Sports

Charles J. White

I actually don't understand NBA - I get the game but the rules I don't understand when it comes to times and running with the ball and some of the touching/blocking rules and so on. I never really understood NFL, the name should be changed to handball because it isn't football.

Understand ice hockey and the NHL but much prefer international hockey that seems to be more about skill. Baseball is good, but in Halifax they play cricket on the commons which I find to be more interesting over baseball.

Coach in the local kids football (soccer) league for years.

What sports are you into?

Participate in: Figure Skating, Cycling, Golf, Kickboxing (cardio class, not with a partner) and Roller Blade on occasion.

Wish I had time for: Cross Country Skiing, Swimming, Martial Arts

I will and do watch anything with the exception of auto racing.

Hey thats 5 golfers? I know Charles likes a round or too. Mrs CP plays also. So what do we play off?

I am a 14 handicap and looking to get down to 10 this season. Mrs CP plays off 34 but really she plays off about 25. She needs to tighten up on her putting because her driving and wood play is very impressive. She won 2 majors at the club last summer and regularly beats me

As they say: Driving for show, putting for dough

Hey thats 5 golfers? I know Charles likes a round or too. Mrs CP plays also. So what do we play off?

I am a 14 handicap and looking to get down to 10 this season. Mrs CP plays off 34 but really she plays off about 25. She needs to tighten up on her putting because her driving and wood play is very impressive. She won 2 majors at the club last summer and regularly beats me

As they say: Driving for show, putting for dough

I’m an expert at the Triple Bogey…I enjoy golf, but I really only enjoy it at Highlands Links (try and find that on map!) because you are golfing along the ocean and beside the mountains. Also enjoy Le Portage, and Dundee. I find the local city courses are too busy and high end for me tastes. In the city I enjoy the Links at Montague and Hartlen Point.

Played soccer up to the senior amatuer level and coached at that level as well. As a kid, played hockey, baseball, lacrosse. Ran track in high school and loved the odd game of tennis, In later years, it was all about golf for me. As for watching sports, all that I've listed plus NFL and college football. I'm no where near the sports junkie I used to be but I will take time out to watch the truely great events that pit the best the world has to offer against each other.

My view on sports, especially at the kid level, hasn't changed much over the years because in my view, things have only gotten worse. Participation is always a good thing if the kid enjoys it but I believe with team sports especially, that there's too much emphasis on winning at that level and no where enough emphasis on teaching the skills of the game. My view has always been that you don't really need too teach them to be competitive if you teach them the skills . The skills will bring out their competitive insticts and more importantly, teach them how to enjoy the game they're playing . I'm also a firm believer that if the kid enjoys their game, they'll be far more inclined to have a positive attitude both on and off the field.

I actually don't understand NBA - I get the game but the rules I don't understand when it comes to times and running with the ball and some of the touching/blocking rules and so on. I never really understood NFL, the name should be changed to handball because it isn't football.

Understand ice hockey and the NHL but much prefer international hockey that seems to be more about skill. Baseball is good, but in Halifax they play cricket on the commons which I find to be more interesting over baseball.

Coach in the local kids football (soccer) league for years.

What sports are you into?

Why is there no skill in the NHL? Do you know you have to be the best you can be at this sport to make it to the NHL? The best players in the World's dream is to play in the NHL. Football is more complicated and you must know the rules. Alot of women just cannot comprehend the meaning of "first down"> and how you get a first down. You can tell them a thousand times and they look at you like you are stupid. Baseball is not as cut and dry as it looks, but easier to understand than football. The offsides rules are the biggest problem in the NHL when explaining to women. Basketball, well not that comlicated on the rules, but the shemes and defenses and terms can be more complicated especially if you listen to a guy like Hubie Brown who is the mosts knowledgable guy on the planet when it comes to the sport of basketball.

Why is there no skill in the NHL? Do you know you have to be the best you can be at this sport to make it to the NHL? The best players in the World's dream is to play in the NHL. Football is more complicated and you must know the rules. Alot of women just cannot comprehend the meaning of "first down"> and how you get a first down. You can tell them a thousand times and they look at you like you are stupid. Baseball is not as cut and dry as it looks, but easier to understand than football. The offsides rules are the biggest problem in the NHL when explaining to women. Basketball, well not that comlicated on the rules, but the shemes and defenses and terms can be more complicated especially if you listen to a guy like Hubie Brown who is the mosts knowledgable guy on the planet when it comes to the sport of basketball.

Why would you think it's more difficult for women to grasp the concept of a first down? I understand it perfectly. If one doesn't get sports, then one doesn't get sports - both genders.

I don't play sports. I have terrible hand-eye coordination (or at least that's the excuse I'm going with). The only thing I'm any good at is bowling. I love bowling.

I love watching baseball. I like watching football and hockey. I occasionally watch basketball. I tried to get into cricket, but it didn't take. Although if the next time I'm in London there is a match at Lords, I'll go!

Why would you think it's more difficult for women to grasp the concept of a first down? I understand it perfectly. If one doesn't get sports, then one doesn't get sports - both genders.

