Led Zeppelin Over Europe 1980

Nutrocker

Thanks. I didn't know about the CD either.  I like Dave Lewis and did get the impression he was too much of a fan to be objective. But if you think about it, if there is criticism to be dealt the 1980 Tour (and for some  ITTOD) is were one would go. 

I ping'd Dave Lewis, there was a CD with the book in one of the very early runs, but no more. Essentially it was bootleg stuff that Dave just burnt to a CD-R that is all out there already. No great loss, but thought I'd clarify.

On April 18, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Nutrocker said:

Oh no, Dave's book on the '80 tour is extremely objective...shit, he says many of the same things about the tour that we say here :lol: He doesn't pull any punches and hardly comes across as a drooling fanboy at all.  It's definitely worth the read, lots of pictures as well (of course) and a free CD of Dave's "Best Of" for the tour (all soundboard recordings! Probably as close to an official 1980 tour release we'll ever see)

I have that book, signed by Dave, bought through TBL, but I never received a cd with it?!?   How did you get that one?  

On April 20, 2016 at 3:26 AM, rm2551 said:

I ping'd Dave Lewis, there was a CD with the book in one of the very early runs, but no more. Essentially it was bootleg stuff that Dave just burnt to a CD-R that is all out there already. No great loss, but thought I'd clarify.

Didn't see this until after I posted.  Eye thank ewe!

I'm too lazy to search for it right now, but in one of the 1980 tour discussions here I listed the tracks Dave used for the compilation he added to the first pressings of Feather In The Wind. Point being, if you have the shows, it's easy enough to lash together the same compilation.

• 2 weeks later...

I read Dave Lewis' book on the 80 tour and found it to be pretty informative and enjoyable. As expected Dave sticks to his "rose tinted glasses" view, which is understandable given that he was (and still is) a fan when he went on the tour and must have thought himself to be a very fortunate man. However he does allow others who contribute to the book to state some of the negative aspects of the tour so there is balance

• 2 weeks later...

Dave sent me a link to the compilation, it's called Feather In The Wind 1980. Unfortunately it was back when he had just put the compilation together and I no longer have the link. Here's the track list if anyone's interested:

Train Kept A Rollin' (Cologne 18 June 1980)
In The Evening (Zurich 29 June 1980)
All My Love (Zurich 29 June 1980)
Trampled Under Foot (Frankfurt 30 June 1980)
Achilles Last Stand (Zurich 29 June 1980)
Kashmir (Berlin 7 July 1980)
Stairway To Heaven (Hannover 24 June 1980)
Money (Frankfurt 30 June 1980)
Whole Lotta Love (Dortmund 17 June 1980)
Communication Breakdown (Cologne 18 June 1980)
Heartbreaker (Zurich 29 June 1980)

11 hours ago, Jukkin said:

Dave sent me a link to the compilation, it's called Feather In The Wind 1980. Unfortunately it was back when he had just put the compilation together and I no longer have the link. Here's the track list if anyone's interested:

Train Kept A Rollin' (Cologne 18 June 1980)
In The Evening (Zurich 29 June 1980)
All My Love (Zurich 29 June 1980)
Trampled Under Foot (Frankfurt 30 June 1980)
Achilles Last Stand (Zurich 29 June 1980)
Kashmir (Berlin 7 July 1980)
Stairway To Heaven (Hannover 24 June 1980)
Money (Frankfurt 30 June 1980)
Whole Lotta Love (Dortmund 17 June 1980)
Communication Breakdown (Cologne 18 June 1980)
Heartbreaker (Zurich 29 June 1980)

Anyone endorse or suggest changes (not too drastic) to ^that as a good representation / "best of" of that tour?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Eman the Epic said:

I feel Iike any soundboard from Over Europeis very crisp and clean but the actual preformance is kind of bland with no energy left in it.

Then you need to pick up Rotterdam or Frankfurt my friend. The first four shows of the tour were excellent and from there they went up and down. For the most part the Tour Over Europe was a good tour with the majority of the shows good, some excellent, and only three stinkers.

They proved this approach, vs. the old approach with the 30 minute epics, was they way to go for the foreseeable future. The only complaint I had with this tour was the setlist and especially the RS, HD, AML mid-show quaalude. RS did not fit, HD should have been used as an encore, and AML would have worked much better after Kashmir. Final encore should have been a rotation of Heartbreaker, Communication Breakdown, or Wearing and Tearing.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Then you need to pick up Rotterdam or Frankfurt my friend. The first four shows of the tour were excellent and from there they went up and down. For the most part the Tour Over Europe was a good tour with the majority of the shows good, some excellent, and only three stinkers.

