Are Rival Sons the new Led Zeppelin

McSeven

I have been listening to these guys for a year or so. Even the way they got together is very Zeppelin like. Instead of the Singer getting the drummer into the band. The Drummer got the Singer into the band.

The bassist is into Motown/James Brown Soul grove.

Of course they have their own style. I was wondering if anyone on the board has heard them or seen them live? I have and they great. I really think this band more than anyone will emulate LZ for this generation, yet they have their own style. Their latest album Head Down is kind of like Led Zep 2 and 4.

Anyways. What do you all think?

A lot of bands get compared to Zeppelin these days: as an example take Wolfmother, which two years ago was billed as the new Led Zeppelin. Wolfmother has since gone through several lineup changes and kept a very low profile during most of 2012. They are releasing a new album this year so probably they'll regain the attention of the media. The point I'm trying to make is that Rival Sons, Wolfmother, are bands staying only temporarily in the collective memory, until the next big act arises.

Wolfmother and Rival Sons share something in common, and that is their Zeppelin affinity, by this I mean they have good rapports with members of Zeppelin. As an example take Jimmy Page who attended a Rival Sons concert last September, or John Paul Jones sharing the stage with Wolfmother last April in Australia. All this speaks of what I call a Zeppelin affinity which doesn't exist among other bands like Titus Andronicus for example.

I'm sure there's good "new" music outthere but Led Zeppelin were a truly unique band that existed during an specific timeframe with a combination of historical circumstances never to be repeated.

No, and everything I've heard from them is pretty boring riff rock. Zeppelin was never boring and alot more than heavy riffs. There are alot of bands out there that share the same generic description of Zeppelin, but very few sound truly like them.

Yeah... I've been keeping an eye out on many new bands lately... but Rival Sons seem to be a stand out band...

The vocalist has a very vintage-wrigley's-spermint-kinda Paul Rodgers\Bonamassa kinda voice with bits of Plant and Dio tones and overtones every here and there...

The musicians are very good, all sections: rythm and guitar....top notch musicanship.

They've got the groove and they've got the vibe...

Wolfmother's first album was great but honestly by the end of the album and further on the second album the vocalist starts to become annoying, man...there is absolutely no diversity no depth...That's one of the virtues Zeppelin and Beatles possesed... They would NEVER make the same song twice let alone an album...They would always push the boundaries further, experiment, explore, create new patterns, new ganres and excel in them...

Yet again, there is The Answere, a band I had high hopes for...But alas... out of all the Answeres, Wolfmothers, Airbournes, Tracers etc... I guess Rival Sons' Head Down got me by the balls...I mean the album is pretty epic and diverse, there is a pop song, there is a head banger, there are ballads and instrumentals, and there is an EPIC Kashmir-like Manifest Destiny that has a fucking monster killer RIFF that pumpkin-pops your skull to pieces!

I've checked their previous releases, but Head Down in my opinion is their best effort yet... I really hope they can still grow and move further from that though...

had to listen again, the riff is the first couple of notes of "Out on The Tiles"...i knew i knew it,....... but they have taken it and done something new....I know another band like that lol.....what comes around goes around.....I'm gonna grab their 8-track.

had to listen again, the riff is the first couple of notes of "Out on The Tiles"...i knew i knew it,....... but they have taken it and done something new....I know another band like that lol.....what comes around goes around.....I'm gonna grab their 8-track.

Exactly, but they are good, but still far from Zeppelin!

Exactly, but they are good, but still far from Zeppelin!

...well, I don't want them to be Zeppelin but if they steal a little and make it their own, with some new energy of their own, then I am ok with that. i gotta check out more stuff..I'd love to possibly follow a new band like this. It would be fun....peace

I just listened to few of their songs and I liked it. I would rather not really compare them to allmighty zep (that could end bad lol), but they ARE great. I really like the singer, hes good, has the Feeling and the Voice. Great. Second best, I like the guitarist who has it, plays well and has great ideas. IMO, the drummer could use bigger set. Dont get me wrong, I like small drum sets, cos having 1000000 drums around and cannot play a single one of them is just stupid. The less the better, but in this case, I would guess some more things to hit would help him and the music. Just my opinion... but HE, he is GREAT. Last, but not least, bass. I play bass myself, and I have to say I dont really like their bassist. And again, dont get me wrong on this... he is great bassist, he is far far far better then I am or I will ever be... but I dont like the style he plays. It doesnt really fit the rest of the band imo. I also dont like the sound he uses. Its not 100% everywhere, but sometimes, sometimes I would just love to hear something slightly different to better connect drums and guitar there and make the band sound more tight. Something bass HAS TO do.

