Are Rival Sons the new Led Zeppelin

McSeven

I agree for the most part, but I really feel The Tea Party is the only band over a number of albums who have had the same sort of musical journey that Zeppelin had, not just the heavy stuff, but all of it, Arab, folk, acoustic and so on.

A lot of bands get compared to Zeppelin these days: as an example take Wolfmother, which two years ago was billed as the new Led Zeppelin. Wolfmother has since gone through several lineup changes and kept a very low profile during most of 2012. They are releasing a new album this year so probably they'll regain the attention of the media. The point I'm trying to make is that Rival Sons, Wolfmother, are bands staying only temporarily in the collective memory, until the next big act arises.

Wolfmother and Rival Sons share something in common, and that is their Zeppelin affinity, by this I mean they have good rapports with members of Zeppelin. As an example take Jimmy Page who attended a Rival Sons concert last September, or John Paul Jones sharing the stage with Wolfmother last April in Australia. All this speaks of what I call a Zeppelin affinity which doesn't exist among other bands like Titus Andronicus for example.

I'm sure there's good "new" music outthere but Led Zeppelin were a truly unique band that existed during an specific timeframe with a combination of historical circumstances never to be repeated.

• 3 months later...

The Tea Party are a pretentious bore. I've been teased for years with all the exotic tunings and instruments all being for naught.... with no good songwriting and no swing!

The Tea Party are a pretentious bore. I've been teased for years with all the exotic tunings and instruments all being for naught.... with no good songwriting and no swing!

Funny how opinions vary. To me they are the best thing I've heard in a long time

This swings...

So "Shake my Tree"/"Over Now"without the balls. It's SOOO derivative.... JM in Jimmy's dragon suit... but he's a fatso. Sorry... he tricked me with Interzone Mantras and I haven't recovered. I actually REALLY respect Jeff Burrows (the drummer).

So "Shake my Tree"/"Over Now"without the balls. It's SOOO derivative.... JM in Jimmy's dragon suit... but he's a fatso. Sorry... he tricked me with Interzone Mantras and I haven't recovered. I actually REALLY respect Jeff Burrows (the drummer).

I fould the Coverdale/Page album to be overtly histrionic and derivative. Didn't stop me liking some of it, though. I think what you are saying is it's ok if Jimmy is derivitive (of essentially himself) that's ok, it's good derivative, but if someone other than Jimmy is derivative of him then that's bad derivative. A sound argument. Again this is just an apples and oranges circular argument? (or perhaps pink lady apples and cox apples) It's my own fault for "necroing" this thread.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I`m a new fan to this band Rival Sons. Are they the new Zeppelin for me the jury is out. We have been here before Wolfmother spring`s to mind. Rival Sons do have the bluesy rock sound. cool vocalist also a new album due out soon. with a new bass player. let hope its as hot as heads up....

Archived