They proved this approach, vs. the old approach with the 30 minute epics, was they way to go for the foreseeable future. The only complaint I had with this tour was the setlist and especially the RS, HD, AML mid-show quaalude. RS did not fit, HD should have been used as an encore, and AML would have worked much better after Kashmir. Final encore should have been a rotation of Heartbreaker, Communication Breakdown, or Wearing and Tearing.

Thanks I'll check them out.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone find that Page's tone on this tour has similarities to that of Syd Barrett? I really like it, it's a feature. It's thin in a good way, and sounds like buzzing insects.

I personally thought it was too tinny / dry / something. It worked for some numbers (or maybe some numbers worked in spite of the guitar tone?), but overall I didn't think it worked. Same with Bonzo's sound. Maybe it's the dry soundboards??? But the drums sounded like they lost a lot of their power (low end?)

Still, TU on that tour was out of this world. THE height.

Yes, TUF was the highlight of the set - no doubt about it!  The "buzzing insects" sound, as it was described earlier, is what killed "Rain Song" just about every night for the most part.  That song needs a clean sound, not distortion IMO.  I do like the piano sound in SIBLY, for a change.  Interesting 3 weeks, that was well documented, for sure!

On 7/19/2016 at 5:34 AM, rm2551 said:

I think it's safe to say "Trampled Under Foot" was the highlight of the 1980 shows...I wonder if over time they woulda dragged it out to twenty plus minutes ala "No Quarter" or "Dazed And Confused"? :lol: Not that I'd be complaining, I could listen to that "Trampled" jam for hours, especially if Jimmy was actually playing a coherent solo and not just making abrasive dischordant noises via his wah wah pedal!

On 20/07/2016 at 11:53 PM, Nutrocker said:

I think it's safe to say "Trampled Under Foot" was the highlight of the 1980 shows...I wonder if over time they woulda dragged it out to twenty plus minutes ala "No Quarter" or "Dazed And Confused"? :lol: Not that I'd be complaining, I could listen to that "Trampled" jam for hours, especially if Jimmy was actually playing a coherent solo and not just making abrasive dischordant noises via his wah wah pedal!

Yes! The ones I have listened to he is really going for a power wah wah sound and gets a cracking good effect going. I have a feeling if given enough rope he could easily turn it into 20mins of epic head bopping mezmorizing drama with brilliant constructs and undertones. A 1980 US tour would no doubt have featured a monster rendition.

On 7/20/2016 at 8:49 AM, Strider said:

Just give me an official release of "Trampled Under Foot" and "Whole Lotta Love" from Berlin and I'll be happy.

Shit, as far as I'm concerned they could do an official release of the complete Berlin show -well, maybe not that gawdawful eighteen minute "White Summer"- and I'd be happy. Berlin's not that bad...

13 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Yes! The ones I have listened to he is really going for a power wah wah sound and gets a cracking good effect going. I have a feeling if given enough rope he could easily turn it into 20mins of epic head bopping mezmorizing drama with brilliant constructs and undertones. A 1980 US tour would no doubt have featured a monster rendition.

Yeah, maybe not twenty minutes, but the thirteen minute version of TUF from Berlin would be a good starting point.

On 7/19/2016 at 7:34 AM, rm2551 said:

I personally thought it was too tinny / dry / something. It worked for some numbers (or maybe some numbers worked in spite of the guitar tone?), but overall I didn't think it worked. Same with Bonzo's sound. Maybe it's the dry soundboards??? But the drums sounded like they lost a lot of their power (low end?)

I also do not like the sound they had, maybe it's the boards, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. I do think the show needed some tweaking regarding the set list and it's order but for the most part I found the performances to be good with some really great moments although the bad moments are pretty bad.

I bought a 9 record set from Wendy  Midnight moonlight, Platinum, and Dinosaur. The way the sold it you needed all three to get 2 full shows and part of another. Very nice vinyl set

On July 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Strider said:

Just give me an official release of "Trampled Under Foot" and "Whole Lotta Love" from Berlin and I'll be happy.

I got the same set!  What was it 25-30 years ago?  I believe I was a teenager when I bought them, I believe.  I remember the price being high.  I worked out a "deal" for myself... ;) 

Archived