Longest live song / longest Stairway?

unleasher

I'm sure it worked out that way whether the band intended it to or not :lol:

I've been convinced for years that post-Seattle Zeppelin made a conscious decision to scale back the length of the 1977 shows; there are points where the Seattle show seems like more of a test of endurance than anything else, and I could easily imagine any one of the band members saying, "Jesus, these four hour long shows are a bit much, aren't they?" One way or another the remaining '77 shows are about an hour shorter than the Seattle gig, and that must have been by design. They dropped the drum solo, for one thing, and the Oakland (and I'm guessing Tempe) "No Quarter"s were barely twenty minutes long (the 24/7/77 doesn't even have a 'boogie section')- not necessarily 'going through the motions' (I can't think of a version of "No Quarter" that really fits that description) but rolled back for sure. Hell, maybe they actually noticed some of the bored tension in the audience during the longer solo pieces...

How long is 17/7/77?

How long is 17/7/77?

From start to finish, about three hours twenty minutes, give or take. Mind ya, the encore break after "Stairway to Heaven" is about eight minutes, but it's still a long show (28 minute "No Quarter", 25 minute drum solo, 15 minute Noise Solo and the longest ever "Bron Y Aur Stomp" -twelve minutes- due to Page breaking a string)

Yeah nobody plays that long anymore. I saw the Stones in Toronto this past Thursday and they were fantastic, but the show was about 2 hr 40 min and the longest song was Midnight Rambler at 13 min.

Also, I was thinking last night: 21/3/75 has to be up there for longest show. Comparing it to 27/3/75, every song is a little bit shorter, but it's encores are longer (WLL is 3 min longer and then add another 12 min for Communication Breakdown and Heartbreaker which aren't at 27/3/75).

21/3/75 is probably up there in the top ten of longest Zeppelin performances, it's at least three and a half hours. No doubt about it, the fans got their money's worth, that's for sure!

As for the Stones, "Midnight Rambler" has always been their longest live song (the 1975 versions being the longest) but their current shows are probably the longest performances they've done in years- the average "Licks" or "Bigger Bang" tour gigs were only about two hours -if that- and quite a few fans seemed to gripe about the length of those shows (especially considering the high ticket prices). I believe the 1975 tour offered the Stones' longest shows; they expanded their setlist and time onstage significantly from previous tours (up to that point they only did about 80 minutes onstage)- lengthwise, these 2012/2013 gigs they're doing are close to '75, and maybe even longer depending on the setlist.

I'm sure it worked out that way whether the band intended it to or not :lol:

I've been convinced for years that post-Seattle Zeppelin made a conscious decision to scale back the length of the 1977 shows; there are points where the Seattle show seems like more of a test of endurance than anything else, and I could easily imagine any one of the band members saying, "Jesus, these four hour long shows are a bit much, aren't they?" One way or another the remaining '77 shows are about an hour shorter than the Seattle gig, and that must have been by design. They dropped the drum solo, for one thing, and the Oakland (and I'm guessing Tempe) "No Quarter"s were barely twenty minutes long (the 24/7/77 doesn't even have a 'boogie section')- not necessarily 'going through the motions' (I can't think of a version of "No Quarter" that really fits that description) but rolled back for sure. Hell, maybe they actually noticed some of the bored tension in the audience during the longer solo pieces...

Besides the venue I think the main problem with Seattle is the layoff, especially late in their career it seems to me Zep built up the very best(and normally longest) shows over a number of nights.

There are very few versions of NQ that I don't enjoy to some degree but if you look at say the 75 US tour I think the first legs performances definitely drag more than the seconds dispite being shorter. Page's soloing was maybe more fluent in 73 but its during that 75 tour that the jam section gradualy reaches its potential with more form introduced to the soloing and JPJ/Bonham playing a much larger part, it doesn't suit the original atmosphere of the song aswell bvut for me its a greater achievement and for me one of the best things Zep ever did live or in the studio. Ironic really that the band most people would consider furthest from jazz rock created one of the best ever pieces of it.

Besides the venue I think the main problem with Seattle is the layoff, especially late in their career it seems to me Zep built up the very best(and normally longest) shows over a number of nights.

I've said it before: if only they'd played Seattle on June 17 instead...it probably would have been one of the best shows of the tour, and a good taste for what was in store for the L.A. run.

There are very few versions of NQ that I don't enjoy to some degree but if you look at say the 75 US tour I think the first legs performances definitely drag more than the seconds dispite being shorter. Page's soloing was maybe more fluent in 73 but its during that 75 tour that the jam section gradualy reaches its potential with more form introduced to the soloing and JPJ/Bonham playing a much larger part, it doesn't suit the original atmosphere of the song aswell bvut for me its a greater achievement and for me one of the best things Zep ever did live or in the studio. Ironic really that the band most people would consider furthest from jazz rock created one of the best ever pieces of it.

True, before JPJ started playing the grand piano on the second leg of the '75 tour, the first leg versions really were simply like longer 1973 versions; some of them are still quite good though (I particularly like the Detroit 31/1/75 version, Page is really on the ball for that solo). Indeed, though, starting with the crazy jazz rhythms Jones and Bonham busted out at the Vancouver and Seattle shows they laid down a jam that jazz rockers like Steely Dan could only dream of (and I say that as a big Dan Fan.)

Overall though, I'd still reckon "No Quarter" is more Prog Rock than Jazz Rock, though the studio version is a very schizophrenic fusion of the two genres :lol:

Really "prog" rock covers quite a lot of ground, the track is certainly very jazzy though.

