Best and worst tribute bands...

darrin_h2000

On 3/26/2015 at 3:53 PM, Mothership Drummer said:

Hi Led Heads- I am the drummer for Mothership-THE Led Zeppelin Tribute Band. There is a band with the name Mothership in Canada( and I think Italy) but we're in Delaware, USA. I saw someone post on here about wanting to see a band that goes for the live versions. I put the band together with that exact frame of mind. My philosophy was pretty simple...Led Zeppelin didn't play like the record live, why should we? We go for the live "feel". The whole 'tight but loose' theory and it's been really successful. Plus, I'd be bored stiff playing the LP versions note for note every single time. I CAN do it but it takes all the fun out of it IMO. I'd like to try and get some videos up but there aren't many so I'll have to look around. In my opinion, NO ONE nails the record versions like GTLO! I've jammed with Paul Hammond and Billy Childs from GTLO on a couple of occasions and it was stellar! They are great guys and amazing players! Like GTLO, we do not go for a "look". When I see the band Kashmir's clip in this thread, I can't get past the blonde hooker wig or the fact that he doesn't sound like Plant any more than Jim Nabors would. I don't think the look or dressing up lends anything to the performance. I mean, a band could absolutely BLOW playing the music but look good doing it? Nah, I'll pass. LOL Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I absolutely love GTLO!! I’ve seen them over 35 times and will continue to see them each and every time I can! They play a lot here in their home state...So Living in Pennsylvania has its perks I guess. Haha. 
They absolutely kill it! they’re all so friendly and down to earth people. They take the time to get to know their fans and know me and my husband by name. We don’t do the meet and greet every time but we we can we squeeze it in! I always make sure to snag a set list and get it signed. 
there’s a few songs they don’t play... (which is a a totally bummer) but I’m still holding onto hope they’ll learn I’m gonna crawl! I’d love to heard Paul S. On that song! 
I have hundreds of pics and video of them if anyone is interested! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:25 PM, Brigante said:

Not so long back, people howled with laughter and sneered with undisguised derision at Stars In Their Eyes impersonators.
What the hell happened?! 

Mainly because they were useless- unlike like Jimmy Sakurai who is supremely talented-as is the rest of his band.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, bluecongo said:

I like Mr Jimmy Sakurai, he's very good.  I just wish he was a bit more reckless with his playing, Jimmy ALWAYS played on the absolute edge of his ability, taking chances constantly.

I agree that his playing is reckless. His missing of the notes (for lack of a better word) was all part of the songs. That’s what makes his playing so magical.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, Paganini said:

Mainly because they were useless- unlike like Jimmy Sakurai who is supremely talented-as is the rest of his band.

I don't think it is that, Pag. People just used to sneer at and dismiss anyone who didn't do their own stuff.
Cover bands, Working Men's Club Bands, etc, got zero respect anywhere. You just laughed at the very idea.
Being a grizzling, old-as-fuck curmudgeon, I still do.
Music used to mean everything to people - these days it just seems to be some trifling entertainment option! 

• 8 months later...

The Zep Boys are possibly the longest running tribute band around, performing since 1986.

I can remember seeing them a couple of times in their home town (Adelaide, South Australia) in the early 1990s. They've evolved a bit over the years and have toured the UK as "Led Zeppelin Masters", adding an extra twist by peforming with an orchestra. Their singer Vince is an excellent vocallist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SekNp2zAfKw

Edited by glennzo
video