Jimmy Page named best guitarist ever.

RTHB

In some points I agree with you. Here are my corrections to yours.

4) Eddie Van (66) - My pick for most overrated guitarist of all-time! He is not overrated. Most influential player in rock music since Hendrix.

8) Ritchie Blackmore (63) - Top 10? Maybe He had the same influence like Jimmy.

22) James Burton (59) - Not top 22! He was Jimmy's hero and and early rockabilly guitar player who had an great influence on many players.

41) Chet Atkins (55) - not top 50 Are you kidding? Chet was the most influential guitar player in the last century! His greatness is undeniable and his skills amazing! He could play nearly every style. For me abolute #1 in all time greatest list

47) Randy Rhoads (53) - I'm not a fan. Not top 50! Randy was one of a kind and maybe the most influential player in the metal genre.

49) Steve Morse (52) - Not top 50 In a technical way, one of the best players. He has not the best feeling though.

To be honest, Jimmy was and is one of the most influential players in rock history. But not in guitar in general! Altough I'm a huge fan of Jimmy, I think he is a little overrated. His technical skills are very limited. There are so many great players out there. And Jimmy's influential time was from the 60s up to 1980. Afterwards he did nothing special.

Yes, Joe Bonamassa belongs on this list! I can't believe I forgot Bonamassa as well.

Lesslie West

Billy Corgan - Smashing Pumpkins

Kim Thayil - Soundgarden

Johnny Winter

Paul Kossoff - Free

Trey Anastacio - Phish *Trey is one of the very best in my lifetime!

Jack White - Incredible player. He gets "IT"

Billy Gibbons

Stone Gossard

Steve Howe

Josh Homme

Ronnie Montrose

Ted Nugent - definitely a top 50 player!

Vernon Reid

Uli Jon Roth - underrated!

Pat Travers

If you had researched Page you'd know he's not overrated.

Don't tell me I have to research Page. Over the last maybe ten years I have listend to hundreds of bootlegs, studio sessions, outtakes, official stuff and every video that is on youtube and on DVD. Page was influential in the sixties and early seventies. Afterwards nothing special! For me he is the most influential guitar player in rock music (and my favourite), but not the best player. And of course not the most versatile player.

Don't tell me I have to research Page. Over the last maybe ten years I have listend to hundreds of bootlegs, studio sessions, outtakes, official stuff and every video that is on youtube and on DVD. Page was influential in the sixties and early seventies. Afterwards nothing special! For me he is the most influential guitar player in rock music (and my favourite), but not the best player. And of course not the most versatile player.

I don't know enough about guitar playing to have an informed opinion on this topic. However, I will offer the observation that people often confuse or conflate the words "most influential" and "greatest". A person can be the former without being the latter. Marilyn Monroe is a good example of this phenomenon. An iconic movie star who influenced many young film actresses in her era including Mamie Van Dorn and Jane Mansfield. But the best actress of her era? No.

How many guitarists can you name that are more versatile than Page?

How many guitarists can you name that are more versatile than Page?

Let me think.... I don't now the number of players, but there are many.

I think you don't understand me. I like Jimmy! But the longer I play the guitar myself, the more players I discover which are so much better.

Guitar playing is no competition. So this discussion will lead to nothing!

I think if you total up his originality, influence, range of styles, and technical ability there are few in the same league. Are there players that rank higher individual categories? Probably, but I don't see many above him in any category other than technical ability and alot of those are completely devoid of other attributes.

Some pretty questionable statements so far.

Bonnamassa- amazing player no doubt, but not influential, original or multi dimensional. He's good enough to crack a top 100, but doubt he could ever be considered in the top echelon.

Mike McCready-PJ is one of my top 3 bands of all time, with Zep and Floyd, and I don't think he cracks the list. Not original, hardly influential and if I was gonna give the nod to a guitar player in PJ it'd be Stone Gossard by a wide margin.

Duane Allman at 20 seems a little low. More like top 15 easy and if he had a bit more material to go by probably top 5.

SRV at 26 makes me gag. He amazing!!