But again, I need more listening to them, which I am going to do for sure. I really like their music.

Ok, going to youtube again, cheers :).

They do have a similar style to Zeppelin. If you like that type of amped up Blues. Then Rival Sons is the ticket. Head Down is a masterpiece. I feel like Wolfmother is more like Black Sabbath. One thing that WM does not do that RS does is that WM is more about groove than guitar solos. So if both bands make it and are here for the next 20 yrs. WM is Black Sabbath and RS is Led Zeppelin as to who they would be compared to.

They do have a similar style to Zeppelin. If you like that type of amped up Blues. Then Rival Sons is the ticket. Head Down is a masterpiece. I feel like Wolfmother is more like Black Sabbath. One thing that WM does not do that RS does is that WM is more about groove than guitar solos. So if both bands make it and are here for the next 20 yrs. WM is Black Sabbath and RS is Led Zeppelin as to who they would be compared to.

Get yourself the album "Capricorn" by Orchid if you wanna hear the most Sabbath-ish band since Sabbath.

Get yourself the album "Capricorn" by Orchid if you wanna hear the most Sabbath-ish band since Sabbath.

I have it. Nice band btw, but the album seemed a little bit too Sabbath...They literally rip-off their every idea... :-\

I have been listening to these guys for a year or so. Even the way they got together is very Zeppelin like. Instead of the Singer getting the drummer into the band. The Drummer got the Singer into the band.

The bassist is into Motown/James Brown Soul grove.

Of course they have their own style. I was wondering if anyone on the board has heard them or seen them live? I have and they great. I really think this band more than anyone will emulate LZ for this generation, yet they have their own style. Their latest album Head Down is kind of like Led Zep 2 and 4.

Anyways. What do you all think?

you're thread got jacked, but I learned enough, thanks for tip on the band.....cheers

I do not mean to sound patronizing, but I think You should have given your topic title a little more thought.

Are Rival Sons the new Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin. There will never be another Band like Led Zeppelin EVER. Of course there will always be pretenders and imitators and bands that might try and capture the Mystique that was Led Zeppelin, but, that is all they will accomplish. Any new (or) old(er) band that sounds like Led Zeppelin will Never be the new Led Zeppelin.

Aside from the Timeless Music that They created over a 12 year span, I believe that Led Zeppelin was/is a Once in a Lifetime cohesion of four individuals that came together at a Time that was absolutely Right for Them and the Times They Ruled. I personally believe that in the way distant future, Their Music will continue to stand the test of Time and be more revered than the music of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

There will Never be another Band like Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin.

I do not mean to sound patronizing, but I think You should have given your topic title a little more thought.

Are Rival Sons the new Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin. There will never be another Band like Led Zeppelin EVER. Of course there will always be pretenders and imitators and bands that might try and capture the Mystique that was Led Zeppelin, but, that is all they will accomplish. Any new (or) old(er) band that sounds like Led Zeppelin will Never be the new Led Zeppelin.

Aside from the Timeless Music that They created over a 12 year span, I believe that Led Zeppelin was/is a Once in a Lifetime cohesion of four individuals that came together at a Time that was absolutely Right for Them and the Times They Ruled. I personally believe that in the way distant future, Their Music will continue to stand the test of Time and be more revered than the music of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

There will Never be another Band like Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin.

:bravo: Hail to the King!

I became a fan of this band towards the end of 2012, thanks to Jimmy (when I read somewhere on this forum that he had attended one of their UK gigs). If somebody were to ask me whether Rival Sons could be the new Led Zeppelin, my answer would be : I truly hope not! I believe all this comparison to Led Zeppelin could possibly hurt this band in the long run. Honestly, I really don't want anything like that to happen, because this is one of the recent bands I am rooting for and really keeping an eye on! Besides, if you think about it, I don't think Led Zeppelin (during their hey day) were ever compared to the Stones or to the Beatles. In fact, I think they were a far cry from bands like those. That's what made Zeppelin special. Their uniqueness. Rival Sons may have riffs which do resemble Led Zeppelin, but if someone were to ask me who Rival Sons sounds like, my answer (I honestly hope) would be Rival Sons! :)

Archived