What are yer thoughts on JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore" (in 1977)?

Nutrocker

JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore"  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of them?

• I like 'em!
    • I don't like them, but I can live with them.
    • Can't stand 'em!
    • They should have got somebody else...

are you kidding?

it would sound better.

Oh....nevermind :wall:

Why of course it would Slave..Jeez....and so would an orchestra, a rhythm guitar player and 3 professional back-up singers too.....But is that Led Zeppelin???

Nope, that's Roger Waters.... :P

See post #22 again...and again if you have too. It's all there.

Led Zeppelin's music wasn't based on "vocal harmonizing" to begin with , aside from Plant overdubbing his own vocals in the studio-or the effects he used onstage. Still in all, they were not that kind of band. I used many other artist as examples that ARE and more recognizable for that sole reason. Again, they recorded one song with a female vocalist.....

Now, if someone was to do an occasional guest appearance and do Battle (live) I could see it. Like Keith Moon did on "Moby Dick", or Mick Ralphs on "It'll be Me". But not bringing in someone to tour for one song, the whole or half the set....I'm sure they could have very well did that, but it's not their style, their DNA or the way they liked to work.

I can't express this any clearer, But yes Slave, it would have "sounded" better.

I like the 77 versions w john paul jones singing a low key vocal, its a novelty song in zeppelin's live history. Plant carries the song with the great lyrics and it seems like they had fun playing it. With the harmonizer, one has to imagine and hope that it sounded cosmic in the venue that night. Plant varies the volume of his singing and the echo/ad lib vocals on the, bring it back, section is so cool. even though the technology of the day is apparent, it still sounds good to me.

There are some great versions of this song by plant and alison krauss on youtube as well.

Led Zeppelin's music wasn't based on "vocal harmonizing" to begin with

No, it wasn't really, but it's worth mentioning that Californian soft folk rock (Crosby, Stills and Nash and their ilk, all of whom heavily relied on their harmonizing prowess) were as much of an influence on Robert Plant as the blues and world music. Around the time of Zeppelin's formation The Band's first album (Music From Big Pink) was possibly the most influentual album on the planet- funky roots music that featured three singers with very distinctive voices.

Didn't Zep work out four part harmonies for "Tangerine" at the '75 Earls Court shows?

They also were in the audience for CSNY's massive 14/9/74 Wembley concert- a tour that inspired everybody and their dog to bust out the acoustic gear for a set...

Oh....nevermind :wall:

Why of course it would Slave..Jeez....and so would an orchestra, a rhythm guitar player and 3 professional back-up singers too.....But is that Led Zeppelin???

Nope, that's Roger Waters.... :P

See post #22 again...and again if you have too. It's all there.

Led Zeppelin's music wasn't based on "vocal harmonizing" to begin with , aside from Plant overdubbing his own vocals in the studio-or the effects he used onstage. Still in all, they were not that kind of band. I used many other artist as examples that ARE and more recognizable for that sole reason. Again, they recorded one song with a female vocalist.....

Now, if someone was to do an occasional guest appearance and do Battle (live) I could see it. Like Keith Moon did on "Moby Dick", or Mick Ralphs on "It'll be Me". But not bringing in someone to tour for one song, the whole or half the set....I'm sure they could have very well did that, but it's not their style, their DNA or the way they liked to work.

I can't express this any clearer, But yes Slave, it would have "sounded" better.

geez mate, you really don't like anyone else having a different opinion, do ya?

if it wasn't led zeppelin to have a female singer on the battle of evermore, then why tf did they use sandy denny ...... hellooooooooo

geez mate, you really don't like anyone else having a different opinion, do ya?

if it wasn't led zeppelin to have a female singer on the battle of evermore, then why tf did they use sandy denny ...... hellooooooooo

Slave, you got it all wrong...I welcome a discussion and we all disagree. I dont understand what the comprehension problem is here, but you brought up the subject of having a female vocalist ON TOUR. I gave you some insight as to why they may have not done that. That simple. Have a good morning/evening.