My guess has always been that JPJ had been listening to Keith Jarret who was putting out improvised solo piano lbums at that point(indeed the most famours one "koln concert" came out in Jan 75), very similar kind of soloing mixing jazz, blues and classical.

The 73 versions have Pages very sharp solo to recommend them, the early 75 versions are similar but not as sharp and longer, the late 75 versions become much more of a band effort with JPJ and Bonham contributing a lot more in the section where all three are playing.

On this day in 1972, I played with Led Zeppelin at Nassau Coliseum in New York. I believe we would have played this venue because there were Union issues at Madison Square Garden at this time. This is reputed to be Led Zeppelin's longest show; coming in at four and a half hours. If that's correct, there may well have been some Union issues at the Nassau Coliseum that night! http://www.jimmypage.com/

• 2 months later...

I'm 90% sure the 2nd longest Stairway is 1977/06/26, and I could've sworn that the longest No Quarter was from 1977/06/22. The longest ever Kashmir is from 1977/05/28. Now that I've said that, I'm gonna exit this thread before I have to see more people rag on the Noise Solo.

Longest Kashmir, that's not something talked about often...how long is it?

Longest Kashmir, that's not something talked about often...how long is it?

About 11 1/2 minutes

Because it was played at a slower tempo, IIRC..."Kashmir" was one o' those tunes where they pretty much stuck to the studio arrangement.

I have timed the four longest versions of No Quarter:

1. 6/22/77 - 34:08

2. 6/27/77 - 33:27

3. 6/26/77 - 32:12

4. 6/11/77 - 31:45

Maybe 6/23/77 is 5th at 30:45?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds about right...I want to say those five are the only '77 "No Quarter"'s to actually break the thirty minute mark.

Sounds about right...I want to say those five are the only '77 "No Quarter"'s to actually break the thirty minute mark.

That's probably right-6/21 & 6/25 are just over 29 minutes. Would that make those five the only "No Quarter"'s to ever break the 30-minute mark or does 3/27/75 get there without the cut in the tape?

Was listening to 3/27/75 today, reminded me why it's one of my favorite shows...anyway, I timed all of the songs and I think some of them might be the longest versions of that song:

Over The Hills - 8:33

In My Time Of Dying - 13:01

Trampled Under Foot second to 7/7/80 at 11:24?

Stairway - 12:30, longest of '75?

Black Dog - 6:35

Dazed is obviously the longest, but I noticed something that may support the claim by that guy you mentioned that it was 52 min. I think there are 3 cuts:

Before the call and response with Plant

After Mars The Bringer Of War

And now I think there's one right before the return to the main riff; YOLZ describes it as Bonham forcing Jimmy back into the riff, but listening carefully it sounds more like a cut to me...thoughts?

Oh, and No Quarter from that show is 28:36 with the cut so maybe half hour?

Was listening to 3/27/75 today, reminded me why it's one of my favorite shows...anyway, I timed all of the songs and I think some of them might be the longest versions of that song:

Dazed is obviously the longest, but I noticed something that may support the claim by that guy you mentioned that it was 52 min. I think there are 3 cuts:

And now I think there's one right before the return to the main riff; YOLZ describes it as Bonham forcing Jimmy back into the riff, but listening carefully it sounds more like a cut to me...thoughts?

there is definitely a cut. it is about 36.22 on "Deep Throat", right after where plant seems to be yelling some echoey "little lonelys", and the cut i hear is before they go back to the "crazy fast jam" as i call it. the fast jam where jones plays the crazy fast bassline and bonzo is going bezerk. then CUT, fast jam, then return to original theme.

1975/03/12 has the longest Heartbreaker.

listening to that... love the guy yelling "Jimmy Page!!!" during the guitar solo. (people with him were probably like duh dude, no shit!)

Speaking of that great HB, the black dog solo before it is rough. makes me wonder...

I have timed the four longest versions of No Quarter:

1. 6/22/77 - 34:08

2. 6/27/77 - 33:27

3. 6/26/77 - 32:12

4. 6/11/77 - 31:45

Maybe 6/23/77 is 5th at 30:45?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1975/03/12 has the longest Heartbreaker.

Hooray! I was at that one. My favourite "Heartbreaker" from 1975...love the "I'm a Man" jam. Jimmy's solo on this has a particularly nice and nasty sharp tone to it, reminiscent of the early days.

So, it looks like I was in the house for many of the longest performances of "No Quarter": 6/27/77; 6/26/77; 6/23/77; and 3/27/75. 6/21 and 6/25 shouldn't be too far behind, either, even if they are not 30 minutes plus.

Hooray! I was at that one. My favourite "Heartbreaker" from 1975...love the "I'm a Man" jam. Jimmy's solo on this has a particularly nice and nasty sharp tone to it, reminiscent of the early days.

So, it looks like I was in the house for many of the longest performances of "No Quarter": 6/27/77; 6/26/77; 6/23/77; and 3/27/75. 6/21 and 6/25 shouldn't be too far behind, either, even if they are not 30 minutes plus.

Wow, you saw some incredible shows!

You're right, 6/21 & 6/25 aren't very far behind...6/25 is 29:04 and I have 6/21 at 29:01, not sure if that's accurate though-I'll double check though. I'm not particularly fond of 6/25's NQ...definitely my least favorite of the LA '77 versions.

Archived