What are yer thoughts on JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore" (in 1977)?

Nutrocker

JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore"  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of them?

• I like 'em!
    • I don't like them, but I can live with them.
    • Can't stand 'em!
    • They should have got somebody else...

With the unledded version, i think its the cantankerous percussion that throws me off, as much as akhtars vocals. Although plant sings a strange yeowlee intro to no quarter in the song remains the same movie, so its a pronunciation in the singing that changes the vocal so much. The version plant does with alison krauss i think is what people are expecting. Krauss is singing amazing towards the build up at the end of the song, the drummer is hitting the cymbals with maracas, t bone burnett comes in with electric guitar, they did a great version.

With led zeppelin's acoustic set in 77, they are just having fun, sometimes playing going to california like a ditty for a time and then going back to the song that it is. battle of evermore, they could have had bonham on the drum kit where he always belongs, but he is just playing simple tamborine, jpjs vocals are almost spoken they are so simple....but why oh why did they add the harmonizer?

As with all of led zeppelins albums, the live versions are so much different.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

CRAP to me!! John's vocals are simply not strong enough or unique enough to be the only backing vocals in a live setting to my ears. Frankly Jimmy and Bonham should have been working with John to combine all 3 of there voices as a single backing vocal unit which most likely would have been more bearable. The only thing I could ever be critical when discussing Zeppelin is that they truly never really tried or perhaps understood the importance of backing vocals for certain songs in a live setting.

Archived