff, new styles, new musicians. Sure not all of the stuff is gonna be our taste, but if I don't like something, guess what, I don't go around complaining about it. I just, you know, ignore it. Sorry guys, just had to have a small rant here. Honestly, the guy has given us a lifetime of great music, from his whole catalog of official stuff to the countless bootlegs, there is enough stuff for ages to enjoy, you'll find something you like for sure. Don't focus on what you don't like, just go out there and find something you do. Okay, I'm stopping now.

It's indicative of society in its present form. Way too many people who think the world should revolve around them. Especially in the USA. The entitlement mentality is very persuasive and getting worse all the time.

Its nothing new and oftentimes if you click on the name of the person complaining you will find the same person has gone to many other videos of his to do similar complaints. There are a great number of people who seem to have nothing better to do than to go around and gripe. I have no problems with someone truly disagreeing with the way his music is going, people are not made to agree all the time. However, it becomes more and more ridiculous when you see a person going and commenting on twenty plus videos all on the same day. Heaven help you if you read any of the comments about the people he sings with. There are some serious haters of Alison and Patty out there. At the same time, youtube is like facebook and all the others. You can comment however you want with relative anonymity so I would take the comments as worth what you paid for them :)

I am a Led Zeppelin fan. I also have all Roberts solo albums, but unfortunately I saw him in Liverpool in November 2010, with the Band of Joy. Frankly I was really disappointed, my wife (who is not a fan) thought it was good. Now I am the first one to kick off about people criticising the band members.......But it was one of the worst concerts I have attended, whether it was because it was such a small venue I don't know but I did not like the concert at all. I have been a Led Zeppelin fan since 1969, and I have seen them 3 times live, so I am not just moaning for the sake of it as I think that he and Peter Gabriel have the best male vocals I have ever heard. Sorry if this upsets some people.

I am a Led Zeppelin fan. I also have all Roberts solo albums, but unfortunately I saw him in Liverpool in November 2010, with the Band of Joy. Frankly I was really disappointed, my wife (who is not a fan) thought it was good. Now I am the first one to kick off about people criticising the band members.......But it was one of the worst concerts I have attended, whether it was because it was such a small venue I don't know but I did not like the concert at all. I have been a Led Zeppelin fan since 1969, and I have seen them 3 times live, so I am not just moaning for the sake of it as I think that he and Peter Gabriel have the best male vocals I have ever heard. Sorry if this upsets some people.

I understand, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. As long as you aren't going around proclaiming that they are horrible, end of discussion it is okay.

I certainly don't have a problem with your assessment. Like I said, it's not going to be everyone's thing and if you had a bad experience you have every right to say so. I just have issues with the people who go around actively seeking out videos or whatever to express the same sentiment over and over again. Glad your wife was able to enjoy the show at least.

I am a just registered newbie. I am so happy that there is a forum where I can talk about LZ with other people that love them as much as I do.

I would never really complain about Robert, however, he is getting on in years and it stands to reason that his voice is going to show some wear and tear. His creative ability is still going strong and I will gratefully listen to anything he puts out there.

There's only one thing I have ever been disappointed about with regards to Robert Plant.

The first time I saw him, back in 1983 at Maple Leaf Gardens (Toronto-$15 ticket stub still with me lol) was, that he came out in a jump suit (floods too) with tiny little slippers on. Fuck!....I remember anxiously awaiting to see one of my idols of all time and he looked like he should have had a pair of figure skates on (not that there is anything wrong with that)......

took me a while to look past that outfit, that night....i got over it.......concert was great!.........

When i eventually had me brief encounter with him many more years later it was the thrill of my entire life....will never forget it.......cheers y'all

There's only one thing I have ever been disappointed about with regards to Robert Plant.

The first time I saw him, back in 1983 at Maple Leaf Gardens (Toronto-$15 ticket stub still with me lol) was, that he came out in a jump suit (floods too) with tiny little slippers on. Fuck!....I remember anxiously awaiting to see one of my idols of all time and he looked like he should have had a pair of figure skates on (not that there is anything wrong with that)......

took me a while to look past that outfit, that night....i got over it.......concert was great!.........

Tooooo funny.

When i eventually had me brief encounter with him many more years later it was the thrill of my entire life....will never forget it.......cheers y'all

Ha ha! That's exactly what i thought when i saw RP on his first UK tour back in Dec '83! Apart from sporting (gasp!) short hair he was wearing what appeared to be a woman's blouse, arabic loon pants with elasticated bottoms and ali baba slippers with the curled up toes - he looked like a genie on a bad day! You could feel collective gasp of shock ripple through the audience when he came on! What the fuck is he wearing???

