What were the rarest Zep songs played live?

unleasher

Communication Breakdown.

Jeff

:huh: You might want to rethink your concept of 'rarest'. :blink:

In answering this question, I only considered songs that were played in their entirety, not excerpts...which is why I didn't count "Good Times Bad Times" and "Your Time Is Gonna Come".

"The Wanton Song" just missed my top 5 due to it being played a few more times on the 1975 Tour than "When the Levee Breaks".

Lastly, I only considered the Led Zeppelin concerts of 1968-1980.

In answering this question, I only considered songs that were played in their entirety, not excerpts...which is why I didn't count "Good Times Bad Times" and "Your Time Is Gonna Come".

"The Wanton Song" just missed my top 5 due to it being played a few more times on the 1975 Tour than "When the Levee Breaks".

yeah, i know, but i couldn't resist :)

There hasn't been any Zeppelin since 1980.

Cough! The O2 gig was played as Led Zeppelin. Note how Plant talks about "bringing jason in" just before they play "For Your Life", i.e. bringing Jason in to Led Zeppelin. I rest my case m'lud. :)

They played it as the final song in 73. And on the Zep DVD it's listed at Royal Albert Hall 1970. And since they only played 295 concerts in 10 years, any song is rare!

Jeff

Off the top of my head, the top 5 rarest songs played are probably these:

1. Four Sticks

2. Friends

3. Out on the Tiles

4. Gallows Pole

5. When the Levee Breaks

Agreed! Here's some more rare ones from the world of bootlegs:

D'yer Mak'er (tiny bit at Earl's Court May 25th)

Traveling Riverside Blues (Does Maida Vale studio count as live?)

Your Time is Gonna Come (Japan '71, Sept.24th)

They played it as the final song in 73. And on the Zep DVD it's listed at Royal Albert Hall 1970. And since they only played 295 concerts in 10 years, any song is rare!

Jeff

You don't listen to many bootlegs, do you? To my knowledge, Communication Breakdown was played at the very least once in every Led Zeppelin live tour. According to the website linked a few posts back, it was played over 106 times. I'm pretty sure Led Zeppelin played more than 295 concerts, but, even if they didn't, that wouldn't mean that every song they played was rare.

Sunshine woman?

As long as you count the BBC sessions as live - which they were - then Sunshine Woman, along with "The Girl I Love She Got Long Brown Wavy Hair" were each played only once (or at least are known to have been played only once).

However, these songs were never actually studio songs of course, and one is sort of a version of the other, so it's sort of like they played one song twice.

The rarest Zep song that the band wrote, and recorded on a studio album, and played in full live, is "Friends," which was played in full only once, at the Sep 29 '71 Osaka show.

I'm pretty sure every other Zeppelin song that the band played live, and in full, was played at least twice.

As long as you count the BBC sessions as live - which they were - then Sunshine Woman, along with "The Girl I Love She Got Long Brown Wavy Hair" were each played only once (or at least are known to have been played only once).

However, these songs were never actually studio songs of course, and one is sort of a version of the other, so it's sort of like they played one song twice.

The rarest Zep song that the band wrote, and recorded on a studio album, and played in full live, is "Friends," which was played in full only once, at the Sep 29 '71 Osaka show.

I'm pretty sure every other Zeppelin song that the band played live, and in full, was played at least twice.

Four sticks.

Archived