^ If that "arrow" is pointing at me for any reason...I don't believe I or anybody else is bitching or griping...if you care to READ what's been written-

I gave a few likely reasons why they didn't use an outside vocalist. Period.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to explain every detail and place every word perfectly for some members to grasp or understand what's being said, (and that's frustrating) otherwise it's taken way out of context, misunderstood or twisted.....and poof- then you have an argument or debate to contend with.... and that is the truth.

For the record, I happen to like to vocals...I've just heard him do better outside of Zep (but like you said LZG, what can you do.,...nothing)

^ If that "arrow" is pointing at me for any reason...I don't believe I or anybody else is bitching or griping...if you care to READ what's been written-

I gave a few likely reasons why they didn't use an outside vocalist. Period.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to explain every detail and place every word perfectly for some members to grasp or understand what's being said, (and that's frustrating) otherwise it's taken way out of context, misunderstood or twisted.....and poof- then you have an argument or debate to contend with.... and that is the truth.

For the record, I happen to like to vocals...I've just heard him do better outside of Zep (but like you said LZG, what can you do.,...nothing)

That arrow wasn't for you. I was smh at the situation. And that 'bitch & gripe' remark was towards me. Sorry if you took offense to it....

I mean, what can I possibly say when something's already happened? That's just my two cents though. Like they say, opinions are like a--holes, everybody's got one. ;)

No, it wasn't really, but it's worth mentioning that Californian soft folk rock (Crosby, Stills and Nash and their ilk, all of whom heavily relied on their harmonizing prowess) were as much of an influence on Robert Plant as the blues and world music. Around the time of Zeppelin's formation The Band's first album (Music From Big Pink) was possibly the most influentual album on the planet- funky roots music that featured three singers with very distinctive voices.

Didn't Zep work out four part harmonies for "Tangerine" at the '75 Earls Court shows?

They also were in the audience for CSNY's massive 14/9/74 Wembley concert- a tour that inspired everybody and their dog to bust out the acoustic gear for a set...

Yeah Nutrocker, they did have a love for that music, no doubt. And it really shows on Zep3. I believe CSN&Y were high on Jimmy's list of influences too.

Slave, you got it all wrong...I welcome a discussion and we all disagree. I dont understand what the comprehension problem is here, but you brought up the subject of having a female vocalist ON TOUR. I gave you some insight as to why they may have not done that. That simple. Have a good morning/evening.

there is no comprehension problem on my part.

yes, we are talking about ON TOUR. it was already done by a female vocalist IN THE STUDIO, so this discussion is about whether they should have kept using one ON TOUR.

and i think it wold have sounded much better if they had.

Again, I agree.....^ did I say it wasn't ???

Adding a female vocalist ON TOUR was your question/subject matter, was it not?

Then again, it was actually a switch-a-roo combo, of "sounding better", "On Tour" and who did the "studio track"..which I think everyone on this site is familiar with who Sandy Denny is..

So that being said, I did my very best to acknowledge and address all those areas...and also do it with respect and humor....If I didn't get through to you...I'm sorry.

I'm out.

Again, I agree.....^ did I say it wasn't ???

Adding a female vocalist ON TOUR was your question/subject matter, was it not?

Then again, it was actually a switch-a-roo combo, of "sounding better", "On Tour" and who did the "studio track"..which I think everyone on this site is familiar with who Sandy Denny is..

So that being said, I did my very best to acknowledge and address all those areas...and also do it with respect and humor....If I didn't get through to you...I'm sorry.

I'm out.

instead of getting all huffy, maybe you better go back and read the topic title, mate. 77 = ON TOUR.

bye bye

:rolleyes:

To Rock Historian and Slave To Zep, can I ask a favour? Mind take yer little pissing contest to PM's or something instead of clogging up this poll discussion with a debate you'll never fucking agree on? Eye thank yew...

Yeah Nutrocker, they did have a love for that music, no doubt. And it really shows on Zep3.

The third album is definitely their nod toward 'wooden music', and brilliant one at that.

