Are you an “Early Adaptor”?

Charles J. White

My brother is an early adopter of all Apple products. He has owned practically all different models of iPod (classic) several generations of iPhone and was among the first to buy an iPad.

I may have been an early adopter until at least 1999. Ever since I have fallen behind on most technologies, this stems from my reluctance to combine camera, video and music functions into a cellphone, I'm still of the idea that a mobile phone should only make and receive calls, period, and for all other multimedia functions there should be separate gadgets.

I'm probably wrong but that's how I feel about it, also, it must be a sign of ageing, the reluctance to accept the new technologies. My brothers, friends, my niece and even my mother insist I should be more present on facebook. This wikipedia graph goes from "early adopter" to "laggard":

DiffusionOfInnovation.png

An early adaptor is someone who eagerly follows new developments in personal technology - think of someone you know who's always the first to get the newest gadget or app.

I'm the opposite, basically a Luddite.

Today was the first time I heard the phrase, and so I made a call to the office, only to find out that being an "Early Adoptor" is like a sign of greatness in recent years. Because like Chili I had no idea what it was, the thought came through my mind that I really am out of touch :wtf:

My brother is an early adopter of all Apple products. He has owned practically all different models of iPod (classic) several generations of iPhone and was among the first to buy an iPad.

I may have been an early adopter until at least 1999. Ever since I have fallen behind on most technologies, this stems from my reluctance to combine camera, video and music functions into a cellphone, I'm still of the idea that a mobile phone should only make and receive calls, period, and for all other multimedia functions there should be separate gadgets.

I'm probably wrong but that's how I feel about it, also, it must be a sign of ageing, the reluctance to accept the new technologies. My brothers, friends, my niece and even my mother insist I should be more present on facebook. This wikipedia graph goes from "early adopter" to "laggard":

The 16% of Laggards is me!

I had to use this damn theoretical waste in the worst class I ever was enrolled. These are just stupid behavioral models that some psychoanalyst types try to shove everyone in. They don't exist in the practical world. If management would just shove paper around and not try to place people in categories, they could get a lot more accomplished. Eliminating BS like this from the work place would allow employees to do their actual job and not worry about stupid hypothetical models that have no relevance to productivity.

Today was the first time I heard the phrase, and so I made a call to the office, only to find out that being an "Early Adoptor" is like a sign of greatness in recent years. Because like Chili I had no idea what it was, the thought came through my mind that I really am out of touch :wtf:

Malcolm Gladwell' book, The Tipping Point, chronicles the concept nicely. His follow up, Blink, is how we intuitively know much more than we think. Put the two together and I'm unchartable: some times an early adopter, some times a laggard but always with a keen sense of intuition.

• 2 months later...

Archived