Slash is the most overrated guitarist EVER!!!! He was fast and had a great sound, but has never been that creative and his solo material highlights how much he leans on bandmates for quality material.

I get why Kirk Hammett is on the list, but to me he's so one dimensional and he's got about the most annoying tone I've ever heard. When I think about Metallica's music, he feels more like a hired gun, with Hetfield and Ulrich driving the bus. Hetfield deserves the spot more than Hammett to me. What a magical right hand.

To be honest, Jimmy was and is one of the most influential players in rock history. But not in guitar in general! Altough I'm a huge fan of Jimmy, I think he is a little overrated. His technical skills are very limited. There are so many great players out there. And Jimmy's influential time was from the 60s up to 1980. Afterwards he did nothing special.

Go listen to Coverdale Page with a set of head phones on, you can clearly hear that Page continued to be the best long after Zeppelin had closed shop

I think if you total up his originality, influence, range of styles, and technical ability there are few in the same league. Are there players that rank higher individual categories? Probably, but I don't see many above him in any category other than technical ability and alot of those are completely devoid of other attributes.

Some pretty questionable statements so far.

Bonnamassa- amazing player no doubt, but not influential, original or multi dimensional. He's good enough to crack a top 100, but doubt he could ever be considered in the top echelon.

Mike McCready-PJ is one of my top 3 bands of all time, with Zep and Floyd, and I don't think he cracks the list. Not original, hardly influential and if I was gonna give the nod to a guitar player in PJ it'd be Stone Gossard by a wide margin.

Duane Allman at 20 seems a little low. More like top 15 easy and if he had a bit more material to go by probably top 5.

SRV at 26 makes me gag. He amazing!!

Slash is the most overrated guitarist EVER!!!! He was fast and had a great sound, but has never been that creative and his solo material highlights how much he leans on bandmates for quality material.

I get why Kirk Hammett is on the list, but to me he's so one dimensional and he's got about the most annoying tone I've ever heard. When I think about Metallica's music, he feels more like a hired gun, with Hetfield and Ulrich driving the bus. Hetfield deserves the spot more than Hammett to me. What a magical right hand.

Your way off in regards to Bonamassa.

McCready is head and shoulders better than Gossard.

And your delusional if you believe Hammett is one dimensional. Hetfield is an average rhythm guitar player at best.

And anyone that claims thre are "many" that are more versatile than Page should have their head and ears examined!

Ok, seems to me you won't understand me. It's your oppinion. I guess you don't play guitar yourself?

Please tell me what genres does he play other than rock/blues and maybe a little folk? Now don't tell me hard rock ;-)

Your way off in regards to Bonamassa.

McCready is head and shoulders better than Gossard.

And your delusional if you believe Hammett is one dimensional. Hetfield is an average rhythm guitar player at best.

Not judging by anything I've heard from him. Haven't heard him do anything other than virtuosic blues.

Technically for sure, but Stone has a much more unique sound and is the driving force to all those great early PJ records, and a much better writer overall.

Maybe one dimensional isn't the right word, but it's mostly weedily-weedily-weedily and a little wah. He's got some stuff from Metallica's middle period that adds a little to his overall range, but he doesn't seem to be recognized for that a whole lot. Also, he adds virtually nothing to their songwriting and had no impact on their sound when he joined the band.

Hetfield, average rhythm guitarist? And you call me delusional? He's hailed across the board as having one of the best right hands in the history of music.

Ok, seems to me you won't understand me. It's your oppinion. I guess you don't play guitar yourself?

Please tell me what genres does he play other than rock/blues and maybe a little folk? Now don't tell me hard rock ;-)

There's alot of gray area here, since so many guitars styles in popular music overlap, but I think his range comes more in the techniques he uses than venturing off head deep into other styles. His ability to play acoustic, electric, slide, in open tunings and any genre that's ever been tied to rock in any way is a pretty broad palette of sounds relative to just about any guitarist that's gonna be on these lists.

I play guitar myself and most other bands I've learned alot of tunes from it's the same tunings, the same amp settings, same overall approach. With Zeppelin's catalog there's alot more to consider from song to song, and that's usually just trying to cop to live stuff.

Archived