Chicken wing shortage threatens Super Bowl Sunday

ZEPFAN17

• From FOX NEWS
  • Last Updated: 3:22 PM, January 24, 2013
  • Posted: 10:06 AM, January 24, 2013

First it was bacon, now it's chicken wings. With less than two weeks to go before the big game, football fans may find it a bit harder to find their favorite Super Bowl snack.

The National Chicken Council released a report that said the demand for wings this year is at “an all-time high” due to decreased wing production caused by the high cost of corn and feed prices. Wings are currently the highest priced portion of a chicken and cost $2.11 a pound in the Northeast, up 12 percent from last year.

The organization has lowered the estimated number of wings to be consumed during Super Bowl weekend to 1.23 billion wing segments, 12.3 million less than last year. That's about 1 percent, says the council.

122708WingsZM42100412--300x300.jpg

Zandy Mangold

Jasmine will serve you wings at Hooters in Midtown Manhattan.

“Chicken companies produced about 1 percent fewer birds last year, due in large part to record high corn and feed prices,” Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council said in a release. “Corn makes up more than two-thirds of chicken feed and corn prices hit an all-time high in 2012, due to two reasons: last summer’s drought and pressure from a federal government requirement that mandates 40 percent of our corn crop be turned into fuel in the form of ethanol. Simply put, less corn equals higher feed costs, which means fewer birds produced.”

Americans are serious about their chicken wings. Second only to Thanksgiving, Super Bowl weekend is the biggest eating day of the year, and chicken wings are the most popular dish. To give you a picture of just how many wings fan will chow down on, The National Chicken Council says if those 1.23 billion chicken wing segments were laid end to end, they would stretch between the San Francisco 49ers Candlestick Park and the Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 27 times.

Read more at FoxNews.com.

This could be trouble for many Superbowl menus

• From FOX NEWS
  • Last Updated: 3:22 PM, January 24, 2013
  • Posted: 10:06 AM, January 24, 2013

First it was bacon, now it's chicken wings. With less than two weeks to go before the big game, football fans may find it a bit harder to find their favorite Super Bowl snack.

The National Chicken Council released a report that said the demand for wings this year is at “an all-time high” due to decreased wing production caused by the high cost of corn and feed prices. Wings are currently the highest priced portion of a chicken and cost $2.11 a pound in the Northeast, up 12 percent from last year.

The organization has lowered the estimated number of wings to be consumed during Super Bowl weekend to 1.23 billion wing segments, 12.3 million less than last year. That's about 1 percent, says the council.

122708WingsZM42100412--300x300.jpg

Zandy Mangold

Jasmine will serve you wings at Hooters in Midtown Manhattan.

“Chicken companies produced about 1 percent fewer birds last year, due in large part to record high corn and feed prices,” Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council said in a release. “Corn makes up more than two-thirds of chicken feed and corn prices hit an all-time high in 2012, due to two reasons: last summer’s drought and pressure from a federal government requirement that mandates 40 percent of our corn crop be turned into fuel in the form of ethanol. Simply put, less corn equals higher feed costs, which means fewer birds produced.”

Americans are serious about their chicken wings. Second only to Thanksgiving, Super Bowl weekend is the biggest eating day of the year, and chicken wings are the most popular dish. To give you a picture of just how many wings fan will chow down on, The National Chicken Council says if those 1.23 billion chicken wing segments were laid end to end, they would stretch between the San Francisco 49ers Candlestick Park and the Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 27 times.

Read more at FoxNews.com.

This could be trouble for many Superbowl menus

I just looked at the pic and I am now brain dead

Special occasion? You think they ever actually use real chicken? :D

Nope I'm sure they don't. My mate has " the colonel " visit him every thursday evening WITHOUT fail. He will not hear a bad word said about our bearded chuck cook. I ate it once at Bangkok airport it was magnificent. But then again i was never sure what the BBQ stuff was on the Island I lived on ;) I suspect it was cat :o

Let them eat jellybeans

I think that is the filling Mrs. Welker is stuffed with 'cause that ain't natural looking. Do we need to snopes that, to find out if they are real chicken parts?

Maybe Anjin-sin could help us out, considering he is a New Englader.

I think that is the filling Mrs. Welker is stuffed with 'cause that ain't natural looking. Do we need to snopes that, to find out if they are real chicken parts?

Maybe Anjin-sin could help us out, considering he is a New England er.

What can I help you with Dawg?

Factory-Farmed Chickens: Their Difficult Lives and Deaths

May 14, 2007

chickens-11.jpgMore than 9 billion chickens, along with half a billion turkeys, are slaughtered for food in the United States each year. This number represents more than 95 percent of the land animals killed for food in the country. Worldwide, more than 50 billion chickens are raised and slaughtered annually.

Chickens are sociable, intelligent animals. Studies have shown that they are able to solve problems and, unlike young children, grasp the permanence of objects (they understand that objects taken from view continue to exist). Their natural behavior includes living in stable groups of 30 or so that employ a social hierarchy (the origin of the term pecking order). The chickens in a given flock all know and recognize each other. Their communal activities include scratching and pecking for food, running around, taking dust baths, and resting. They crow and chirp in a range of some 30 meaningful vocalizations. Chickens also have a strong urge to nest, and, like most animal mothers, they nurture their young attentively and affectionately. A hen carefully tends her eggs in the nest, turning them up to five times an hour and clucking to them; remarkably, the unborn chicks chirp back to her and to one another. People who have had opportunities to become acquainted with chickens—for example, while growing up on farms or visiting farm-animal sanctuaries—often remark on how affectionate chickens can be and how they seem to have their own personalities.

Through the 1950s, even chickens raised for eventual slaughter were kept in traditional small coops of no more than 60 or so birds, with free access to the outdoors; they could nest, roost, and share space according to their natural behavior. But modern large-scale farming practices (“factory farming”) give chickens no opportunity to behave according to their nature. Quite the contrary—the reality of the life and death of factory-farmed chickens, both those raised for meat and those used to lay eggs, is shocking.

chickens-2-300x227.jpgAs in all factory-farming industries, chicken production is designed for maximum efficiency and maximum profit. With these goals, regard for the welfare of the animals involved is a luxury that reduces profits unless the extra costs can be passed on to the consumer (as on the much-publicized but less frequently seen “free-range” meat and egg farms). The results are overcrowding, disease, high death rates, and observable unhappiness for the animals involved.

Source http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/advocacy/2007/05/the-difficult-lives-and-deaths-of-factory-farmed-chickens/

Archived