The rock god prancing and preening had all but gone and was replaced with mincing round the stage doing pirouettes and what appeared to be ballet moves! Then the heckling started! A rock legend heckled - omg!!! The music was greeted with easily the most muted audience reaction i have ever heard but fair play to him he was a real pro and began to win them over towards the end but it was hard work! Took a long time for hard core zep fans to accept he had moved on from the past.

Ha ha! That's exactly what i thought when i saw RP on his first UK tour back in Dec '83! Apart from sporting (gasp!) short hair he was wearing what appeared to be a woman's blouse, arabic loon pants with elasticated bottoms and ali baba slippers with the curled up toes - he looked like a genie on a bad day! You could feel collective gasp of shock ripple through the audience when he came on! What the fuck is he wearing???

The rock god prancing and preening had all but gone and was replaced with mincing round the stage doing pirouettes and what appeared to be ballet moves! Then the heckling started! A rock legend heckled - omg!!! The music was greeted with easily the most muted audience reaction i have ever heard but fair play to him he was a real pro and began to win them over towards the end but it was hard work! Took a long time for hard core zep fans to accept he had moved on from the past.

Are you sure that was the first tour? That sounds like the 1985 Shaken N Stirred tour to me, which was dreadful. We shlepped down to Birmingham to watch a pretty dire performance saved only by Richie Hayward's drumming.

I saw both nights of the first tour and it was just about passable . He slagged off the city he was playing in ( Manchester) not the best idea. He rambled on about how bad it was to play in the city which lead him to introduce the song " Worse than Detroit". When someone shouted "Stairway" his reaction was "Piss Off". Things didn't get any better the second night as he didn't even do a second encore, in fact he may have not even done a first one.

Are you sure that was the first tour? That sounds like the 1985 Shaken N Stirred tour to me, which was dreadful. We shlepped down to Birmingham to watch a pretty dire performance saved only by Richie Hayward's drumming.

I saw both nights of the first tour and it was just about passable . He slagged off the city he was playing in ( Manchester) not the best idea. He rambled on about how bad it was to play in the city which lead him to introduce the song " Worse than Detroit". When someone shouted "Stairway" his reaction was "Piss Off". Things didn't get any better the second night as he didn't even do a second encore, in fact he may have not even done a first one.

Yep first tour - I was at the same gig as you!!! Just dug out the used ticket stub - 10th Dec '83 Manchester Apollo which was the second night. I recall them starting with "In the Mood" which being slow tempo was a bizarre choice as the opening number! They did do at least one encore, but wound the crowd up by walking back onstage and then walking straight off again! He had the drummer from Jethro Tull (Barriemore Barlow) with him instead of Phil Collins who did the US Tour. I do however remember the reviews for the '85 NEC show you went to and they were bad! In fact I remember RP stating in an interview that it was at that gig he realised he needed to get back to his roots so sacked his band, grew his hair long again and recorded the more Zep-like Now and Zen album.

I don't know any haters. Some fans are rubbed that Percival seems to have enmity between his actions and his words. Personally I had feelings of betrayal when I saw the metro haircut and the Ali babba bs.

May hold some disappointment for his seeming insensitivity toward JPJ and JP, expectation is embrace and reciprocate. Feel let down sometimes.

Plant looked like he struggled mind sound body in his seat at KCH. Seeing Jason point at him and don a Bowler hat and then actually be on the receiving end of LZ music performed live- seated between band mates . Damn.

No place to hide.

Yep first tour - I was at the same gig as you!!! Just dug out the used ticket stub - 10th Dec '83 Manchester Apollo which was the second night. I recall them starting with "In the Mood" which being slow tempo was a bizarre choice as the opening number! They did do at least one encore, but wound the crowd up by walking back onstage and then walking straight off again! He had the drummer from Jethro Tull (Barriemore Barlow) with him instead of Phil Collins who did the US Tour. I do however remember the reviews for the '85 NEC show you went to and they were bad! In fact I remember RP stating in an interview that it was at that gig he realised he needed to get back to his roots so sacked his band, grew his hair long again and recorded the more Zep-like Now and Zen album.

Yeah you are correct. He did walk and off much to the anger of some people, me included. I have a full tape of the first show. Maybe I'll one day convert it and hear exactly how the muted response was.

Chill,

Those are some of Robert’s more classy moments, at least he didn’t turn his back to the crowd, tell the audience to be quiet and pay more attention to the music and at the end of the gig walk off without waving or saying thank you for spending money on tickets…

Archived