What a shock! (The Charlie Rose Interview)

WHAT A SHOCK! I am sitting here watching the "long version" of the Charlie Rose Interview on CBS with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.... One of my photos of the O2 show shows up in the telecast around the 6:50 mark..... Wow - I wonder where they got it - CBS sure never contacted me about using it....

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12722

WHAT A SHOCK! I am sitting here watching the "long version" of the Charlie Rose Interview on CBS with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.... One of my photos of the O2 show shows up in the telecast around the 6:50 mark..... Wow - I wonder where they got it - CBS sure never contacted me about using it....

http://www.charliero...interview/12722

Someone must not be clearing rights over at CBS. Did you sell the shot in question to an agency or anything - is its use limited?

That CBS is still on the air is also shocking.

Hilarious Steve!

Someone must not be clearing rights over at CBS. Did you sell the shot in question to an agency or anything - is its use limited?

Nah, it just showed up.... I think they may have got it from my Ultimate Classic Rock article on the O2, but the CBS thing was done totally without my knowledge.... I have it on my photo website, and I have seen those photos showing unauthorized up on websites as far away as Russia.... Also, I see comments on them from people saying "Who took this photo?"

Hence, the increased use of watermarks

Definitely glad to share my stuff with you all on LPF

that CBS is still on the air in Texas and that someone is watching it.... j/k Mark. Who else would they go to in order to nik something from someone's vault?

love your work Mark- the one you took of Nancy Wilson with her arms out wide looking toward the sky is one I go to often. Have often thought of contacting you to get it blown up for a wall in my man cave.

that CBS is still on the air in Texas and that someone is watching it.... j/k Mark. Who else would they go to in order to nik something from someone's vault?

love your work Mark- the one you took of Nancy Wilson with her arms out wide looking toward the sky is one I go to often. Have often thought of contacting you to get it blown up for a wall in my man cave.

Thanks, DK!!...that Nancy Wilson photo is one they had under consideration for the new Heart bio book, Kicking and Dreaming by Charles R. Cross.... I had about 60 photos shot over their career in the mix, and surprisingly enough - there was only ONE live shot in the entire book when the editors got a hold of them.... I sure loved the book though....! And Ann and Nancy have been incredible to me for almost 35 years now....I think the world of them and really appreciated their thanks and acknowledgment in the back of their book....

I watch CBS for The Big Bang Theory.

Mark, have you contacted CBS or is it worth the trouble? You would think a major network and their shows would have an understanding of copyright laws. I am sorry this happened.

Thanks, Melanie......! I am definitely going to check into it and find out how they got it - they may have thought it was in the public domain, but I haven't done that with any of my photographs to date..... I have retained copyright authority on everything, even though I have shared several photos gratis for specific articles, cool newsgroups like this one or other various reasons.... For example, DavidZoso has used a few, but he ALWAYS asks first and I appreciate that.... I also appreciate his work and the time it takes to catalogue so many gigs.... He's really got the details down!

I would like to understand their process that got it on the Charlie Rose segment to begin with... At the very least, I should be credited and at the end of the day - probably compensated like they do every other photographer whose work they use for their CBS segments....

Thanks, Melanie......! I am definitely going to check into it and find out how they got it - they may have thought it was in the public domain, but I haven't done that with any of my photographs to date..... I have retained copyright authority on everything, even though I have shared several photos gratis for specific articles, cool newsgroups like this one or other various reasons.... For example, DavidZoso has used a few, but he ALWAYS asks first and I appreciate that.... I also appreciate his work and the time it takes to catalogue so many gigs.... He's really got the details down!

I would like to understand their process that got it on the Charlie Rose segment to begin with... At the very least, I should be credited and at the end of the day - probably compensated like they do every other photographer whose work they use for their CBS segments....

It is not legal for anyone to use another person's intellectual property without permission or arranged compensation. At the very least media generally offer credit. This is clearly sloppy rights clearance on CBS's part. Artists are ripped off all the time in this manner and the more of us that call them on it, the better for us all. I negotiate rights all the time and can offer some suggestions if you'd like.

If it's bugging you so much, get your lawyer on to it.

Usually they have a no win - no pay policy, at least here they do.

Copyright infringement and misuse of intellectual property are serious issues and the media should know better.

Ironic that this issue has arisen due to the fact a television broadcast of a band also embroiled in plagiarism issues in the past, chose to use unauthorised and uncredited material.

hope I'm not off topic here, but I just watched the rose interview and all I've got to say is, c'mon guys, just do something together: tour, studio tracks, something...there's just not a lot of time left...don't lose the opportunity to make use of the chemistry you've still got...it's still there even though Bonham is gone...put something on tape now...

hope I'm not off topic here, but I just watched the rose interview and all I've got to say is, c'mon guys, just do something together: tour, studio tracks, something...there's just not a lot of time left...don't lose the opportunity to make use of the chemistry you've still got...it's still there even though Bonham is gone...put something on tape now...

Yes, you are very off topic. There's already a thread for the Charlie Rose interview.

Archived