Jan 7, 2013 David Bowie celebrates his 66th Birthday with the release of his first single in a decade

weslgarlic

While it is wonderful to hear that Bowie has recorded again at last, I don't think this dreary affair is a suitable song to herald his comeback, if in fact that's what it augurs. He really ought to have bounced back with a stompin' rocker all about transsexuals, instead of a dirge that will probably only appeal to Berliners.

That video's a shocker too. For me, the double-headed creature evoked unwelcome images of the pervy Bear out of Bo Selecta, after being modified by Joseph Mengele. I kept expecting a frankfurter to pop up from one or both of the groin areas. Very strange.

btw I believe the root of your window problem is that you are somehow posting the httpS prefix. The S should not be there. Just http.

That video's a shocker too. For me, the double-headed creature evoked unwelcome images of the pervy Bear out of Bo Selecta, after being modified by Joseph Mengele. I kept expecting a frankfurter to pop up from one or both of the groin areas. Very strange.

Showing my age here (again), but I thought of "The Thing with Two Heads" starring Rosey Greer and Ray Milland.

Are people in the UK excited about this, is Bowie still revered and adored there?

His profile is lower these days, but I suppose he's still revered & adored by anyone who ever did.

Personally, I can't say I've been overly keen on any of his albums since ...Hours, but I will never abandon him because he's the greatest musical talent of my lifetime.

Showing my age here (again), but I thought of "The Thing with Two Heads" starring Rosey Greer and Ray Milland.

OMG!...I remember seeing this movie when I was a kid...freaky for sure.....I think I recall the far away camer shots were really funny cause one guy was running around with a manequin head attached to him...Can you imagine these two guys having to film a movie like this.....Cheek to cheek.......Kinnear and Damon did it later but they were joined at the hip if I recal. Thanks for the blast from the past Fire-O!

David Bowie has released a new single, Where Are We Now?, on his 66th birthday and his first album in 10 years will be released in March. Photograph: Antonia Hille/Getty

David Bowie has celebrated his 66th birthday by releasing a new single, Where Are We Now?, ahead of his first new album in 10 years.

The track was put on sale in the iTunes store in 119 countries on Tuesday morning and a video preview posted on his website, which has been relaunched for the occasion. His 30th studio recording, The Next Day, would be released in March, said the Iso/Columbia record company.The glam-rock singer shot to fame in the late 60s with Space Oddity but has been largely silent in recent years, not performing live since 2006 and rarely appearing in public since then. Bowie turned down the opportunity to appear at the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony despite a personal plea by director Danny Boyle.

"Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130m, not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary," said a Columbia press release.

The record, produced by long-term collaborator Tony Visconti and written by Bowie, was recorded in New York, Columbia said. The single is accompanied by a video directed by Tony Oursler that harks back to Bowie's time in Berlin. He is seen looking in on footage of the auto repair shop beneath the apartment he lived in along with stark images of the city at the time.

The spokesman added that Bowie was the sort of artist who "writes and performs what he wants when he wants".

Visconti Says David Bowie Releasing Real Rock Album

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/category/news/

David Bowie producer Tony Visconti says surprise album The Next Day is a real rock record, despite the slow, introverted nature of first single Where Are We Now?

The icon astonished fans by releasing the new track and details of the full-length work on his 66th birthday yesterday. Many believed he'd retired from making music. It had also been rumoured that his health was failing after he suffered a heart attack in 2004, then ended public appearances two years later.

But Visconti, who's now worked with Bowie on 13 releases, tells the BBC: "We all know he had a health scare in 2004. But David is extremely healthy. He's rosy-cheeked, he smiles a lot.

"He still has that power in his voice – when he starts singing I have to back off and leave him in front of a microphone."

David Bowie has no intention of playing live ever again despite the imminent release of surprise album The Next Day, says his producer.

Bowie regularly emphasised the point during recording sessions, Tony Visconti reports.

The influential musician astonished the world with the launch of new single Where Are We Now? on his 66th birthday, along with news of the album launch in March.

Last week guitarist Earl Slick admitted he hoped tour dates might be on the cards – but Visconti says Bowie has all but ruled it out.

He tells NME: “He’s fairly adamant he’s never gonna perform live again. One of the guys would say, ‘Boy, how are we gonna do all this live?’ and David said, ‘We’re not’. He made a point of saying that all the time.”

Where Are We Now? was quietly made available on iTunes at midnight on January 8, without any kind of announcement or press release.

Last week Visconti said the single wasn’t representative of the full-length record, describing other tracks as “real rock.” He also shouted down long-standing rumours that Bowie’s health was failing.

Now he tells The Hollywood Reporter: “We had to sign non-disclosure agreements – but that wasn’t necessary. We love David so much. Everyone in the project, except for a few, were old-timers; people who’d made albums or toured with him.

