What If Led Zeppelin Did A New Album With A New Drummer For The Last Album Contract?

TheLastSpartan

Okay, so we all (or at least most) know that Coda came about for the fans who wanted more, and to fulfill a contract (With Atlantic Records, I think). So, what if for this new album, they got a new drummer? What would the songs be like? Who could of sat in for Bonham? Could a tour of possibly of happened had the songs been well received? Discuss!

Yea, this was totaly out of option aparently. This wasnt even given any thought prolly.

Just for the sake of discussion (for example, lets assume, they would have no leftovers they actually used, so they would HAVE TO record something), I am not quite a music historician to be found of trying to answer as of who would join them, nor I have an idea how they would sound like (maybe someone more familiar with JP, JPJ and Robers 80s work could have an idea?), but as for the tour... I think I can definitelly say that NO, no tour or more recordings would have been made. They would record just to fullfill the contract they had.

Okay, so we all (or at least most) know that Coda came about for the fans who wanted more, and to fulfill a contract (With Atlantic Records, I think). So, what if for this new album, they got a new drummer? What would the songs be like? Who could of sat in for Bonham? Could a tour of possibly of happened had the songs been well received? Discuss!

I have read many stories or reports of who was in consideration to "replace" John Bonham, but in truth and fact, no one could ever replace the only man who was fit to drum for Led Zeppelin. John Henry 'Bonzo' Bonham.

Ringo Starr

Carmine Appice

Phil Collins

Peter Criss

Ansley Dunbar

Carl Palmer...

John Henry Bonham may be gone, however, his "Presence" will outlive all of US and any other drummer to sit behind a drum kit.

I could see someone like a Phil Collins to help push an album project forward at that time. Their hearts would have not been into it and they would've needed someone to push them ahead with the project. It would've been horrible to be put in that position, especially after all they did for Atlantic Records.

I agree with SAJ's take on it, from a historical stand point.

How can you replace the irreplaceable?

Look what happened to The Who when they replaced Keith Moon - not the same band!

I remember plenty of rumours going around at the time in the UK press regarding who could fill Bonzo's shoes - the most bizarre being Peter Criss of Kiss!!!

Cozy Powell was the favourite I think as he was a friend of Bonham and had just left Rainbow. If anyone could had done it hypothetically it would have been him.

Thankfully they didn't.

Knowing Plant's unique personality and where he was at the time, I think if they did not have nay left over material they would have simply compiled some live material and released it. Either that or pull a Marvin Gaye, have Plant do a reggae album using Page & Jones as session guys along with other musicians and release it as a LZ album.

Who knows??? Either way the right choice was made IMO, and I firmly believe if Zep would have gone on Jimmy probably would not be with us today. That moment of pause after JB passed I believe is what eventually saved Jimmy.

Obviously no one could fill the stool that was left empty by Bonzo's death. However, for the sake of this conversation I would choose Cozy Powell. His two tracks on "Pictures at Eleven" just happen to be my favorite tracks on the album. IMO "Slow Dancer" could have fit very nicely on a Zeppelin album with a few minor tweaks.

So, what if for this new album, they got a new drummer? What would the songs be like? Who could of sat in for Bonham?

Probably Cozy and I think they would sound wild with him.

Songs? Again-wild!Different but raw and wild.He was such a personality,very much like Bonzo. I guess he'd fit almost perfectly if he had the chance.

Then again,I'm glad they've done what IMO was very honest and respectfull decision - they drew the line!

...So It Shall Be Done! :)

Cheers! :beer-up:

When albums were made in the 70s and 80s...40 or so songs were recorded and the best 10 or so chosen...Coda was a compellation of songs that didnt fit the other LPs...they could squeeze about 20 or so more sets out of stuff people have never heard from those tapes...look at what happened to Jimi Hendrix...there are 50 or so albums out there of that stuff...

Cozy Powell was the favourite I think as he was a friend of Bonham and had just left Rainbow. If anyone could had done it hypothetically it would have been him.

Rocks most undignified death...Cozy ran his Jag into a wall...and his dork was out of his pants...reports say his girlfriend was talking dirty to him on the cell-phone and he was wanking while driving...

I think Tony Thompson was the man picked by the surviving members...

When albums were made in the 70s and 80s...40 or so songs were recorded and the best 10 or so chosen...Coda was a compellation of songs that didnt fit the other LPs...they could squeeze about 20 or so more sets out of stuff people have never heard from those tapes...look at what happened to Jimi Hendrix...there are 50 or so albums out there of that stuff...

I think that's more how bands do it now. Out of the bands I follow, the newer bands generally have more non-album tracks.

I think Page has said many times that they used up just about all of their ideas during Zeppelin's recording career and studio bootlegs back up that fact.

Hendrix didn't have that many different ideas leftover, his relatives have just found ways to repackage the same stuff over and over. The only stuff worth a damn is the stuff like Cry of Love/First Rays of the New Rising Sun, which is the stuff he was working towards completing towards the end of his life.

Rocks most undignified death...Cozy ran his Jag into a wall...and his dork was out of his pants...reports say his girlfriend was talking dirty to him on the cell-phone and he was wanking while driving...

I think Tony Thompson was the man picked by the surviving members...

Never heard this report... I've heard that Cozy Powell was going 105 mph, he couldn't get the car into 5th gear, he was driving drunk, he was on his way to see his girlfriend, he was on the cell phone with her, one of the tires had a slow leak and that he clipped a guard rail. The last words anyone ever heard him say (his girlfriend) was "Oh shit"!. I've never heard he was wacking off.. sounds like bullshit ... not saying you didn't hear it,... and even if it was the case it wouldn't be rock's most undignified death, not by a long stretch.

edit from wikipedia

Cozy Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car crash while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. According to the BBC report, at the time of the crash, Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, he was not wearing a seatbelt, and he was talking to his girlfriend on his mobile phone. The official investigation also found evidence of a slow puncture in a rear tyre. It was suggested, that this could well have caused a sudden collapse of the tyre with a consequent loss of control of the car.[2]

---

The 3 surviving members of Zeppelin did jam with Tony Thompson after Live Aid. Robert Plant says he played a bit of Bass, JPJ was on Keys, and Jimmy Page had to change the batteries on his wah-wah every 10 minutes.

Tony Thompson was in a car accident and the whole thing fell apart..

Archived