Jimmy Page on Hendrix

Geezer

That..."Hey Joe" is a fake/tribute. And a bad one, I'd have to say...it has elements of the Hendrix recording (I think?) mixed with a 1968 demo recorded by the Band of Joy. Absolutely no Led Zeppelin there. Not to mention the fact that Led Zeppelin did not tour in 1974...

I was going to say the same but for my point of view is useless to compare two guitarrist of different kind of styles.

• 3 months later...

Robert Plant makes reference to the "loss" of Jimi Hendrix during this Led Zeppelin concert from September 19, 1970 at New York's Madison Square Garden show right around the 37:45 mark. He gives a brief, however, Heartfelt speech.

Hendrix bassist Noel Redding was a backstage guest at this show.

Ah! The Noel Redding rumor rears it's head. I think you're probably referring to a set of photos taken backstage that night.

I agree, there is a cat who looks very much like him, but the hair is more '67 Noel than '70 Noel. After much SAJ-type investigating

on a Hendrix forum, it was deduced not to be Redding. Even though Noel was in NYC that night. We're talking about this guy, to the

right of Jones, correct?

74280788.jpg

Ah! The Noel Redding rumor rears it's head. I think you're probably referring to a set of photos taken backstage that night.

I agree, there is a cat who looks very much like him, but the hair is more '67 Noel than '70 Noel. After much SAJ-type investigating

on a Hendrix forum, it was deduced not to be Redding. Even though Noel was in NYC that night. We're talking about this guy, to the

right of Jones, correct?

74280788.jpg

That photo presumably had shown Noel Redding backstage. If it has been proven otherwise there is still Robert's onstage comments about having spoken with a friend of Jimi's a short while ago and - most convincingly - this concert review by Ian Dove published in the October 1970 issue of Record Mirror that reports Redding was backstage:

PRESS REVIEW: LED ZEP $200,000 U.S. SELLOUT GIG

Led Zeppelin finished their American tour with around 200,000 dollars worth of business at the big Madison Square Garden where they nearly filled the first concert and completely packed the second. They were the only act on the bill and so each member earned himself around 30,000 dollars (after deductions) for just under six hours work.

But work it was - second show received such audience reaction, comparable with the Stones at their Madison date, that several long encores were done by the group.

They introduced several things from die new Led Zeppelin Three album including one number with Jimmy Page on acoustic guitar and John Paul Jones on electric mandolin.

Backstage it was quiet, everybody looking forward to departing to England the following day. Paul Jones, ex-Manfred Mann, chatted to John Paul Jones. Paul Jones is in New York for the opening of his British hit play, 'Conduct Unbecoming'.

Robert Plant was talking about buying a horse for his wife; he has one himself! — Noel Redding was a backstage visitor. Lord Sutch was around, attended the concert, but apparently couldn't make it backstage. It isn't too matey right now between the Zep and his Lordship over the Sutch album. Apparently there was a misunderstanding, with the Zep thinking they were doing rock oldies with Sutch as a favour, but with Sutch adding new lyrics and different titles.

Interesting indeed. I was in the "sure looks like Noel to me" camp, for the record. I think photos of Noel around that time were produced that showed a different look, and the fact that Noel himself never mentioned it. I think he was even identified as someone else. Let me look for that. I still think it's him, even more so now that you've shown me that review.

Jimmy has only ever been complimentary of Hendrix' work as a guitarist - and rightfully so. I'm pretty sure he also made a remark to the effect that Clapton was never able to "get over" Hendrix, and was always chasing that sound.

It's always cool to hear snippets of influence from the one to the other, (e.g., Jimmy's impromptu cover of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" on 15/01/1973).

Personally I think Page was far more successful than Clapton at incorporating elements of Hendrix into his style, Eric just wasn't willingly to either play in as "tight but loose" a fashion as Jimi nore explore the use of guitar FX as much so never really captured that same wild energy.

Archived