Best Japan Tour Bootlegs

BigGoose62

I have found a recent discussion on here, but nothing much came of it. I have just started collecting recordings of shows, and have decided to get every Japan show. I am curious what everyone thinks is the best recording of each show. The previous discussion is here:

I have:

09/23/1971: Tokyo - First Attack of the Rising of the Sun (EVSD)

09/24/1971: Tokyo - Balloon Boys' Rock Carnival in Tokyo (EVSD)

09/27/1971: Hiroshima - Love & Peace (Bumble Bee)

09/28/1971: Osaka - The Bachelor Boys' First Stand in Osaka (EVSD)

09/29/1971: Osaka - Fatally Wanderer Definitive Edition (Wendy)

10/02/1972: Tokyo - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

10/03/1972: Tokyo - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

10/04/1972: Osaka - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

10/05/1972: Nagoya - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

10/09/1972: Osaka - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

10/10/1972: Kyoto - Live in Japan 1972 (Last Stand Disc)

I find it very hard to find reviews that compare these releases to each other, as well as reviews that are somewhat current. I understand that there have been repeated upgrades to these shows, so it's hard to know which show to look for. If you guys have tips of places for reviews and comparisons between recordings, I'd love to hear them.

I can't give you recommendations for all the shows, but maybe the following will be useful info for you on these three dates:

09/23/1971: Tokyo - Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete (no label). There's a 2011 remaster of this as well, but it's virtually indistinguishable from the original. Either version is fine, and it's definitely the best release of this show.

09/29/1971: Osaka - Fatally Wanderer Definitive Edition (Wendy) - this is probably still the best overall release. However, because of how weird the original main source is, and because of major variations in sound quality between the electric and acoustic tracks, you might also want to check out some of the vinyl-sourced boots of this date too, including "Spirited Away" (Group/Personal); "A Cellarful of Noise" (Noise Generator); and "Common Complaint in Osaka, Rice in Hair" (Eddie Edwards). I finally got fed up and made my own custom version of this show. Most of the tracks are drawn from one of these four sources.

10/02/1972: Tokyo - "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" (EVSD) - there are a million sources, let alone boots, for this date. But IMHO this one is the best. A fantastic audience tape. Just get this one and be done with it.

For the other 1972 dates, the Last Stand Disc series you have isn't always the best, but it's highly regarded overall.

Have fun!

Thank you. I have come across this place as well, and it has plenty of information. I am sure I will find it useful.

I can't give you recommendations for all the shows, but maybe the following will be useful info for you on these three dates:

09/23/1971: Tokyo - Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete (no label). There's a 2011 remaster of this as well, but it's virtually indistinguishable from the original. Either version is fine, and it's definitely the best release of this show.

09/29/1971: Osaka - Fatally Wanderer Definitive Edition (Wendy) - this is probably still the best overall release. However, because of how weird the original main source is, and because of major variations in sound quality between the electric and acoustic tracks, you might also want to check out some of the vinyl-sourced boots of this date too, including "Spirited Away" (Group/Personal); "A Cellarful of Noise" (Noise Generator); and "Common Complaint in Osaka, Rice in Hair" (Eddie Edwards). I finally got fed up and made my own custom version of this show. Most of the tracks are drawn from one of these four sources.

10/02/1972: Tokyo - "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" (EVSD) - there are a million sources, let alone boots, for this date. But IMHO this one is the best. A fantastic audience tape. Just get this one and be done with it.

For the other 1972 dates, the Last Stand Disc series you have isn't always the best, but it's highly regarded overall.

Have fun!

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm currently downloading Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete. I found it on ramble on zep, if anybody else needs it. I always forget to look there for a show before I search the rest of the internet. Glad I found it there.

For 09/29/1971, I think I will give your idea a try. If I can find all of those recordings, I will go through track by track and take the best from each.

And I will take your opinion for 10/02/1972. I found it as well, so I'll be able to check it out before too long.

Thank you for these suggestions. If you, or anyone else, have anymore suggestions for other dates...I'm all ears.

These are the ones I have and I'm very satisfied with all of them:

1. September 23, 1971 Tokyo: Watchtower's "Timeless Rock".

2. September 24, 1971 Tokyo: Scorpio's "Your Time Is Gonna Come", which comes with a bonus 4th disc of an alt source debuting 4 minutes of Whole Lotta Love.

3. September 27, 1971 Hiroshima: Bumble Bee's "Love & Peace in Hiroshima".

4. September 29, 1971 Osaka: EVSD's "You Were There In Spirits" and TDOLZ's "929".

5. October 9, 1972 Osaka: Idle Mind's "My Brain Hurts" on green vinyl.

Archived