LEGENDARY O'S MANAGER EARL WEAVER DEAD!

Strider

Woke up to this bit of sad news today. :(

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8859584

To this day, when I hear or think about the Baltimore Orioles, it is those classic Weaver Oriole teams of the late-60s to early-80s that come to mind first.

Esther and Rick, I know this news hits you hard. You have my sympathy. :console:

Woke up to this bit of sad news today. :(

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8859584

To this day, when I hear or think about the Baltimore Orioles, it is those classic Weaver Oriole teams of the late-60s to early-80s that come to mind first.

Esther and Rick, I know this news hits you hard. You have my sympathy. :console:

Oh my God!!! I did not see this!!! Thanks Strider. Man this is terrible. He was the best. Very sad news

I wonder if EBK knows? Man, i grew up with him

This breaks my heart. I grew up with Earl. He was the best.

This, of course, also comes to mind... he was certainly a colorful character. He will be missed...RIP Earl!!

Oh - very NSFW!! :)

There was no manager ever that could get under an umpire's skin like Earl. Some of the fights he had with umpires were legendary. When I grew up in the 70's the Yankees were door mats. The Orioles and Dodgers were the best and then the Reds were great. When the O's won the second series under Earl, after the heartbreaking upset loss to Seaver and Koosman's Mets, it was known as the Brooks Robinson series as Brooks was just incredible. But Earl managed great and the O's beat the soon to be mighty big red machine. 4 twenty game winners, a pitcher, Dave McNally who hit a memorable grand slam I will never forget, all came with Earl as the leader. Jim Palmer I am sure will issue a statement. We love you Earl

It's hard to admit this, but as a kid in the late 60s growing up in Maryland, I was a huge Washington Senators fan.

But I really liked the Orioles, as well, and the period under Earl Weaver was incredible.

As LZ77 mentioned, 4 20-game winners was unbelievable, and will probably never happen again.

I think I can still name the starting lineup-

Boog Powell at 1st

Davey Johnson at 2nd

Mark Bellanger at Short

Brooks at 3rd

Was Frank Robinson in Left or Right?

Wow, I'm blanking on the last 2 outfielders.

And Andy Etcheberren (spelling? That's a tough name) at catcher.

Let's see, Dave McNalley (I too, remember his grand slam), Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, and shit, blanking on the 4th starting pitcher.

I was a huge American League fan back then.

RIP, Earl.

One of the greats.

It's hard to admit this, but as a kid in the late 60s growing up in Maryland, I was a huge Washington Senators fan.

But I really liked the Orioles, as well, and the period under Earl Weaver was incredible.

As LZ77 mentioned, 4 20-game winners was unbelievable, and will probably never happen again.

Boog Powell at 1st

Davey Johnson at 2nd

Mark Bellanger at Short

Brooks at 3rd

Let's see, Dave McNalley (I too, remember his grand slam), Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, and shit, blanking on the 4th starting pitcher.

RIP, Earl.

One of the greats.

Pat Dobson

Boog Powell at 1st

Davey Johnson at 2nd

Mark Bellanger at Short

Brooks at 3rd

RIP, Earl.

One of the greats.

Hank Bauer was actually the mgr of the 66 squad.

Paul 'as we say in Baltimore Bel Air' was In Center Field. Dobson was the fourth 20 game winner in the rotation.

Yep, couldn't remember who the 4th 20 game winner was but knew that Blair was the centre fielder Type O was looking for.. I'm trying to come up with the third fielder and Googling is cheating :lol:

Yep, couldn't remember who the 4th 20 game winner was but knew that Blair was the centre fielder Type O was looking for.. I'm trying to come up with the third fielder and Googling is cheating :lol:

Off th top of my head I would say Don Buford but I'm not sure. The team he is referring to is the 1970 team.

Off th top of my head I would say Don Buford but I'm not sure. The team he is referring to is the 1970 team.

I may be wrong but I think it's the 71 club that lost out to Roberto Clemente and the Pirates in the WS

I may be wrong but I think it's the 71 club that lost out to Roberto Clemente and the Pirates in the WS

And guess who the manager was when we lost out in '79 to the We are Family Pirates? That's the reference the umpire is making to the blown World series, when he is arguing with first base umpire.

DING DING DING!

Not sure of the specific year, I just remember those guys on a regular basis.

But yes, Paul Blair and Don Buford are the other 2 outfielders I remember.

I still get chills watching Brooks Robinson dive out of bounds to stab a ball smoked behind third and fire to first in time for the put out.

Checking YouTube...

Got it!

Archived