Fruit or Veg you Don't Like

Old Shep

The spirit I took your post in was that you mainly meant what veggies and fruit we didn't like on their own, eaten fresh or simply steamed or sauteed.

So when I say I like carrots, I'm not talking just carrot cake, but that I like to eat fresh, raw carrots.

Hell, you can mask just about anything if you know how to cook. I dare say I could get LZG to eat mushrooms and like them without her even knowing.

Anyway, in both LZG and Old Shep's honour, for lunch today I had cream of mushroom soup and a beet salad. :D

Strider, you sound very sneaky. And since I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, I bet you could fool me.

Actually, I like cream of mushroom. It's raw, sauteed mushrooms I can't stand. If they are on a pizza, I fling them to the trash can where they belong. Ha...ha.

And beets? We won't go there. :)

After some hard thought again about this:

Olives - I have an on/off affair about these dainties. In Spain we had some fat green ones, in olive oil infused with Rosemary. Historic ! But alas after much searching I have never found any to match these. I have tried and tried to love them but alas i have concluded that i do not like them.

I agree with Reggie. Salt. One of Mrs CP's friends puts this shite on EVERYTHING. Present her with a dippy egg and on goes an ocean of salt. I don't get it myself. Of course whilst cooking some things need seasoning. I never use it for green veg which I steam. Mashed spuds needs it but why on earth people heap it on - especially when they have even tasted the food in front on them, is beyond me.

:o

Very surprised by this CP. But maybe it's due to location location location. I can guarantee that you'd find plenty of delicious uses for avocados if you lived here in California.

The veggies I don't like are hominy and cauliflower. Not a big fan of lima beans or garbanzo beans, either.

As for fruit...I've tried and tried to think of a fruit I don't like but I cannot think of one. The best I can do is say that if I were to rank all the fruits in order of preference, grapefruit would probably finish last. But I don't hate grapefruit.

What can I say...I love all fruits! But then, they always say us Californians are fruity.

The only one I like:

post-4226-0-92206200-1357642118.jpg

Brussel sprouts and eggplant are the only 2 vegies that I don't like.

Hey Puffer ........ you'll lose your honary Aussie citizenship if you don't change your mind about avo's .... tsk tsk ;)

Thanks WC. I will try again on the avo. I mean it took a while for the egg from the duck to have the desired effect ;)

I never knew they were a winter-only crop, although thinking about it I've never really noticed them at other times. Then again, I've never really looked for them.

But I particularly enjoyed them this year, so I might get some more in for the weekend roast. Just naked sprouts this time, no fancy stuff.

The trouble I have with steaming is I always forget about things, and they end up getting overdone.

This year I boiled them for about 2mins (cut into halves) and then stir-fried them with the chestnuts & pre-fried chorizo for another minute or two.

Only really a winter crop. My idea of winter bliss: Brisket of beef pot roasted, roast spuds and parsnips, sprouts and a good gravy. Lashings of English mustard for her and horseradish for me :thumbsup:

That's a nice meal alright CP. My Christmas meal was organic standing rib scalloped spuds with parmesan cheese and shaved sweet onions and grilled asparagus. [or spear grass as we call 'em so my 3 year old boy will eat them]

Checked that one Babs. Very tasty organic rib - fantastic. How many ribs were on the piece? And asparagus - oh my. English asparagus is considered to be the finest in the world. Only available in April/May it is so good the CP's can seriously eat it every day. At this time of year we get Peru imports and it's just a little bitter for our taste. As soon as them Britneys appear we go crazy - so to speak. Have you tried white asparagus?

It was 2 ribs. about 5 lbs. a nice size as my wife is a vegitarian and just me and my brother were partaking. As an aside, I braised the ribs the next morning and stood over the sink chowing down my prize. It's getting hard to find asparagus now which is too bad as it's on my top five. I've never had the white ones but have seen them around. I'll give 'em a try next time.

That roast cost me almost 80 dollars.Yikes!

^^^

White Asparagus is divine...always look forward to when it appears at the farmers markets.

Don't understand all the hate for sprouts. Maybe all your Mummies over-cooked them for you? The are fine al dente.

Also, they should be cut in half before cooking. Or even quartered.

Right you are, Shep old boy! Here's our brussels sprouts from Christmas dinner:

post-1470-0-26062200-1357662975_thumb.jp

Yes white asparagus is fab - especially dipped in a Hollandaise Sauce - which can be a bastard to make.We often grill asparagus with grated paremsan or wrapped in Iberico Ham. Of course to the unintiated the smell in the piss can be a bit of a worry but I always think maybe it's the toxins in my organs being flushed by this incredible legume

I assume Bok Choi is the same as Pak Choi? Love that too especially with Duck. I love a duck breast dusted with chinese 5 spice or just served in oyster sauce

I have a huuuuuuge list. People call me "picky" but these are just gross.

Zucchini

Squash

Eggplant

Radishes

Turnips

Avocado

Mushrooms

Cauliflower

Brussel Sprouts

Beets

Asparagus

Okra

Parsnips

Raw Celery

Certain Onions

Certain Peppers

Okay I'll stop now...I like pretty much all fruits except mangoes and papayas

I have a huuuuuuge list. People call me "picky" but these are just gross.

Zucchini

Squash

Eggplant

Radishes

Turnips

Avocado

Mushrooms

Cauliflower

Brussel Sprouts

Beets

Asparagus

Okra

Parsnips

Raw Celery

Certain Onions

Certain Peppers

Okay I'll stop now...I like pretty much all fruits except mangoes and papayas

There's a lot of things on your list that I don't like. It's okay to be picky.

Archived