“We didn’t tweet it, put it on Facebook or even tell our best friend. That was the hardest part: people close to me wanted to know what I was working on and I couldn’t tell them.

“I knew if I told one of them, somebody would leak it and it would be all over the world in a day. I didn’t even tell my children what I was doing.”

Bowie decided on the birthday launch strategy several months ago, says Visconti. “The countdown was unbearable. When it was finally released I stared at my computer for 15 minutes until the first person realised it was simply dropped in iTunes.”

The producer says some tracks on The Next Day might be at home on classic album Scary Monsters, while others match the feeling of Heathen.

And he hopes Bowie’s work might shake up the current music environment, which he describes as unimpressive.

“It all sounds like it was made by the same person – it’s very computerised,” he argues. “There’s a style and a sound in all these modern records where they’re interchangeable. It could be the same production crew, it could be the same singer. Everybody is AutoTuned to death and the songs are very flimsy. It all relies on beats rather than quality lyrics.

“These days, if a kid gets a new laptop and there’s GarageBand on it, within five minutes they sound like somebody on the radio. This can’t be good – it’s either the radio is bland or people have lower expectations.”

Like Slick, Visconti admits the decision to lead the album with Where Are We Now? surprised him.

But he says: “I should know better. Bowie is never traditional; he always breaks the rules.

“I think he understood immediately – before I even did – that people had to deal with the shock that he was back. That in itself is news breaking. So he was easing people in with a slow ballad.

“I’m just theorising here, but it’s very nostalgic about the Berlin period; especially in the video, where there are some vintage shots of Berlin in the 70s.

“It made me almost cry – I did weep, actually, I’ll confess. The first time I saw it, I got so choked up because I had been in those places with him.

“But it’s more about being at a certain place in your life, where everything was really good and happening. I think that evokes nostalgic feelings in people. That’s definitely the theme of the video, having so much vintage footage in it.”

So it seems David Bowie might play some shows after all. Having previously suggested the singer would be staying at home once new album The Next Day is released, Tony Visconti has now indicated some one off dates are possible. "He says that he will only play if he feels like it, but no tour. Like, if wanted to do the odd show in New York or, I don't know, London, he would if he felt like it," explained the producer. "And he made that very clear to the label that he wasn't going to tour or do any kind of ridiculously long album promotion. It was his idea to just drop it at midnight on his birthday and just let things avalanche."

Rollingstone.com

His profile is lower these days, but I suppose he's still revered & adored by anyone who ever did.

Personally, I can't say I've been overly keen on any of his albums since ...Hours, but I will never abandon him because he's the greatest musical talent of my lifetime.

Really?

"Because he's the greatest musical talent of my lifetime".

I highly disagree with your statement, I could name at least 20 other musical talents that are way better and more influential than David Bowie, but I do respect your devotion to the man. Me, personally, I only like a handful of his songs. "Let's Dance" and "China Girl" are the two that come to my mind instantly.

• 2 months later...

Really?

"Because he's the greatest musical talent of my lifetime".

I highly disagree with your statement, I could name at least 20 other musical talents that are way better and more influential than David Bowie, but I do respect your devotion to the man. Me, personally, I only like a handful of his songs. "Let's Dance" and "China Girl" are the two that come to my mind instantly.

Those two songs are among the poppiest he ever made.

Try some of his pre eighties stuff like the Ziggy Stardust album, and songs like Station to station and Hello spaceboy.

I’m not sure that Bowie is of sound mind to be honest, he waits a decade to put out an album, and clearly he should understand that a great deal of expectation exists and he puts out sleepy music for his lead off single…Not smart…And for the record, I listened to the song with old fashion headphones from 1989, not watched it on YouTube. And even after repeated listens some 2 months later I still think Bowie made a HUGE mistake releasing that as a lead off single.

I’m really convinced that sometimes some of these musicians need to think back to when they were a kid or getting into the business and ask themselves, would I have liked this piece of music 30 years ago? If not, save it as an album track NOT a single…Dumb, dumb!

Charles:

I agree...I think the tune,Where Are We Now sounds like a dirge...David's voice sounds like he's on his last breath and/or he's about to cry? The picture of him inside the cd looks like he's just got bad news......

The Stars Are Out Tonight is upbeat...In the video he's wearing a sweater that resembles the kind of sweater my 85 yr. old father wore...there's nothing wrong with that...I like the fact that the female who plays his partner is obviously middle age...The Next Day, the first tune, has an edge that's interesting....and it is also upbeat...

I digress but when I bought The Next Day I also bought Justin Timberlake's 20 20...there are slow tunes in this cd also...but not as melancholy as Where Are We Now....

Archived