I believe CSN&Y were high on Jimmy's list of influences too.

Indeed...try playing "Friends" and "Carry On" (from CSNY's Deja Vu album) back to back sometime :lol:

Page also contributed heavily to Stephen Stills' Right By You album in 1984, so there is definitely a connection there.

:rolleyes:

To Rock Historian and Slave To Zep, can I ask a favour? Mind take yer little pissing contest to PM's or something instead of clogging up this poll discussion with a debate you'll never fucking agree on? Eye thank yew...

sorry if it has upset you. just having a discussion. i feel that is what a forum is for. when i see something i don't want to participate in, or if it annoys me in some way, i just scroll past.

anyway, didn't mean to offend you. :)

I always thought CSN&Y had their own stash(s)? :D

I am pretty sure if CSNY could have ground up Page's influences into a fine powder, they woulda snorted that too!

Although I reckon if you were to match CSNY's collective cocaine consumption with Led Zeppelin's, it'd probably be pretty damn close...

Now, letting JPJ sing on "Battle Of Evermore" could certainly qualify as being a 'cocaine decision'...it wouldn't surprise me

The third album is definitely their nod toward 'wooden music', and brilliant one at that.

Indeed...try playing "Friends" and "Carry On" (from CSNY's Deja Vu album) back to back sometime :lol:

Page also contributed heavily to Stephen Stills' Right By You album in 1984, so there is definitely a connection there.

The Third album is- to me, one of the bands finest hours. I really don't have a fav Zep album or a fav. song, because it varies with mood.

But, Zep 3 is one that I listen too more than most of the others...Presence, Zep 3 and the first album are the one's I've played the most over the last 20-25 years. So, to me that says something. I really wish they would have done more of it (acoustic) towards the end of their career, but-that's another story. 'That's the Way' and 'Tangerine' are some of my favorite tunes off the album. And I'm not much bothered by 'Hat's off' like some people are either. It grew on me.

Do you own any CSN&Y records, Nut? I have the first two on vinyl.

I've never tried playing those tunes back-to-back(that you mentioned), but it sounds like something that would be a challenge and good fun..I must try that one day soon.

And lastly, I'm sorry if that little "debate" went overboard on your thread. That wasn't the intention, but sometimes it's seems terribly hard for a few members to understand where your coming from, even if you present things three different ways, (if put in that position) with good intentions I might add ,along with details, reasons as to why or why not and/or facts, while still actually agreeing ...and it still goes over one's head. But that's the nature of this forum sometimes, I gather. No biggie.

Take Care Nut, nice talkin to ya.

The Third album is- to me, one of the bands finest hours. I really don't have a fav Zep album or a fav. song, because it varies with mood.

But, Zep 3 is one that I listen too more than most of the others...Presence, Zep 3 and the first album are the one's I've played the most over the last 20-25 years. So, to me that says something. I really wish they would have done more of it (acoustic) towards the end of their career, but-that's another story. 'That's the Way' and 'Tangerine' are some of my favorite tunes off the album. And I'm not much bothered by 'Hat's off' like some people are either. It grew on me.

Do you own any CSN&Y records, Nut? I have the first two on vinyl.

I've never tried playing those tunes back-to-back(that you mentioned), but it sounds like something that would be a challenge and good fun..I must try that one day soon.

And lastly, I'm sorry if that little "debate" went overboard on your thread. That wasn't the intention, but sometimes it's seems terribly hard for a few members to understand where your coming from, even if you present things three different ways, (if put in that position) with good intentions I might add ,along with details, reasons as to why or why not and/or facts, while still actually agreeing ...and it still goes over one's head. But that's the nature of this forum sometimes, I gather. No biggie.

Take Care Nut, nice talkin to ya.

that is a pretty weak thing to say, especially when you were actually doing that to me. i can agree to disagree with anyone, anytime. just don't get petty and patronising. ok???

edited to add :

sorry everyone else if that came over as bitchy, i really don't mean to, it's just that i found that last statement rather nasty. sorry again.

Archived