Sports

Charles J. White

Yep, live in Florida but I'm still a Mets fan, remember Florida didn't have any baseball teams 'til the mid 90s I think. I had an Uncle from New York who got me into the Metropolitans.

Answer me this question. Are the Ny Jets named for the gang in the movie West Side Story? I am sure they are but could be wrong?

Never watched West Side Story and I'm not a Jets fan, so I have no idea.

Dude, never watched West Side Story!!! Classic. Must see. Musical. Two gangs in NY, one is the Jets. The song I sang to Black Dawg is from the movie. When You're a jet you're a Jet. his team got whacked by the Winnipeg jets last night. Natalie Wood starred in the movie as Maria. You have to see it once. Its like the Wizard of Oz. You just have to see it once. Gone with the Wind. A classic

Dude, never watched West Side Story!!! Classic. Must see. Musical. Two gangs in NY, one is the Jets. The song I sang to Black Dawg is from the movie. When You're a jet you're a Jet. his team got whacked by the Winnipeg jets last night. Natalie Wood starred in the movie as Maria. You have to see it once. Its like the Wizard of Oz. You just have to see it once. Gone with the Wind. A classic

This has to be one of my favorites of all of your posts. I'm not sure why, but it's great! :D

EBK, I believe the Jets were named for the movie? Do you happen to know?

That would have been a great story, but alas, it's not quite true... From the NY Jets website, The Year in Review: 1963

April 15, Name Game

On April 15, Werblin, the club's president and CEO, renamed the team the Jets. The reasons were twofold. At the time, the United States was entering the "Space" or "Jet" age. Commercial airlines were filling the air and soon there would be men walking on the moon. Also the Jets' new venue, Shea Stadium, would be located in Flushing Meadows, between LaGuardia and Idlewild (later renamed Kennedy) airports. Hence, the name New York Jets

Too bad. West Side Story is my fave musical of all times.

That would have been a great story, but alas, it's not quite true... From the NY Jets website, The Year in Review: 1963

April 15, Name Game

On April 15, Werblin, the club's president and CEO, renamed the team the Jets. The reasons were twofold. At the time, the United States was entering the "Space" or "Jet" age. Commercial airlines were filling the air and soon there would be men walking on the moon. Also the Jets' new venue, Shea Stadium, would be located in Flushing Meadows, between LaGuardia and Idlewild (later renamed Kennedy) airports. Hence, the name New York Jets

Too bad. West Side Story is my fave musical of all times.

Thanks for that info. I had assumed that is why they named them the Jets after the gang. That is how I think. I just emailed Starbucks advertising with an idea to promote their new coffee. I have way too much time on my hands

To watch: I love to watch swimming and dance (which my kids do, but I enjoy watching them in general!). Contemporary/lyrical dance is my favorite genre to watch; I wish I had taken it up when I was younger (yeah I know, it's never too late, but there's no time right now). I still love to watch soccer and lacrosse, even though my son doesn't play anymore; lax is really big here. My younger daughter wants to take up lacrosse in another year or two; she already has a lax stick. I also enjoy watching my favorite college football teams (not so much NFL though).

To do: mostly walking/running right now, although I also really enjoy tennis and swimming, hiking and biking. And disorganized soccer/football games among friends :)

I would rather listen to crickets in the woods

Is it because?:

a) You are not world champions at it

B) You don't understand it

c) You haven't the patience for 5 days of action

d) You don't have a world series of it ( see a)

e) There is no fanfare and dancing girls

f) No chicken wings

;)

Is it because?:

a) You are not world champions at it

B) You don't understand it

c) You haven't the patience for 5 days of action

d) You don't have a world series of it ( see a)

e) There is no fanfare and dancing girls

f) No chicken wings

;)

I cant stand golf either. Or Lacrosse. To each his own.

I cant stand golf either. Or Lacrosse. To each his own.

I can't believe you would say that about America's sport. Lacrosse is not only a sport, it is medicine. Hockey and lacrosse are so similar that most Canadians play a form of it called box in the summer. They transform the ice rinks into lacrosse courts.

To me lacrosse is the greatest amateur sport that exists. People play the game poorly for the sport and the reward of it. To the native American people it was called the little brother of war. Feuding tribes would often play a lacrosse game to decide disputes. If the braves did not honor the game by playing with enough enthusiasm, the women spectators would run up to them and beat them until the spirit filled them to continue with vigor.

Just think if you could have done that to Enroth last night, how satisfied you would have felt.

http://sportresourcegroup.com/tag/outdoor-box-lacrosse-system

Lacrosse-statue(1).jpg

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/winter10/lacrosse.cfm

I can't believe you would say that about America's sport. Lacrosse is not only a sport, it is medicine. Hockey and lacrosse are so similar that most Canadians play a form of it called box in the summer. They transform the ice rinks into lacrosse courts.

To me lacrosse is the greatest amateur sport that exists. People play the game poorly for the sport and the reward of it. To the native American people it was called the little brother of war. Feuding tribes would often play a lacrosse game to decide disputes. If the braves did not honor the game by playing with enough enthusiasm, the women spectators would run up to them and beat them until the spirit filled them to continue with vigor.

Just think if you could have done that to Enroth last night, how satisfied you would have felt.

http://sportresource...lacrosse-system

Lacrosse-statue(1).jpg

http://www.history.o...10/lacrosse.cfm

Oh they were filled with the spirits all righty. Vodka, bourbon, rye. As much as I love hockey I do not care for Lacrosse. We have a team here called the Knighthawks and they play against the Buffalo Bandits. No thanks. Its not the same even though it involves shooting the ball into the net and so does soccer. I like soccer, but am pretty much a follower during the world cup only. They have lied to us so many times here in rochester about going MLS. We have a pretty good soccer town here. The old Lancers used to do very well. They once played the NY cosmos and Pele for the title at the old Aquinas stadium, but was then renamed Hollider stadium in honor of a war hero that died in Viet Nam. The Buffalo Bills once played the Houston Oilers there in an exhibition game around 1965 or so. Watching Lacrosse and ice hockey are two different animals played by very different people.

Thank you.

Rather harsh, but if you insist on looking for cricket balls in the woods, as a batsman I will do my best....

No offesne intended but some of your fellow Brits have been as harsh in their takes on our game of american football. So touche so to speak.

Anyone into running or riding bicycles?

Cycling yes! I road bike several times a week in the good weather. I also enjoy mountain biking, but this is one of the few things in life that I won't do alone. No one in my current circle is interested in it. I do not run any longer and have no desire to start again.

And you?

Archived