I don't play sports. I have terrible hand-eye coordination (or at least that's the excuse I'm going with). The only thing I'm any good at is bowling. I love bowling.

I love watching baseball. I like watching football and hockey. I occasionally watch basketball. I tried to get into cricket, but it didn't take. Although if the next time I'm in London there is a match at Lords, I'll go!

I should have known this was coming. Let me correct myself. All the women I HAVE BEEN WITH have not been able to grasp it.

I tried to get into cricket, but it didn't take. Although if the next time I'm in London there is a match at Lords, I'll go!

Oh you must. The Aussies are here this summer and if the weather is good and the beer flows it's a cracking day out. Here are the Barmy Army, Englands die hard fans,taking over the Sydney Cricket Ground

http://youtu.be/bNoOiScwtzk

I used to play a lot of golf at some really wonderful courses . My favorite is called Swan-e-set Bay. It was designed by Lee Teavino and was featured in the movie Happy Gilmore. It's about a 20 minute drive from my place and I'd quite beautiful. I used to shoot in the high 80's low 90's but don't get to play much these days . Can't afford it. I really enjoy smoking pot while I golf!

I should have known this was coming. Let me correct myself. All the women I HAVE BEEN WITH have not been able to grasp it.

Happy to provide you with the opportunity to clarify yourself... :)

Oh you must. The Aussies are here this summer and if the weather is good and the beer flows it's a cracking day out. Here are the Barmy Army, Englands die hard fans,taking over the Sydney Cricket Ground

Sounds lovely! A bunch of my friends over here are totally into cricket, so I follow it peripherally. Because of them, Lords is now close to the top of my list of things to do next time.

Happy to provide you with the opportunity to clarify yourself... :)

Esther, you are a unicorn when it comes to women. A very rare thiing to find a woman that understands sports to their fullest. Its just a fact. Most of them hate football. Why do you think they call them football widows?

I used to play a lot of golf at some really wonderful courses . My favorite is called Swan-e-set Bay. It was designed by Lee Teavino and was featured in the movie Happy Gilmore. It's about a 20 minute drive from my place and I'd quite beautiful. I used to shoot in the high 80's low 90's but don't get to play much these days . Can't afford it. I really enjoy smoking pot while I golf!

My mate smokes when he plays Babs - for me no. I would get more frustrated if my driving is wayward. And anyway if a played amazing I would be drug tested :D Sounds a cracker of a course. Mrs CP and I had a fortnight in Portugal the year before last and it was stunning.

As a kid I played a lot of US sports,baseball,football,street hockey(no skates!) basketball,...

Then I got into track&field,shot put mostly and qualified for the 1984 US Olympic trials,blew out both of my rotator cuffs.

My true passion became the Scottish Highland Games-Heavy events.Putting the stone(2 styles and all stones were different),28/56 weights for distance,hammer throw(16/22lbs),56lbs weight for height and caber toss(an accuracy throw) Great fun! And an Irish kilt to piss off the crowd! :D

My mate smokes when he plays Babs - for me no. I would get more frustrated if my driving is wayward. And anyway if a played amazing I would be drug tested :D Sounds a cracker of a course. Mrs CP and I had a fortnight in Portugal the year before last and it was stunning.

I found that I was a mediocre golfer wether I abstained or not . I also like a hot dog and a cold drink after the ninth hole lol.

I was golfing with my 2 brothers and my Dad last summer. My younger brother was riding with Pop and he hacked a shot into the trees. I wanted a puff so I lied and told him it was farther in than he thought. He and dad were looking all over the place so it gave me enough time for a nice smoke and we were chuckling.... Lotta fun. I think I bogeyed that hole.....

As a kid I played a lot of US sports,baseball,football,street hockey(no skates!) basketball,...

Then I got into track&field,shot put mostly and qualified for the 1984 US Olympic trials,blew out both of my rotator cuffs.

My true passion became the Scottish Highland Games-Heavy events.Putting the stone(2 styles and all stones were different),28/56 weights for distance,hammer throw(16/22lbs),56lbs weight for height and caber toss(an accuracy throw) Great fun! And an Irish kilt to piss off the crowd! :D

As a distance runner in College I hung out with the weight throwers for meals. As my skinny endurance counterparts would head for a Wendy's for the salad bar, I would head across the street to the Denny's all you could eat buffet. For some reason, I can't figure out why I weigh 100 lbs more than I did since abandoning my competition days.

That's one a hell of an accomplishment qualifying for the Olympic trails KB B) Sorry you injured yourself. Must have been a major disappointment :(

I found that I was a mediocre golfer wether I abstained or not . I also like a hot dog and a cold drink after the ninth hole lol.

I was golfing with my 2 brothers and my Dad last summer. My younger brother was riding with Pop and he hacked a shot into the trees. I wanted a puff so I lied and told him it was farther in than he thought. He and dad were looking all over the place so it gave me enough time for a nice smoke and we were chuckling.... Lotta fun. I think I bogeyed that hole.....

Damn, in your country I would be scared to post I am using. You cant even get across the border there for having a drink 25 yrs ago. Nazi fucking cops you have there. They probably have your computer on surveylance. Big Brother is watchin! The streets are watchin.

Archived